flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > i wasted my today with killing ...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
yeah,those f. Viruses,i wasted my whole day killing them.
In the end,i was forced to reformat this client pc which run point of sales.
So f.
Now,question is,why da f. they rely their business on f. Windows...
I believe i need to ask my client to deploy dos or dexos.
Dex, if u hear me, plez give me solution plez..
I need mysql there, dex.

Holly cow.all time wasted.
Privalov,if u hear me also.
Plez,fasm x2 or os, bring it on. I trust u,even if it is alpha or near alpha.

Windows is for people who got extra time to re-format.hehehe.not suitable for business.
Post 26 Jul 2009, 11:25
asmcoder

asmcoder
[content deleted]

Last edited by asmcoder on 14 Aug 2009, 14:48; edited 1 time in total
Post 26 Jul 2009, 12:26
Coddy41

Coddy41
... Yeah, I don't use windows much anymore because of this reson...
Post 26 Jul 2009, 14:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
windwakr

windwakr
You guys are all just unlucky. In my 8 years now of owning computers and running windows on all of them, I've only had 1 virus, and that was like way back in 2002.

Lol, I bet some of you, *cough* Tom Tobias *cough* ,have like 5 times as many years experience with computers than me.

Post 26 Jul 2009, 14:48
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i would say u r pretty unlucky if u got only 1 virus.
It could be ur so lucky antivirus software only could detect 1 virus out of so much that hidden below ur keyboard. Hehehe.
Post 26 Jul 2009, 15:20
Coddy41

Coddy41
Yeah, that happen to my friend, he said he only had found 1 virus all his life, I popped AVG on there and found well over 100 >_< (not including tracking cookies)
Post 26 Jul 2009, 16:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Hmm I used Kaspersky online scan and never found a virus in my life.
What do you guys do, what kinda sites do you go to lol? Razz

Anyway important rules: disable javascript (use something like NoScript for Firefox), don't allow it if you're suspicious and if you are, use a Sandbox like Sandboxie and put your browser there for that site.

If you just downloaded an .exe and would like to know whether it's virus, use virustotal to scan it. Or simply execute it in a Sandbox and see if it's doing shit to your comp and/or registry.

And of course use a damn firewall. Firewal >>>>>>>> Antivirus

Post 26 Jul 2009, 16:30
windwakr

windwakr
Well, I have a very good AV and firewall. The only reason I had that virus back in 2002 is because I didn't know what an AV or firewall were back then >.> lol.
Post 26 Jul 2009, 16:38
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Back when I was in high school - long before real virus and being a hacker was a good thing(tm) - there was this concept of agent computing. Where other peoples programs were allowed to run on any computer. Not just stuff like BOINC, but as a central part of the OS and communication. Similar to biology - we have all kinds of stuff floating around in our bodies - mostly good and some bad.

Every body was/is scared though. "It's my computer and I don't want anything running on it unless I decide first." Software is becoming so complex that the agents (good or bad) can hide easily. When we accept an agent most don't know what it is really doing. To invest so much energy into building a barrier is the wrong approach - nature already solved the problem for us.
Post 26 Jul 2009, 17:06
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Coddy41 wrote:
he said he only had found 1 virus all his life, I popped AVG on there and found well over 100

How many false positives Laughing

Borsuc wrote:
use something like NoScript for Firefox

There's also the excellent QuickJava for Java and JS separately.
A similar extension, QuickImage, does the same thing for images.
Both add little icons, simply called I, J and JS, at the right of the status bar.
Post 26 Jul 2009, 21:23
tom tobias

tom tobias
windwakr wrote:
Lol, I bet some of you, *cough* Tom Tobias *cough* ,have like 5 times as many years experience with computers than me.

Various solutions to the central issue in this thread: i.e. virus spread, and destruction of an operating system, have been well documented by f0dder, and Madis, both of whom, though appreciably MUCH more youthful than I, nevertheless, have FAR more experience with all of computer science, than I have, and in particular, they are masterful operating system maintenance gurus, and, both, especially with Windows, are simply experts of the highest rank ---> their contributions on this forum would be a useful starting point, in seeking to solve the virus problem, in my opinion.

My own approach in responding to this pestilence is too terrible, too mundane, too profane. No, no, no!!!
I should resist, oh, I cannot.

I must confess.

It is difficult, but I just have to face the music, and it is also good for the soul, and those of us approaching death's door need to be cognizant of the value of redemption and confession.......

So, here is my low tech solution:
I simply reformat the "C" drive systematically, every couple of weeks. It takes an hour, while I am doodling on other things....
So much for my supposed decades of experience....
My conduct is exactly the same as any novice's....
"The king has no clothes", comes to mind....

I did commence a study of Linux or BSD as an alternative to the horrible viruses affecting windows.....

I was thinking: well, so many folks here on FASM forum use Linux/BSD, why shouldn't I give it another try (I have been trying since 1994--InfoMagic, three CDROMS, including version 2.1 of Slackware---quite good, umm, though it does require 4 whole megabytes of RAM....)

One argument that I used to persuade myself, to try again, for the umpteenth time, was the notion that I am using a 32 bit operating system (XP) on 64 bit architecture, so, why not give modern era Linux or BSD a shot? I downloaded by bit torrent, Mandriva and Suse, newest 64 bit versions, (Slackware, my favorite--does not yet have an official 64 bit version) and voila: no luck. FAILURE.

The problem with both of these versions, is the same one I had fifteen years ago: hardware incompatibility.

In particular, neither Linux nor BSD recognizes the ethernet controller on the Biostar motherboard with the aforementioned 64 bit cpu. This is a Realtek RTL 8111DL controller, probably about 15 months old, i.e. not something that came on the scene yesterday, and the Unix world has no idea that it exists....

So, for now, at least, I am continuing to reformat the hard drive, regularly....I think of it like doing the laundry...It isn't something that demands my absolute attention. I come and go, and get other chores accomplished in the meantime... Anyway, once we reach the drooling phase, how important is time, anyway?

Confused
Post 26 Jul 2009, 22:57
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
hi tom,i love the part, re-format as if doing laundry.hahaha.
I think i need a customized and homegrown OS if i wish to provide stable solutions to customers.
ubuntu mini.iso looks like good choice atm,but i am thinking something else also.
Realmode 64bit. But i need database and http browser support too.
Perhaps i demand too much,but.. maybe... Hmmm..
Maybe i need to devote more time on fasm os construction instead of heap.
Post 27 Jul 2009, 04:52
Picnic

Picnic
I'm running Windows XP for about 7 years at work and home.
For a long period i used no antivirus or firewall at all on my home PC, but i consider myself a very careful user (and a bit wierd i dare to say)
The fact is that i almost never infected by virus and i have the original Windows XP installation running.
I check my PC using various antivirus software from time to time, but haven't located something suspicious beside false alarms by some assembly projects of mine lately Smile
Post 27 Jul 2009, 11:21
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
tom tobias wrote:
This is a Realtek RTL 8111DL controller, probably about 15 months old, i.e. not something that came on the scene yesterday, and the Unix world has no idea that it exists....

What BSD did you try? If it was FreeBSD, what did it have to say about the NIC when booting up?
You can get your hardware startup messages using the dmesg utility.

I don't know if RealTek 811xS is compatible with or similar to your 8111DL, but this one seems to be supported by the re driver (at least in 7.2-RELEASE). Both 8111B and 8111C also seem to be working.
Post 27 Jul 2009, 15:17
Enko

Enko
I have a winxp installed about 4 years now, and it working quit good.
Some times, when in get really slow, i do:
Hijackthis to find stuf loaded on startup that I don't need and some malware.
RegClean: automatic registry clean, to eleminate registry trash
and some Defrag tool.

Antivirus? the best one is the user, don't browse xxx sites, and don't open VeryFun.exe.jpg.

Olmoste forgot, if you don't need to install anything in the Pc after all stuff is installed, you can use some FREEZE DRIVE/OS tool.
The same that is used in Cyber Caffees.

In the worst case, cut off the hands off your lame client Razz or better remove the administrator privileges if posible, this will help a lot againts root malware and other viruses that need administrator privileges.
Post 27 Jul 2009, 15:46
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Quote:

In the worst case, cut off the hands off your lame client

lol..
one idea sparks ... what if the OS architecture were designed to be used by disabled people..
i mean, no tricks / hacks or etc,
plain clear input ---- process ---- and output.

u know, the "general" users (those whom you can found in major offices and use microsoft office) hehehe... they are easily conned by malware / virus which shows a display setting (the window that let you change your wallpaper / screensave) Razz Razz
most of them have no idea why the best screensaver is blank color either.
and they type by putting their left thumb on the letter "A" and let the right hand catter the rest B to Z letters.

to be frank, they really don't know how to use their computer, (so, where the idea computer could increase productivity... hehehe). idk.
Post 27 Jul 2009, 17:12
Azu

Azu
Borsuc wrote:
Hmm I used Kaspersky online scan and never found a virus in my life.
What do you guys do, what kinda sites do you go to lol? Razz

Anyway important rules: disable javascript (use something like NoScript for Firefox), don't allow it if you're suspicious and if you are, use a Sandbox like Sandboxie and put your browser there for that site.

If you just downloaded an .exe and would like to know whether it's virus, use virustotal to scan it. Or simply execute it in a Sandbox and see if it's doing shit to your comp and/or registry.

And of course use a damn firewall. Firewal >>>>>>>> Antivirus
Laughing

Rootkit level code>browser level code.

It's obviously too late for a little browser scan to save your computer.
Post 27 Jul 2009, 22:29
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Azu wrote:
Laughing

Yeah but it can still detect it.

Azu wrote:
Yeah considering I have this new comp for less than a month Wink

Post 27 Jul 2009, 23:54
Azu

Azu
Borsuc wrote:
Azu wrote:
Laughing

Yeah but it can still detect it.
Not when whatever APIs it uses for detection are controlled by the malware itself..

Borsuc wrote:

Azu wrote:
Yeah considering I have this new comp for less than a month Wink
Rootkits activate on next reboot or even immediately.
Post 27 Jul 2009, 23:57
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Can rootkits get installed with a Sandbox, this seems kinda stupid. If they can bypass the APIs to install themselves then so can the anti-virus bypass their modified APIs.
Post 28 Jul 2009, 00:01

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: