flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Pen-sized PC!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Post 15 Sep 2009, 11:39
Pinecone_

Pinecone_
wow. I wonder how the projector would go in a light room though... and the battery life couldn't be that great.
Post 15 Sep 2009, 11:47
Borsuc

Borsuc
Kinda old news, and I don't think it succeeded.

Post 15 Sep 2009, 14:10
Picnic

Picnic
I've bought a similar projector keyboard a couple of years ago, it looks so cool inside a dark room.
Well, i throw my money, i used it only for a few hours and replaced it with a classic 102 keys keyboard.

Still, it's a cool gadget Smile
Post 15 Sep 2009, 14:40
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
No, it "didn't succeed" since it remained a prototype, but that doesn't mean it couldn't succeed and I don't see why it wouldn't.
Revolutionary ideas don't always succeed from the first time as history has repeatedly shown us, and sometimes creative and visionary people will be laughed at and then they will succeed and the same people who first laughed at them will use their creation.

I'm sure this could replace most portable devices and could sell millions of units if it was cheep enough. 30,000 USD might be a lot today, but so were GFLOPS in 1997.

More info about it: http://www.wave-report.com/other-html-files/P-ISM%202.htm
Post 15 Sep 2009, 14:53
Borsuc

Borsuc
Did you look at the dates of the articles?
It's actually bulkier than a cellphone or iPod, if you put all pens together. What's so awesome about it?

Post 15 Sep 2009, 15:00
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Borsuc wrote:
Did you look at the dates of the articles?

Yes, and as I said before, it's "old news", but such a computer could still be very useful in 2009 and later.

Borsuc wrote:
It's actually bulkier than a cellphone or iPod, if you put all pens together

Why do you think about entertainment only? Could you do word processing on a cellphone or iPod for instance? I don't think so.
This is a Personal Computer replacement. If it was used instead of desktops, desktop replacement computers or laptops, it would save even more space in offices. The point is, it's smaller than the smallest portable computer and you're comparing apples with oranges.
Post 15 Sep 2009, 16:41
Borsuc

Borsuc
ManOfSteel wrote:
Yes, and as I said before, it's "old news", but such a computer could still be very useful in 2009 and later.
My question is: how do you know it's still alive if there's no recent article about it?
That's why I said it didn't succeed -- I haven't seen anything new about it.
What processor do they use? NEC? Anything other than Intel or AMD? That's a bit ridiculous isn't it, considering that it's probably much better than the Intel Atom in this respect -- which I hardly believe.

They even say so in the article:
Quote:
We've dubbed this item "partly true" because, as far as we know, no functional prototype of P-ISM system was built or displayed. The items shown in these pictures were more on the level of props created to show off a concept for something that might be built.
Question

ManOfSteel wrote:
Why do you think about entertainment only? Could you do word processing on a cellphone or iPod for instance? I don't think so.
This is a Personal Computer replacement. If it was used instead of desktops, desktop replacement computers or laptops, it would save even more space in offices. The point is, it's smaller than the smallest portable computer and you're comparing apples with oranges.
Impossible, at least if you want to call it a computer and not "internet browser" or something like that. Netbooks are already very underpowered for "a computer replacement".

Post 15 Sep 2009, 21:37
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
It's not alive and we all know it (don't we?). We're talking about the CONCEPT, about a NEW MODEL of computers here.

Why should we care if NEC missed the opportunity for short-term, obtuse, financial reasons (I guess)? If the concept is interesting (and it surely is), it will probably be copied and commercialized by someone else or another corporation at any time.

As for the processor, who cares? Today processors are something processors 4 years ago were not. If this PC was produced and sold today by a more commercially intelligent company, it would have another, better, more modern, processor. Also, I don't think an excessive processing power is necessarily the main priority in such computers.

Why are YOU talking about netbooks? Just because this computer is even smaller than a netbook doesn't mean it couldn't do office work efficiently, i.e. in a better, easier, and more comfortable way than a netbook could possibly do. We're into fruits again.

Does office work require so much power anyway? Heck, it can be done on a 15+ years-old 66Mhz, 64MB RAM computer!
Post 16 Sep 2009, 10:55
Borsuc

Borsuc
ManOfSteel wrote:
Why should we care if NEC missed the opportunity for short-term, obtuse, financial reasons (I guess)? If the concept is interesting (and it surely is), it will probably be copied and commercialized by someone else or another corporation at any time.
Like the 10Ghz processors concept? Wink

In the future, you won't need a computer for office work. You'll have a "OfficeBook" or "iOffice" or something Razz

If it's only for office use, I wouldn't call it a computer, but that's just me. Razz

Post 16 Sep 2009, 13:22
MHajduk

MHajduk
ManOfSteel wrote:
Have you seen this? It's old but still interesting.

http://gadgetopia.com/post/4735
http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/pcpen.asp
I liked very much an idea of the virtual keyboard displayed directly on the desk. Wink I have a typical PC keyboard with QWERTY Latin layout and I have some troubles when I want to type some text in Cyrillic (of course, I remember already location of all Cyrillic letters, but it isn't too much comfortable anyway). Easiness of change of layout in such virtual keyboard is greatest advantage in my opinion. Wink
Post 16 Sep 2009, 13:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Borsuc wrote:
Like the 10Ghz processors concept?

WTF?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/12/11/intel_plans_1500_10ghz_pc/
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/intel-predicts-10ghz-chips-by-2011-20000726/

Borsuc wrote:
In the future, you won't need a computer for office work. You'll have a "OfficeBook" or "iOffice" or something

WTF bis?

Borsuc wrote:
If it's only for office use, I wouldn't call it a computer, but that's just me.

Uh huh, and you'd call it, what? A dairy cow maybe? Rolling Eyes
IYHO what exactly does qualify something as a "computer"? Only something that bleeps and enables you to play Second Life?
Post 16 Sep 2009, 14:47
windwakr

windwakr
MHajduk, heres a keyboard with customizable configuration, each key is a screen.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

ONLY 1692.31 US$(1257.14€)

Post 16 Sep 2009, 15:45
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Post 16 Sep 2009, 16:07
MHajduk

MHajduk
windwakr wrote:
Huh! I think I have no choice and the best option would be to accustom to my old keyboard. Mr. Green
Post 16 Sep 2009, 16:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
I'm not following you -- that just proves my point. Everyone in 1999 was like "oh man we'll have 10Ghz by 2005" or something like that, they had no clue it would be so problematic, as we are today using more cores instead. Confused

And of course put it in concept -- i'm not talking about supercomputers or overclocking anyway.

ManOfSteel wrote:
Uh huh, and you'd call it, what? A dairy cow maybe? Rolling Eyes
IYHO what exactly does qualify something as a "computer"? Only something that bleeps and enables you to play Second Life?
What does make a computer hooked to telephone satellite a computer (just so you don't use the excuse that a phone has that capability) and a cellphone not a computer?

What doesn't make an iPod a computer?
The operating system?

Post 16 Sep 2009, 17:12
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Borsuc wrote:
I'm not following you -- that just proves my point.

Humm, for some reason I had trouble understanding your "point", whatever it was...

Borsuc wrote:
Everyone in 1999 was like "oh man we'll have 10Ghz by 2005" or something like that

So they were off by 4 years or so? Oh, shame on them!
RAM or HDD space or processing power were very expensive years ago and today they're much cheaper. 15 years ago people could only DREAM of Ghz CPUs and today all CPUs are multi-core and each core is multi-Ghz.
The Japanese guy made a prototype (cf. 3rd article) and some parts have been available for years. In other words, this model of "pocket" computer is feasible in the near future if not today! So what was your point again?

Borsuc wrote:
they had no clue it would be so problematic, as we are today using more cores instead

Yeah, and in the end we achieved the initially desired result: more processing power. So what's the "BIG problem"?

Borsuc wrote:
What does make a computer hooked to telephone satellite a computer (just so you don't use the excuse that a phone has that capability) and a cellphone not a computer?

What doesn't make an iPod a computer?
The operating system?

Well, by definition all these are computers since they can "store, retrieve, and process data"... And so is P-ISM.
I said P-ISM could be very useful for office work (which BTW isn't necessarily what it was designed for) but you said it shouldn't be called "a computer" just because of that, but this is wrong since 1) it could have many other uses and could very well replace the desktop computers we use in offices or at home, and 2) it's not the "intended use" of a device that makes it "a computer" or not, anyway, but the simple fact that it computes data.
Post 16 Sep 2009, 19:46
Borsuc

Borsuc
ManOfSteel wrote:
So they were off by 4 years or so? Oh, shame on them!
RAM or HDD space or processing power were very expensive years ago and today they're much cheaper. 15 years ago people could only DREAM of Ghz CPUs and today all CPUs are multi-core and each core is multi-Ghz.
The Japanese guy made a prototype (cf. 3rd article) and some parts have been available for years. In other words, this model of "pocket" computer is feasible in the near future if not today! So what was your point again?
We already have slim cellphones and other portable devices.
I think it's feasible in the past, I already have one in my pocket.

ManOfSteel wrote:
Well, by definition all these are computers since they can "store, retrieve, and process data"... And so is P-ISM.
I said P-ISM could be very useful for office work (which BTW isn't necessarily what it was designed for) but you said it shouldn't be called "a computer" just because of that, but this is wrong since 1) it could have many other uses and could very well replace the desktop computers we use in offices or at home, and 2) it's not the "intended use" of a device that makes it "a computer" or not, anyway, but the simple fact that it computes data.
You didn't answer my question. Is an iPod or a cellphone a computer too? After all it computes data.

That means, we already have pocket computers, and had for a long time.
5 pens... hmm I prefer a much slimmer cellphone thanks!

There is a long way from academic research to the market, you know?

Post 16 Sep 2009, 23:57
windwakr

windwakr
Ya, newer cellphones a basically a tiny late 90's computer with phone functionality.

Post 17 Sep 2009, 02:19
shoorick

shoorick
Quote:

then i shell lay to sofa and wait a little unitl it will be ONLY 16.9231 US$(12.5714€)
Post 17 Sep 2009, 05:03

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: