flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Feedback > Firefox FASM Board Issues

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
pal

pal
Is it just me that is getting an error loading the site in Firefox (just the forum); I get a "Document contains no information" error. Sometimes I can access just the board index and the sub forums, but never a post. Also the images (icons etc.) wont resolve when this occurs. I have to use IE to access the site.

Is this the case for anyone else?

Unknown
Post 08 May 2009, 17:57
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I have some issues with Firefox from time to time and the solution is to delete the board.flatassembler.net domain's cookies.

I haven't tracked down what exactly the problem is but my bet is that this happens because of the phpbb2mysql_t cookie that tends to get bigger and bigger until the web server starts to reject it.
Post 08 May 2009, 18:11
pal

pal
Ahh yes, that sorted it. Thanks, now I can browse the boards again. Should have thought of deleting the cookies I guess Shocked
Post 08 May 2009, 18:35
Madis731

Madis731
I haven't used Firefox on this board, but Seamonkey (which is also Mozilla) and Chrome (which is ~Safari). Never had issues like that. What cookies? I should check...
Post 08 May 2009, 18:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
For those who never had problems, have you set the browser to restore the session the next time you open it? I have it that way and, for instance, I'm still logged on if I close Firefox and open it again before the server side session expires. So, even though the session cookie and the one I've mentioned above are set to expire at the end of the session, they never expire on my computer because the session never ends actually (I always close Firefox with lots of tabs open to have them ready to view the next day).

Next time this happen to me I will try to just kill phpbb2mysql_t cookie to see if that solves the problem (I believe I did that once already, but can't remember if that was enough nor if I was solving this specific problem and not the "visiting too many posts last since visit" problem).
Post 08 May 2009, 19:27
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
I've never had the problem. I've never quit out of a session as Loco mentions so I can't comment on that.

Error loading websites.
Post 09 May 2009, 02:11
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I find I can leave my session open for maximum about 2 weeks before I start getting problems. I just delete all the cookies and log in again. I never close Firefox, it runs 24/7 and works with other sites without issue, so I would attribute the problem to this board's cookie handling algorithms.

I've never tried deleting just the '_t' cookie. Next time I get the problem I will try that and see what happens.
Post 09 May 2009, 02:20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I forgot to clarify, I don't use the "remind me" feature, so although the cookies don't expire, I still have to log in again because server side session state is lost after the expiry time. But even if I log in again the phpbb2mysql_t is still present and seems to keep its size. I've just logged in and its size is still ~2.24 KB long (forgot to check its exact size when I wrote my post above but when I reset the cookies the first time it is set it is not that long, it is well below 500 bytes).

And note that in my case perhaps it is not a limitation of the hosting but rather a limitation on the (ISP imposed) transparent proxies which don't forward the HTTP request until all the message headers are fully transmitted (i.e. the <CRLF><CRLF>was sent) by my PC. Since the proxies obviously won't tolerate an arbitrary amount of bytes before the double <CRLF> sequence is sent, them simply RST the TCP connection (which on Firefox is always interpreted as a valid, zero-length HTTP/0.9 response so I see a white page).
Post 09 May 2009, 06:00
revolution

revolution
LocoDelAssembly: The long header may be symptomatic of my problem also. I'm not sure what my VPN server does with long headers (it is in another country so I can't easily go and check it). I think the ISP on the end of my VPN doesn't use any proxies. But also what about the hosting site, perhaps the virtual host computer also limits the header size?

However, even so, why does phpBB generate such large cookies? I wonder if this has been fixed/changed in version 3.
Post 09 May 2009, 06:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mac2004

Mac2004
pal: which firefox version U use?

I have FF version 3.0.10 and everything seems to work just fine.

regads,
Mac2004
Post 09 May 2009, 07:23
pal

pal
I have just updated to 3.0.10 now (since you said it was out - my FF doesn't download automatically). At the time I was using 3.0.8.
Post 09 May 2009, 10:25
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

But also what about the hosting site, perhaps the virtual host computer also limits the header size?

Yes, it should, that is the reason I don't know if it is the proxy or the hosting that is causing my problem. Perhaps the forum software takes care of the size when it reaches some size threshold but I can't see it in practice because the proxies' threshold is lower.

BTW, the cookie is now ~2.30 KB long (~0.06 KB bigger since my post above).
Post 09 May 2009, 16:18
revolution

revolution
Okay, let's track this. As of now:

_t cookie = 1593 bytes.
_data cookie = 126 bytes.
_sid cookie = 32 bytes.
Post 09 May 2009, 17:56
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I've killed my cookies.

One I logged in again I had this only:

phpbb2mysql_data = 104 bytes
phpbb2mysql_sid = 34 bytes
(phpbb2mysql_t doesn't exist yet)

And after visiting http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?p=93986#93986 from "posts since last visit" this:

phpbb2mysql_data = 104 bytes
phpbb2mysql_sid = 34 bytes
phpbb2mysql_t = 46 bytes (Now the cookie is set for the first time)
Post 09 May 2009, 18:24
revolution

revolution
I will leave my cookies intact for now and try to remember to post again tomorrow around the same time.
Post 09 May 2009, 18:31
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Seems I have commented myself something about this before: http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?p=74771#74771 (I can't remember if I was behind transparent proxies at that time, the ISP removes them for some time and then set them back from time to time)
Post 09 May 2009, 18:34
Madis731

Madis731
Sad I cannot measure the size because its wrapped in an SQL database.
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1b5pre) Gecko/20090509 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
Post 09 May 2009, 18:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
pal

pal
My phpbb2mysql_t size is 501 bytes (copied straight from Cookie Editor (so is in the format Bi%3A1241887239 etc.)). I reseted my once LocoDelAssembly said that would work.
Post 09 May 2009, 19:00
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Madis731 wrote:
Sad I cannot measure the size because its wrapped in an SQL database.
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1b5pre) Gecko/20090509 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre

It doesn't comes with a "show cookies" feature like Firefox? (Tools>Options, privacy, show cookies button).

To see my cookies I've used http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/ (works with Seamonkey too), because I had it already installed and it is more handy as well.
Post 09 May 2009, 19:27
Madis731

Madis731
Found it. In the "Stored Cookies" under Tools>Cookie Manager>Manage Stored Cookies there's Information which also includes "Content"
I used some FASM-magic and here's what I got

edited by vid: cookies hidden due to revolutions request
Post 10 May 2009, 07:39

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: