flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > ram drive or encrypted drive?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi there, lately i face some problem with one of my customer,
they need to secure their data in a higher level.

i was thinking about either using ram drive or encrypted drive, any idea?
does ram drive uses never writes anything to hard disk (even in the paging file??)
Post 22 Jul 2009, 00:27
f0dder

f0dder
Depends on how the driver is written - personally I'd definitely allocate a ram disk from nonpageable memory, you don't want the speed hit of paging when you're expecting RAM speeds. Haven't looked at how the various products work, though, since I run with pagefile disabled.

If your customer needs the data to be persistent, a ramdisk is somewhat dangerous - www.truecrypt.org ftw Smile
Post 22 Jul 2009, 08:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
I've got a 1GB ramdrive on B:
It's awesome, I redirected my TEMP environment variable (and TMP) to B:\TEMP, now my HDD won't even be used while I surf the net or do most temporary stuff that don't require storage. (even big downloads which are moved later, to reduce activity on HDD and increase its lifespan and be quieter Razz)

I disabled paging as I have 2GB free once my system loads up after the ramdrive (actually it's more like 2.25GB with ramdisk, 3.25GB in total, but ramdrive+system cache take the rest).

TrueCrypt is cool because it can run in Portable mode. I love portable apps (not junk that mess up with your system & registry).

So anyway you can do well with both. If you have enough RAM I really recommend a ramdisk Wink

Post 22 Jul 2009, 14:54
f0dder

f0dder
I have a 512meg ramdisk for %temp% and my firefox profile + internet cache, sunbird calendar, and website watcher data files. It's pretty nice not having to hit my harddrive for those, and it's noticably faster loading pages in firefox and checking for site updates with WSW.

Every once in a while I need to temporarily set %temp% to a location with more space, some installers are damn retarded... but otherwise it works very smoothly Smile

Hm, TrueCrypt in portable mode? It still needs to install drivers, so it isn't going to be über-portable and run without admin privileges.
Post 22 Jul 2009, 15:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Well I forgot to say I run as admin all the time Razz
On the site it says that there are security issues if you are not an admin, though I suppose that doesn't apply if it's your computer.

Post 22 Jul 2009, 15:09
Azu

Azu
sleepsleep wrote:
hi there, lately i face some problem with one of my customer,
they need to secure their data in a higher level.

i was thinking about either using ram drive or encrypted drive, any idea?
does ram drive uses never writes anything to hard disk (even in the paging file??)
If you're worried about security you should take a loot at this before deciding what kind of implementation to use.
Post 22 Jul 2009, 19:40
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
What about erasing the RAM and writing something else on it when shutting down? Razz

Post 22 Jul 2009, 20:13
Azu

Azu
Borsuc wrote:
What about erasing the RAM and writing something else on it when shutting down? Razz
Why would the thief let it shut down gracefully? Think more along the lines of hitting the reset button and unplugging or the computer, or even removing the RAM while it is running.
Post 22 Jul 2009, 20:34
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
How the hell can he access your machine while it is on? Does he kick your ass or something? I thought it was more along the lines of breaking into your house once it's off and you're out or something Confused

Post 22 Jul 2009, 21:57
Azu

Azu
Borsuc wrote:
How the hell can he access your machine while it is on? Does he kick your ass or something? I thought it was more along the lines of breaking into your house once it's off and you're out or something Confused
If you turn it off every time you leave the room, there shouldn't be a problem.
Post 22 Jul 2009, 22:00
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
thanks for the replies, i actually thought of truecrypt too..
coz if the data is so sensitive, it is just better to leave it on ramdisk and never touch hard disk.

thanks azu for the cold boot attack..

maybe i will just ask them to utilize truecrypt
Post 22 Jul 2009, 22:41
f0dder

f0dder
sleepsleep wrote:
thanks for the replies, i actually thought of truecrypt too..
coz if the data is so sensitive, it is just better to leave it on ramdisk and never touch hard disk.
Unless it's something they can't afford to lose, in which case you'll have to do regular backups (or something filter-driver based instantaneous like Mirror Folder) - in which case you might as well just put it on a truecrypt partition in the first place Smile

Post 22 Jul 2009, 22:47

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: