flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Microsoft greatest profits in 2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Borsuc

Borsuc
revolution wrote:
I'm not sure about the client/server thing Borsuc, I think it is more the lack of centralised control.
That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about the philosophy behind the OS. *nix and Linux are made for multiple users. Using 1 user is considered an "exception".

Windows or DOS is the opposite: it is first a 1-user OS, but also has possibility for multiple-users (didn't have at beginning, but it grew -- similar with *nix).

I mean think of even the "drive letters" in Windows which are made for quick access for a user, but the drive system in Linux (or *nix) which is very useful for a centralized approach to mount devices, especially if on a huge network, so it makes much more sense in servers.

And that's only the top of the iceberg, so to speak.

But again, the average joe does not run a server...
If you want Linux to become popular, change it to single-user type or at least add such an option. (obviously still maintaining the multi-user environment but only with some options and NOT BY DEFAULT because the average joe does not go into settings and configurations, but the "professional" does, no problem for him).

Post 16 May 2009, 01:34

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: