flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > volt vs amps?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i got one problem. i got 2 adaptor,
1st adaptor = 19V ~ 4.24A
2nd adaptor = 19V ~ 3.42A

so, the question is, could i use adaptor A on laptop that accept 19V ~ 3.42A ?

thank you.
Post 09 Sep 2009, 06:33
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
so, the question is, could i use adaptor A on laptop that accept 19V ~ 3.42A ?
Yes. Current is drawn by a device, not forced into it by an adaptor, so no problem whatsoever.
Post 09 Sep 2009, 06:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
You just have to assume that 1st means adaptor A Smile
Post 09 Sep 2009, 07:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Madis731 wrote:
You just have to assume that 1st means adaptor A Smile
Actually it doesn't matter which is A because both adapters can supply enough current. That is why I didn't even bother to ask. Razz
Post 09 Sep 2009, 07:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
But the adapter A could be some completely different adapter not listed here. Wink
Like, if he used hexadecimal system to number the adapters, then he told us, what are the parameters of adapters 1 and 2, but not of the adapter A. Wink Perhaps we could extrapolate?
Hello, Madis!
Post 09 Sep 2009, 08:38
revolution

revolution
Okay then, you guys win.

sleepsleep, which adapter is A? What are adapter A's specs?

Mr. Green
Post 09 Sep 2009, 08:52
neville

neville
Of course there is also the question as to whether or not Adapters 1,2,3,...A have the matching type of connector to the laptop Laughing
And: laptops are often very sensitive to on-load voltage and will not run if the voltage is outside some very narrow limits such as +-0.05V (intended to ensure that only "genuine" adaptors can be used...)

Post 09 Sep 2009, 09:32
revolution

revolution
neville wrote:
And: laptops are often very sensitive to on-load voltage and will not run if the voltage is outside some very narrow limits such as +-0.05V (intended to ensure that only "genuine" adaptors can be used...)
Nonsense. No such thing. Maybe you forgot to put a smiley there?
Post 09 Sep 2009, 09:55
shoorick

shoorick
Quote:
laptop that accept 19V ~ 3.42A

means, that laptop will work with adaptor which has 19V output and its maximum load >= 3.42A
Post 09 Sep 2009, 10:01
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

Actually it doesn't matter which is A because both adapters can supply enough current.

ok, so adaptor 1st = 19V ~ 4.24A
2nd adaptor = 19V ~ 3.42A.

the problem is, the laptop original adaptor is 19V ~ 3.42A, but i found a same adaptor with same hole but output (19V ~ 4.24A)

i was worried if more amps could kill the laptop in long term.
coz i am putting more 0.82A into the laptop....

i tried already, the laptop could be turned on, but i am worried in long run. possibly damage the laptop???? anyone could confirm.

Quote:

But the adapter A could be some completely different adapter not listed here. Wink
Like, if he used hexadecimal system to number the adapters, then he told us, what are the parameters of adapters 1 and 2, but not of the adapter A. Wink Perhaps we could extrapolate?

hehehe Razz
Post 09 Sep 2009, 10:49
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep, the current rating is the maximum available supply. If the laptop won't take the maximum then that causes absolutely no harm whatsoever. Check out Ohm's Law.

Going the other way though might not work. A heavier use laptop on a lighter capable adapter would probably not be 100% good. Although it could work in most cases just that any really heavy usage, like when you are charging and also running the CPU at 100% at the same time, then you might find the adapter will just turn off due to overload.
Post 09 Sep 2009, 10:55
shoorick

shoorick
voltage depends on adaptor, current depends on laptop
Quote:

1st adaptor = 19V ~ 4.24A

means: this adaptor may output 19V and current in range from 0 till 4.24A. bigger current may cause damage of adaptor or decreasing voltage.
these all numbers say: you may not use with your notebook any adapter with voltage not 19V and current less then 3.42A

my wall outlet has 220V and, say, 10A (as autoswitch lets). how do you think, if i have a lamp 220V 22W (22W/220V=0.1A) - will it be damaged if i will plug it to this outlet? Wink
Post 09 Sep 2009, 11:00
Madis731

Madis731
Rule of thumb!
1) Voltage MUST be the same (though it can fluctuate ±10% easily)
2) Amperage - the bigger, the better*

*but bigger amperage means that you're not using it at its optimal consumption level (but that usually doesn't mean anything)
Skim through this if you like

Lower amperage ...ah, heck, lets make an example:
- Your laptop needs (hungers) 2A (amps)
- Adapter X gives 4A
- Adapter Y gives 1A

What will happen:
X works fine with your laptop
Y not so fine
What might happen:
1a) Y will 'play' with your laptop, but not charge
1b) Y will 'play' and charge, but charging takes like a gazillion years Very Happy

PS. Mozilla's spell-check allowed 'gazillion'-usage Wink
Post 09 Sep 2009, 12:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
ic, i think i get it now.

so, rule of thumb, it is 19V so no problem.
another thing, required is 3.42, but i provide 4.42, so, working fine, wouldn't explode the laptop in long term!! hehehehe.
Post 09 Sep 2009, 12:47
Alphonso

Alphonso
shoorick wrote:
my wall outlet has 220V and, say, 10A (as autoswitch lets). how do you think, if i have a lamp 220V 22W (22W/220V=0.1A) - will it be damaged if i will plug it to this outlet? Wink
Possibly, if the lamp comes with a cable it is likely that the cable will not be rated for 10A and perhaps it's not fused either. Since the lamp is only 22W maybe they use a 1A cable. Something causes a short but because the short draws 10A through the resistance of the short and cable the breaker does not trip and the cheap cable is subjected to a part of ~2KW of power and bursts into flame burning the house down.

Having too much current can be a problem if a fault occurs but don't worry too much sleepsleep, the difference in your case is not that great Smile
Post 09 Sep 2009, 15:44

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: