flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > [content deleted]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
asmcoder

asmcoder
[content deleted]

Last edited by asmcoder on 14 Aug 2009, 14:49; edited 1 time in total
Post 30 Jun 2009, 06:35
pete

pete
Just vim it!
About vim:
Quote:

Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient text editing. It is an improved version of the vi editor distributed with most UNIX systems.

Vim is often called a "programmer's editor," and so useful for programming that many consider it an entire IDE. It's not just for programmers, though. Vim is perfect for all kinds of text editing, from composing email to editing configuration files.
Post 30 Jun 2009, 08:18
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
vi/vim or emacs.

Notepad++ is a text editor and not an IDE from what I recall.
Post 30 Jun 2009, 12:43
shoorick

shoorick
you men remind me time when i've been using editor "Mikron" - not bloated (2kb), no text colouring (as target computers - i8080 based "Radio-86RK" and similar were originally b/w), up to 64 symbols per line, up to 20kb buffer for text... very minimalistic Wink i've been using it about 8 years, and very glad to have now something more comfortable Razz
Post 30 Jun 2009, 14:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pete

pete
So, what do you have now, shoorick?
Post 30 Jun 2009, 14:47
f0dder

f0dder
Visual Studio for C++, Eclipse for Java, Notepad++ for tiny projects/scripts/whatever, and vim on *u*x (the last two don't qualify as IDEs, but are nice text editors).
Post 30 Jun 2009, 16:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
Visual C++ for C++/C#, Eclipse for anything else, and Code::Blocks (sometimes).

When I don't need full-fledged IDE, I prefer some nice editors like Notepad++ or vim/gvim.
Post 30 Jun 2009, 17:30
manfred

manfred
Windows: Visual Studio for C++/C#, Eclipse for D, Notepad++* for assembly
L...x: Eclipse for bigger projects in C++/D, Geany* for smaller projects and assembly.
* not an IDE

Post 30 Jun 2009, 20:43
wisepenguin

wisepenguin
vc6, in a word. its a classic. i love it, even as a text editor.
Post 30 Jun 2009, 20:44
pal

pal
SciTE - assembly, php, scripting, etc.
MSVC/Code::Blocks - C, C++
MSVB - VB.
Post 30 Jun 2009, 21:29
ufo

ufo
wisepenguin wrote:
vc6, in a word.
hell, you got balls Shocked Very Happy
slowly trying to turn np++ into my 24/7 baby.
Post 30 Jun 2009, 21:30
shoorick

shoorick
pete wrote:
So, what do you have now, shoorick?

i have WinAsm Studio + FASM Add-In + Vortex's API scanner + my dialogs rc->fasm converter+some other mine addins.

bloated: my winasm folder is 9Mb!!! while minimal files to work are about 500kb + fasm add-in ~100kb. all other: api/constant lists for colouring, examples, templates (my templates are >4Mb because I have some templates for floppy bootable images, maybe there are 1.44 images - nice to compress as they mostly are full of zeros)

why do i use WinAsm Studio?

* how do i create a new project of usual type: "ctrl+n" then "enter" - now i have a new project in separate folder, all names of folder, project and exe already set to new. if i wish - i can set more details, choose another project from templates or make it manually etc. (between "ctrl+n" and "enter")

* intellysense after typing invoke or stdcall: suggests api functions and procedures, found in the project with parameters hint

* intellysense inside procedure: suggests local variables and parameters for most common cases

* blocks navigation: project explorer has "Blocks" tab, where you can see all macro, procedures and structures, found in project, in alphabetical order.

> fasm specific: winasm has mine code which parses standart fasm procedures to recognize them correctly (originally studio has been supporting only masm format)

* api scanner: i already forgot how does import section look... there are a lot of other things more interesting for me Wink

* dialog converter: i do write resources manually, as i do not see any preferences to build manu or accelerator table in visual mode, but i have no any wish to calculate coordinates for dialog elements: i draw them in usual way with embedded resource editor, and then converter produce to me two files for dialogs in fasm format for easy include them into sources - i do not remeber how does dialogs description look

* i have an error while compile: i see it in Out window, double click - and i can edit line with error

* i have ok compilation: i can choose with button what to do next: run or debug, also version of file is autoincreased

* i wish to store my current work: "ctrl+z" then "enter" - without look to the screen i do know i have new zip in folder for zips with unic name to not overwrite previous (thanks to gods, asm projects are small and i just keep them ALL so easy can return to any stage)

* etc... etc... etc... - ctrl+f1 - i see current word in msdn index, f4 - i see suggestion of help files of any format (even exe) from 2 to 35, ctrl+shift+q - current word/selection quoted, ctrl+shift+p - embraced with "[]" (remeber porting from tasm/masm) -- these and other functions are supported by different add-ins

* etc... - my fingers are tired of typing Very Happy

yes, it is not ideal, has iisues and non-fatal bugs, but this all SAVES to me TIME and BRAIN RESOURCES from wasting

see some more there or there

regards!

Post 01 Jul 2009, 04:49
pete

pete
Oh well, you mentioned many reasons, shoorick! You prefer the comfortable ide because you know the displeasing or painful usage of an simple texteditor. For myself, i do not know yet; i'm working with vim for about 3 years now, and i'm still pretty satisfied.
It has auto-completion and many other comforting functions, but i do not use them: i want to remember myself the function names and it's parameters. This is a good training for the brain, i believe.
By writing all import-code and other repeating things myself, i can learn many things about my texteditor to speed up those repeating tasks. Which helps me in other things.
But when it comes to GUI design, i already learnt how painful hand-written resources are to handle: i make use of ResEdit.
Post 01 Jul 2009, 06:26
shoorick

shoorick
you have right points, but when you are working and your head is overloaded with a lot of things not related to coding in any way, it's not easy to use simple editor for projects of 100-300 kb of source code written during some years in spots between main work Wink just experience Wink

regards!
Post 01 Jul 2009, 06:35
shoorick

shoorick
Quote:

i make use of ResEdit.

yes, i know about this editor, but: winasm studio resource editor has autonumeration for controls, fasm add-in can automatically export definitions into assembly accepted include, while resedit has no corresponding autonumeration for symbolic constants. FASM add-in resources have 286 of such constants, i do not see any fun to remember all these definitions or keep them manually Wink
---------------------
btw: you make ask author about autonumeration Wink i already gave him suggestion, but had no response about it Wink
---------------------
oh! just made a look into ResEdit changelog: he did autonumeration! then it is another thing now!

regards!
Post 01 Jul 2009, 07:07
pete

pete
With ResEdit you can choose how it handles your resource.h file (the file where all control-names and their corresponding numbers are saved): either in C or in ASM style. This allows you to import resource.h directly into your asm-program.
Yes, the author doesn't respond to any mail; i made some suggestions already, too.
Post 01 Jul 2009, 07:22
shoorick

shoorick
yes, now i know Smile i have annoying Julien at the start of june, he answered first time only, and i have not knew that he already did it Wink
--------------------
the main reason i wish to have alternate rc editor: winasm studio can not produce resources in utf-8 encoding (as well as text)
--------------------
now i will think how to automize winasm studio relation with resedit. it allows usage of external rc editor, but when rc is present in project, but if will include utf-8 rc into project - it will cause strange behavior with possible rc corruption... now have food to think Smile do not think it will be hard, just will require some effort from me Rolling Eyes

regards!
Post 01 Jul 2009, 07:31
pete

pete
I don't have to struggle with chinese characters yet ;)
Post 01 Jul 2009, 08:34
shoorick

shoorick
Smile utf-8 is handy not for chinese only, but with any language different from your system codepage. for example, my system has 1251 codepage. this means with ANSI application i can not edit properly text written in 1252 codepage, say, with german specific characters or french or spanish accented characters, while it can be possible with UNICODE application.

from other side, ANSI applications, which have such west europian characters in labels look incorrectly on my system, as such characters are replaced with corresponded cyrillic letters etc.

UNICODE has future, as computers must depend on human, not human on computers Wink
Post 01 Jul 2009, 09:15
pete

pete
Good point, shoorick. I'll keep that in mind!
Post 01 Jul 2009, 09:46

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: