flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Google Chrome OS officially announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kalambong

kalambong
Introducing the Google Chrome OS

It's been an exciting nine months since we launched the Google Chrome browser. Already, over 30 million people use it regularly. We designed Google Chrome for people who live on the web — searching for information, checking email, catching up on the news, shopping or just staying in touch with friends. However, the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web. So today, we're announcing a new project that's a natural extension of Google Chrome — the Google Chrome Operating System. It's our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be.

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010. Because we're already talking to partners about the project, and we'll soon be working with the open source community, we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.

Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work.

Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips and we are working with multiple OEMs to bring a number of netbooks to market next year. The software architecture is simple — Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel. For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies. And of course, these apps will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform.

Google Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android. Android was designed from the beginning to work across a variety of devices from phones to set-top boxes to netbooks. Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web, and is being designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems. While there are areas where Google Chrome OS and Android overlap, we believe choice will drive innovation for the benefit of everyone, including Google.

We hear a lot from our users and their message is clear — computers need to get better. People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates. And any time our users have a better computing experience, Google benefits as well by having happier users who are more likely to spend time on the Internet.

We have a lot of work to do, and we're definitely going to need a lot of help from the open source community to accomplish this vision. We're excited for what's to come and we hope you are too. Stay tuned for more updates in the fall and have a great summer.
Post 08 Jul 2009, 09:03
kalambong

kalambong
It sits on top of the Linux Kernel, which means FASM can be used on Chrome OS?
Post 08 Jul 2009, 09:04
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Post 08 Jul 2009, 13:24
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
this thread should be merged Smile hehe

cool, chrome OS!! Smile i haven't test drive it yet. but. it sounds more cool than "BINg"

hopefully one day we all replace windows with chrome OS!! Smile

but, i expect web application will fall... sooner or later.
i look forward pen drive portable app.. try google it. i think, they have really big chance to win the future application architecture and how app distribute.
Post 08 Jul 2009, 14:01
farrier

farrier
I also noticed that on my gmail home page that we are no longer in Beta. I did not notice the difference!

farrier

... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, ...
The code is dark, and full of errors!
Post 08 Jul 2009, 18:00
Dex4u

Dex4u
This is simular to our project http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=8281

Screen shot
Post 09 Jul 2009, 19:32
rCX

rCX
Not gonna be called Goobuntu?
Post 10 Jul 2009, 01:08
Madis731

Madis731
Will it be SSE4.2-only browser? That would be so cewl Very Happy and fast.
Post 10 Jul 2009, 07:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
anyone got screen shots??
since it been released already, but i couldn't find link for downloading and testing.
Post 10 Jul 2009, 11:22
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
It's not been released. It's an announcement only but I think there is a dev version available somewhere. Haven't looked for it yet.

I know this uses NeatX, a X-Windows replacement of sorts, which makes me wonder if it will use Google's "Native Code". If so, Microsoft and Windows is doomed.
Post 10 Jul 2009, 11:40
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i personally felt, dexos got bright future, it just needs more $$ and marketing i guess. and more coder hours to make it near perfect.

but, the idea is there,

serious, web OS, i frankly think all the OS builder gone wrong. for myself, i preffer minimalist stuffs and add wanted features one by one or through some sort of script. but the basic stuff should be there and it needs common sense to determine what are those basic stuffs/features.

and using bsd / linux kernel as a jump start would provide far more greater future, imho. but of course, ms will released windows as open source sooner or later, whether it wants or not. that is just crucial step ms needs to do soon.

and i haven't yet found a distro that imho, got future, almost all those i have seen, nearly the same, different in some kinda technology to fetch stuffs, but the common sense is not there.

yeah, if there are nerds who willingly wanna make me their leader, i will push out something that i dare to claim, far more better and suite human common sense.
Post 11 Jul 2009, 16:34
TmX

TmX
sleepsleep wrote:
but of course, ms will released windows as open source sooner or later, whether it wants or not. that is just crucial step ms needs to do soon.

windows being an open source OS?
i highly doubt that

but i think it would be very cool, at least i don't need to use ReactOS

Laughing
Post 12 Jul 2009, 04:15
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
well, i believe ms will do something sooner or later. to open source it, is to make it live a little more longer time. otherwise, when equal value alternative found and ready for the mass, that would be the end of day for windows os system.
Post 12 Jul 2009, 07:41
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
sleepsleep wrote:
when equal value alternative found and ready for the mass, that would be the end of day for windows os system.

ChromeOS could be that.
Post 12 Jul 2009, 12:41
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
ChromeOS (and any other OS) won't topple Windows unless, and until, it can run all the existing software that people currently use on Windows. So, everybody, please help to get WINE (or whatever equivalent) running perfectly, then we can start to see the demise of the worlds (current) favourite OS.
Post 12 Jul 2009, 12:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
ChromeOS (and any other OS) won't topple Windows unless, and until, it can run all the existing software that people currently use on Windows.
Not necessary at all. There just needs to be a compelling reason to use a different version of Windows software to swtich. For example, OpenOffice, The Gimp, Firefox, Inkscape and Evolution, along with other *nix tools, are everything I need and I have no need for Windows at all, and haven't used it in 3 years. Some may laud over the features of Word over OO and Photoshop over Gimp but, in almost all cases, OO and Gimp do everything anyone needs and most people's only real complaint is they don't look the same or they don't have some feature they read about but will never use. The same thing could be said the other way. Word and Photoshop don't act like the others and have a lot of crap I'll never use so I don't like them.

In any case, familiarity is more the stumbling block than reason, as well as unwarranted peer pressure. Without knowing at all what ChromeOS will work like, if it's decent at all, I would say that 5 years from now a significant percentage of people will be using it including many on this board.
Post 12 Jul 2009, 16:08
windwakr

windwakr
Seriously, I don't think ChromeOS will ever come close to toppling Windows. The only people who will use it are people who already either use a non-MS OS or are thinking about switching already from Windows. The general population out there are dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff, they only know Windows. If they were at a computer store and someone there offered them a Mac or a Linux OS they'd go "This doesn't look like Windows, I want Windows.". People were brought up with only knowing Windows, and alot of people just don't like or can't handle change.
I myself don't like change in any part of my life. I'm suprised I was able to change even my browser from IE to Firefox. Like drhowarddrfine said, its about familiarity.
Post 12 Jul 2009, 16:33
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Quote:

Like drhowarddrfine said, its about familiarity.

back to the root of this war. familiarity.

we still need a few more year to achieve when a user using web-based application and couldn't detects its difference compare to win app.
Post 12 Jul 2009, 17:47
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
windwakr wrote:
If they were at a computer store and someone there offered them a Mac or a Linux OS they'd go "This doesn't look like Windows, I want Windows.".
But a Mac is Unix and people don't turn their noses up at it for that. I'd bet ChromeOS will not be presented as Linux, and Google ChromeOS at that. Everyone knows Google.
Quote:
I'm suprised I was able to change even my browser from IE to Firefox.
And that's where they might snag a healthy share of the market. To an extent, a browser is a browser and they all work the same. Word processors do, too, as does email. That's 90% of what most people use. So what diff does the OS make? If you use Firefox and GMail, it all looks the same no matter you are on Windows, Mac or *nix.
Post 12 Jul 2009, 20:33
Borsuc

Borsuc
Some people have too many apps and redownloading them or finding alternatives will be a major pain.
Post 12 Jul 2009, 22:13

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: