flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Microsoft to offer browser choice in Win7

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Link
Quote:
Microsoft has decided that the last thing it needs in this economy is some combination of the following: fines, legal bills, and a delay of Windows 7. It has offered to adopt the European Union's preferred solution for bowser competition: a browser selector screen at startup.

Post 24 Jul 2009, 19:25
Coddy41

Coddy41
Nice Very Happy I never use IE, its a pain to uninstall, and install firefox Smile
Post 24 Jul 2009, 23:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Lame, lame, lame.

I'm not too fond of the way MS operates, but there's much better things the EU could be doing than telling MS to do this. It seems pretty pointless considering the success FireFox is having, and hypocritical considering they're not telling Apple to do the same.
Post 25 Jul 2009, 08:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
f0dder wrote:
...hypocritical considering they're not telling Apple to do the same.
Here's the link

I guess I would have to disagree. I support the European Community's condemnation of the monopolistic practices of M$. But, then, I am still using cp/m, too....
Smile
Post 25 Jul 2009, 12:58
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Yes. It's not hypocritical at all. Apple is not required to do the same because it's not the same issue or problem at all. Remember that the US Justice Department has Microsoft under federal oversight still today for this exact same issue. IE is a non-standards compliant browser which forces software developers to write code that only works with IE and preventing competition in the market place and allowing Microsoft to control the market.
Post 25 Jul 2009, 13:37
Azu

Azu
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Link
Quote:
Microsoft has decided that the last thing it needs in this economy is some combination of the following: fines, legal bills, and a delay of Windows 7. It has offered to adopt the European Union's preferred solution for bowser competition: a browser selector screen at startup.

It's a trap. They are still installing IE by default even if you don't choose it. And all the applications that access the Web still do it through IE, not your browser of choice.

f0dder wrote:
Lame, lame, lame.

I'm not too fond of the way MS operates, but there's much better things the EU could be doing than telling MS to do this. It seems pretty pointless considering the success FireFox is having, and hypocritical considering they're not telling Apple to do the same.
Apple doesn't have monopoly power. And even if they did, they wouldn't abuse it in a way that hindered the Web as a whole, like Microsoft is doing.
Not because their motives are any better, but because their browser actually follows the standards and keeps up with modern advancements, rather then holding back the entire Web due to people having to make hacky workarounds and use decade old technology for fear of their website not working on the most popular browser (which would kill the popularity of their website).
Post 27 Jul 2009, 23:10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: