flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Firefox 3.5 should be out today

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Well, there are a lot of ways to recover bookmarks if an upgrade makes them disappear but bookmarks never go away.
Post 17 Aug 2009, 01:33
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Since ff 3.0 I never use a bookmark. The "awesome bar" never forgets and it "read" my mind quite often.
When I installed 3.5, it imported the navigation history of 3.0 so the "awesome bar" was already trained.

The memory usage of ff 3.5.x is around the same of 3.0.x in my experience.
Post 18 Aug 2009, 14:51
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
You're right about the awesome bar. (I hate the nickname though.) The "every day sites" I visit are always there and I only bookmark the things I want to keep up front but rarely visit.
Post 18 Aug 2009, 15:48
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Awesome bar? I never knew it existed. Is that the address bar at the top? All I get is a space to type URL's. You mean it can do other things also? In that case it has never worked for me in any FF version I have run. No history, no suggestions, no previous sites, nothing but white space to type. Is that one of the things I lost when I killed JS? Why would they use JS "up there"?
Post 18 Aug 2009, 16:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
windwakr

windwakr
Hey drhowarddrfine, Mr. FireFox expert, I have a question for you. How do I make FireFox automatically open certain file extensions in the browser for viewing? Like, I want to view ".asm" files before downloading them, but FireFox just pops up with the download box when I click on one, how can I changed this behavior?

Post 02 Sep 2009, 02:23
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Quote:

revolution
Awesome bar? I never knew it existed. Is that the address bar at the top? All I get is a space to type URL's.

The whole of Firefox's user interface runs on XML and javascript (XUL). If you turn off js then...
Quote:

How do I make FireFox automatically open certain file extensions in the browser for viewing?
This is the web hosts problem. They aren't serving it as text/plain so a browser doesn't know what to do with .asm.
Post 02 Sep 2009, 14:13
f0dder

f0dder
Perhaps you want to check your facts, howard. Turning off JavaScript doesn't turn it off for the browser (it probably wouldn't work at all then, due to it's XUL nature) - only for the websites you're browsing. AwesomeBar works fine with JS turned off.

Also, you migth want to check this - it hints that there's multiple ways to handle when a server doesn't send a mime type for a file.
Post 02 Sep 2009, 15:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
windwakr

windwakr
Also, why does FireFox just lose google searched sometimes? I'll be searching on google, click on a link then decide it's not what I wanted, and then click back to google. The page then quickly goes forward to what I didn't want and my google search is no longer in the history. I'll click the drop down arrow by the back button and only see:
"Page I didn't want"
"google"

The google search just vanishes.

Last edited by windwakr on 02 Sep 2009, 20:27; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Sep 2009, 17:04
Borsuc

Borsuc
you might have some malware.
Post 02 Sep 2009, 19:08
windwakr

windwakr
No, I do not. It only happens sometimes when moving back to a google search page from a page I searched for. It probably has to do with googles crazy links on their results page(EG. the link for "google.com" in a search for google "http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&ei=DdOeSrPIFoX-Mf2WhZQC&rct=j&q=google&usg=AFQjCNG5-9Jej-ukVeakTgwonqt2narbYg") and FireFox messing up the history on them. It never happens when I copy and paste the link directly to the top and go back.

I'll clarify what's happening. Lets say I search for fasm, and click the third result for it. Oh wait, this isn't what I wanted, lets press back. Right after I press back the google search results page flashes and then goes back into the page I justed wanted to go back from. When I click the drop-down arrow by the back buton, the google search isn't there anymore. THIS ONLY HAPPENS SOMETIMES, NOT ALWAYS. Like I said, it NEVER happens when I copy and paste the actual url(not the one that google uses) in the top and then press back.

Post 02 Sep 2009, 20:23
Azu

Azu
Get an addon that disables redirects. You went to a landing page that immediately redirected to another page, so when you try to click back to get to the search results, you're just going back to the landing page.
Post 02 Sep 2009, 20:34
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
f0dder wrote:
Perhaps you want to check your facts, howard.
My name's not Howard. Everyone calls me, Doc. Of course, that has nothing to do with me either.
Quote:
Turning off JavaScript doesn't turn it off for the browser (it probably wouldn't work at all then, due to it's XUL nature) - only for the websites you're browsing. AwesomeBar works fine with JS turned off.
Yep. Sometimes I disconnect between developing and the browser itself since I do write XUL web apps.

I know the facts so you don't have to act like that, fodder. Act like a gentleman occasionally.
Quote:

Also, you migth want to check this - it hints that there's multiple ways to handle when a server doesn't send a mime type for a file.
I don't think that will help.
Post 02 Sep 2009, 23:22
windwakr

windwakr
I'm gonna be using this as my Firefox support thread. Smile

Is it possible to have the search function(ctrl+f) to continue searching down from my selection, like in IE? It's so annoying stopping it somewhere and finding out it's not what I needed, then having the damn search function start all the way from the top.

HAVEN'T USED IE SINCE JUNE 30! Wooooo Today marks 3 months of no IE.

Post 01 Oct 2009, 01:27
revolution

revolution
windwakr: If I want to start searching from a particular place I just select a small portion of text before I search. I found that FF will begin its search from the selection point downwards.
Post 01 Oct 2009, 01:41
windwakr

windwakr
Doesn't work for me.
Post 01 Oct 2009, 01:43
revolution

revolution
Perhaps just like the awesome bar thing that has never worked for me. FF seems to be picky about what it likes to do.
Post 01 Oct 2009, 01:56
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
It works for me and I don't have the awesome bar installed. I tested in this very page by searching "my" from the beginning, then selected some text from one of the latest posts and then clicked Next. The result: lots of "my" were skipped because the search continued from the selected text downwards.

This is my browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Post 01 Oct 2009, 03:03
revolution

revolution
So maybe the awesome bar thing affects the search. Without AB working search works good. With AB working search is broken.

LocoDelAssembly: You say not installed, but I thought from what was written above that it is there by default Question
Post 01 Oct 2009, 03:36
windwakr

windwakr
Hmmm, it's working on this page, but doesn't work on a lot of the others I've tried it on.

EDIT: WTF?? It's working 100% perfectly now. I haven't changed any settings since last time I tried it.

Post 01 Oct 2009, 03:45
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Ups, I thought the awesome bar was an add-on. Seems I have it enabled then.
Post 01 Oct 2009, 04:09

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: