flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > What do you think about MS .NET?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Do you use/like it?
Post 02 Jun 2009, 04:00
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i like the form designer Smile thumbs up.
Post 02 Jun 2009, 04:35
pal

pal
.NET sucks. The form designer may be good but as a whole the framework is shit. Using C with standard Win32 is much better.

Code:
http://blog.decarufel.net/2009/02/10-reasons-why-net-sucks.html
http://blog.decarufel.net/2009/02/10-more-reasons-why-net-sucks.html

Post 02 Jun 2009, 09:19
SFeLi

SFeLi
.NET is okay to build apps fast, and C/Win32 is okay to build fast apps.
Post 02 Jun 2009, 09:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
pal wrote:
.NET sucks. The form designer may be good but as a whole the framework is shit. Using C with standard Win32 is much better.

Code:
http://blog.decarufel.net/2009/02/10-reasons-why-net-sucks.html
http://blog.decarufel.net/2009/02/10-more-reasons-why-net-sucks.html

AFAIK, .NET is popular on big projects these days.
Post 02 Jun 2009, 11:18
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Actually, compared to other frameworks, .NET is a minor player. Far more people use Java and C than any of the .NET languages.
Post 02 Jun 2009, 14:03
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Pretty good for big "enterprise solutions", but I don't see any major advantage over Java. But I never looked any deeper into this, anyway, so don't take my opinion Smile
Post 02 Jun 2009, 15:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
vid wrote:
anyway, so don't take my opinion
Never have. Never will. Laughing
Post 02 Jun 2009, 16:32
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
In my short experience with both I prefer .Net (C# to be exact), I just feel more comfortable with it (and I can have parameters by reference which simplify my life at times).

However, if the promised portability is what you are pursuing then I would go for Java, it is much more widely available across architectures and devices (i.e., it is available on more things than just computers). Also, there exist hardware capable of running Java bytecode, I haven't heard the same about .Net (there is one?), you can even download the Verilog HDL sources of a processor capable of running Java (it is called picoJava). If I remember right it was never fabricated but yet there are some processors (like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazelle ) that are being manufactured.

Note that my real preference is neither of both actually, but if I have to choose between the two I would go for C# .Net if I'm targeting Windows exclusively and Java otherwise (I know that on Linux I have Mono but the implementation is not 100% accurate*)

*I have been said it is because Microsoft haven't released a complete specification.

PS: Happy 3000th birthday to me.
Post 02 Jun 2009, 17:50
r22

r22
Why .NET is better than Java on Win platform:

1- Integration with other Win technologies like Active Directory and Exchange.
2- Ability to use native api (c# dllimport) without an annoying wrapper (JNI).
3- Feature rich IDE and debugging.

Those are the only 3 legitimate things I can think of [edit] and 3 is debatable.
Post 02 Jun 2009, 18:44
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
pal

pal
Someone care to explain why using .NET is better than using standard Win32? You don't see any kernel mode developments in .NET (do you?). I have used some wrappers before (MFC - sucks like hell, VCL - quite nice, but I'd rather just use standard Win32). C and ASM are where its at.

True it is popular with big projects, but I don't run anything .NET as I don't want the 500 MiB (or w/e it is) framework on my system for running one application.

Also:

Code:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/05/microsoft_update_quietly_insta.html?wprss=securityfix    

I removed that as soon as possible.
Post 02 Jun 2009, 21:10
OzzY

OzzY
My main complaint with .NET is it being heavy.

For example: People are stopping to use Nero since it started requiring .NET, because the program got a lot heavy.
Post 02 Jun 2009, 23:01
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
pal wrote:
True it is popular with big projects, but I don't run anything .NET as I don't want the 500 MiB (or w/e it is) framework on my system for running one application.
This probably works great for the enterprise but has little value for the small firm. The enterprise has all kinds of developers and software written in multiple languages and technologies but the small firm settles on one or two languages on one platform so all this .NET business is a burden.

I forgot, are the .NET classes up to 20,000 or is it more than that now?
Quote:

Also:

Code:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/05/microsoft_update_quietly_insta.html?wprss=securityfix    

I removed that as soon as possible.
I have so much trouble with those who defend Microsoft's decision to quietly install something on a 3rd party browser without notifying anyone or requesting permission. Yes, there are people who will defend that claiming it's necessary for .NET stuff to work properly. Will Flash work better if they attach something there, too? What else has Microsoft put on my computer that I don't know about?

And some people worry about Google! Sheesh.
Post 03 Jun 2009, 01:31
Borsuc

Borsuc
OzzY wrote:
Do you use/like it?
it sucks

Post 05 Jun 2009, 00:58
OzzY

OzzY
MS pretty much killed the best RAD tools for Windows.

They dropped VB6 development/support and created VB.NET which is totally incompatible.

At the same time Borland went through the MS hoop and added .NET crap to Delphi making it more buggy.

.NET is neither as good as old Delphi and VB6, plus it's not as cross-platform as Java.

What will MS do with C# in the future? Nobody knows.

That's why I prefer C++. Higher learning curve, but well worth for the speed & power, and it will never die.
Post 05 Jun 2009, 22:40
TmX

TmX
OzzY wrote:
plus it's not as cross-platform as Java.

Mono?
that's not developed by MS for sure (and probably not 100% compatible), but at least it's cross platform
Post 06 Jun 2009, 16:43
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
No self respecting *nix user would install Mono. It's anti-Unix philosophy of coding and dead weight for everything else. You're right. It's not 100% compatible either and totally unnecessary for anything in *nix.
Post 06 Jun 2009, 17:40

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: