flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Fan control?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Borsuc

Borsuc
Hey guys, I finally got that new computer up and running with all my data scattered across my laptop and my older computer (around 200 gigabytes)... anyway I got some 5 good 120mm fans with it, but I can't seem to control their RPM based on heating, they always run at maximum RPM! Even with Asus Q-FAN enabled.

I've read on the net that it's because they have 3 pins (mostly Noctua fans, but also one Nexus RealSilent fan), but the speed regulation is done via PWM whatever that is, and needs a fourth pin.

My mobo is Asus P5E WS Pro. It doesn't seem to have any "Fan Control Mode" for me to set it to "Voltage" instead of "PWM" Sad (yes I updated the BIOS)

I'm asking this here because you guys might have encountered this before and what did you do to overcome it (even some tricks are acceptable) -- asking Asus takes forever to get a reply.

Problem also is that I have all fan connectors full on the mobo so I can't put the CPU fan on another connector (like a CHA-FAN).

The computer is quieter than my previous one even though it has 2 times the number of fans (they are high quality fans), but heck, it could get much quieter if I can control the voltage.

Post 21 Jul 2009, 19:12
Azu

Azu
Borsuc wrote:
Hey guys, I finally got that new computer up and running with all my data scattered across my laptop and my older computer (around 200 gigabytes)... anyway I got some 5 good 120mm fans with it, but I can't seem to control their RPM based on heating, they always run at maximum RPM! Even with Asus Q-FAN enabled.

I've read on the net that it's because they have 3 pins (mostly Noctua fans, but also one Nexus RealSilent fan), but the speed regulation is done via PWM whatever that is, and needs a fourth pin.

My mobo is Asus P5E WS Pro. It doesn't seem to have any "Fan Control Mode" for me to set it to "Voltage" instead of "PWM" Sad (yes I updated the BIOS)

I'm asking this here because you guys might have encountered this before and what did you do to overcome it (even some tricks are acceptable) -- asking Asus takes forever to get a reply.

Problem also is that I have all fan connectors full on the mobo so I can't put the CPU fan on another connector (like a CHA-FAN).

The computer is quieter than my previous one even though it has 2 times the number of fans (they are high quality fans), but heck, it could get much quieter if I can control the voltage.
The first pin is ground, second is power, third tells the computer what RPM it is running at, fourth let's the computer tell it how fast to run. If there isn't a forth pin then you'll need to find a way to make the motherboard send a different voltage to the fan, and I don't know of any that do that, sorry.
Post 21 Jul 2009, 19:19
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Yes exactly I read some AMI BIOSes (Asus use them) from other mobos have a setting "Fan Control Mode" where you can set Voltage/DC instead of PWM... I can't find that on mine Sad
Post 21 Jul 2009, 19:20
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Borsuc, odd, if you look at your processor's fan it will probably have three wires like mine but it still runs at ~1000 RPM in winter and ~3400 RPM in summer.

The PWM thing, if I remember right is the middle wire and it is used to sense the RPM and then low the voltage till the measured speed is the one desired.
Post 21 Jul 2009, 19:21

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: