flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > How to mess up someone's file

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
If a mod doesn't like this post, feel free to remove it.

My sister-in-law is messing with people's lives. The fact that those people are all family tells you something about her. My wife wants to teach her a lesson and corrupt one of her directories (one in particular), or make it crash sometime after booting.

Now, I'm not talking about permanently screwing it up, and I'd like it to be something she can pay someone to recover for her (I won't). The other side of it is my wife would have to be the one to perform this operation but she'll have free and clear access to it tonight and for several days.

My wife thinks it's Vista but potentially it's XP. Any ideas?
Post 18 Aug 2009, 18:31
Borsuc

Borsuc
Depends on your sister-in-law's expertise. It can be as easy as a batch program that runs everytime she turns on the computer with the command "shutdown". That would annoy her a bit Razz

not sure what you mean by corrupting a file... you mean a virus?

Post 18 Aug 2009, 19:44
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
I thought about hunting for a virus but then it might not make it recoverable. The batch file idea sounds good. I don't use Windows anymore so can someone write one for me (and where to put it)? I know it's simple enough. It would have to shut down after a few minutes or so. Then I don't have to worry about actually corrupting anything and just removing the batch file would solve the problem.
Post 18 Aug 2009, 19:47
pal

pal
Well...

1. You don't want the effects to be permanent? You can rule out the more vicious viruses (such as hippi, psych).

2. You want her to have to pay for recovery? With something like a batch file you would have to add it to a startup (registry, ActiveX, auto run etc.). The problem with this is you can just boot into safe mode and remove it straight away.

You can install spyware on there if you want. That is damn annoying as it slows your computer right down, but again this doesn't effect safe mode. If you want it so that it wont work at all, find some of the essential boot files for the OS (they are common throughout Windows and a Google search should suffice) and corrupt one of these. You will probably have to use a live CD to do this as they are in use (obviously) when the system is running.

You could always install a RAT (Remote Administration Tool) on her computer so her computer connects back to yours and you can control her PC from yours. E.g. you can view her key strokes, kill processes/services/windows, browse/download/upload files etc. Some RATs have 'fun' plugins like crazy mouse, window flip etc.

You could alternatively just put some magnets onto her hard disk drive :p

Does she know about computers? If she does then she will know about safe mode. You can easily write an application that will terminate windows after 3 minutes say. You can do an set process critical (I have forgot the API) to yours so that if it is terminated there is a blue screen. Just make an application that terminates an essential Windows process and there you have a blue screen Wink
Post 18 Aug 2009, 21:21
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
That's another good thought. Change something in the registry, but what? It would have to be something I can get into it again later to change it back if I want, without using a live CD. No, she knows nothing about computers.

Like I said, I don't code for Windows anymore so I don't have much to go on there. I'm going to look into the remote desktop. The same as RAT? That might actually work.
Post 18 Aug 2009, 23:26
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
What type of messed up world do you live in where you think deliberately disabling someone's computer is a good idea? Sheesh, I hope the police read this thread and arrest you for it. You have no respect for others property and you certainly don't deserve any respect in return from others.
Post 18 Aug 2009, 23:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
windwakr

windwakr
Ya, it's weird someone like drhowarddrfine would come here asking for malware, or something that could be considered malware. Didn't think he was that type of person.

And it's amazing that people are actually helping him!

Post 18 Aug 2009, 23:55
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
yeah, weird. maybe his account got hacked.
Post 19 Aug 2009, 00:33
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Nope. It's me. And it's my wife's idea. Notice I said I wanted everything to be recoverable, not destroyed. And, as far as the world I live in, it has nothing to do with my wife's side of the family. If you met her, and then met anyone else over there, you would never know they were related.

As far as this little ploy goes, the sister-in-law tends to break into her mother's house where the computer is. If she can't get it to work, then she'll stay away and she'll never pay someone to fix it. But we can't make it look like we did anything to it or she might try and get back at us. And if you think the breaking in stuff is bad, I could spend a day recounting worse stories and still not be done.

Of course, now you know why I say I've not seen anyone from that side of the family in 20 years or so and refuse to deal with them.
Post 19 Aug 2009, 01:20
windwakr

windwakr
Couldn't you just warn her mother?
Post 19 Aug 2009, 01:22
revolution

revolution
drhowarddrfine wrote:
And if you think the breaking in stuff is bad, I could spend a day recounting worse stories and still not be done.
That is not justification for what you are doing.

Be a much better person and ignore it.
Post 19 Aug 2009, 01:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
windwakr wrote:
Couldn't you just warn her mother?
Her mother is well aware of it.

Anyone who thinks these are normal people in normal circumstances and I'm the bad guy for helping my wife in this situation is not being understanding that these are not normal circumstances with normal people. If I would take the time to tell you what was going on over there, just in the last two weeks, you would swear I was making it up.

And as far as ignoring it is concerned, I do. This is the first time my wife has asked me to do anything for her related to this but, you want to know how bad it is? She hasn't been home for more than a few minutes over the last two weeks. Does that sound like a f@@ked up thing?

But, no, I don't let it bother me. It's not my life and I've told my wife that. She knows never to talk to me about what goes on over there because I flat out don't care. The only reason I know what I do is cause she had to justify this to me so I didn't feel like I was just wasting my time.

So, blah blah blah, I really don't care and I think I'll just tell her no, I'm not messing with this.
Post 19 Aug 2009, 01:39
revolution

revolution
drhowarddrfine wrote:
If I would take the time to tell you what was going on over there, ...
Please don't bother to tell us.
Post 19 Aug 2009, 01:42
windwakr

windwakr
If she's really "breaking into her mothers house" and her mother knows about it, why doesn't anyone call the cops? Who cares if it's family, thats breaking the law.

Post 19 Aug 2009, 01:44
pete

pete
You could simply set a password for the user, so your sister-in-law cannot login. Or you hide the file so Windows Explorer doesn't show it…
Could get funny.
Post 19 Aug 2009, 06:19
MazeGen

MazeGen
Quote:
Now, I'm not talking about permanently screwing it up, and I'd like it to be something she can pay someone to recover for her (I won't).

Howard, set her house to fire and call firemen immediately. She can pay someone to recover the small damage. Repeat this until she's a better human being. This must work. Good luck.
Post 19 Aug 2009, 07:45
YONG

YONG
Quote:
My sister-in-law is messing with people's lives. The fact that those people are all family tells you something about her. My wife wants to teach her a lesson and ...
If you really love her, forgive her. Love is forgiving! Refer to this.

OK. I know. That's bullshit. So, here you have an alternative method to teach her a lesson: Lock her in a room with FASM source code printout and you know what's going to happen. Don't laugh. It works! Wink
Post 19 Aug 2009, 09:26
tom tobias

tom tobias
YONG: I found no mesmerizing @@ symbols in Tomasz' source code.

Did you mean to imply that she could become suicidal upon encountering so many pointless underscores before the definition of every variable in
section '.data'
within FASMW.asm?

clever...Only the most brilliant forensic investigative team would have been able to uncover such a fiendish plot.

Smile
Post 19 Aug 2009, 09:58
Borsuc

Borsuc
Or she might get addicted to FASM code. Razz

The registry entry is in:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]    
Then you put a string there (call it what you want) and put the value as the path to the stuff you want executed.

That's all I'm gonna tell you for now, and it's not even malware (but lack of expertise makes it seem so Wink).

Post 19 Aug 2009, 16:53

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: