flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Passion of the christ: film worth a watch ?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
wisepenguin

wisepenguin
hello,
I notice passion of the christ is on tv tonight in england, and was wondering if people like it or not and would recommend watching it ?

freeview->more 4: 10pm

i also wonder if any non christians/jews thought the film was any good and worth a watch ?

have a good night
Post 11 Apr 2009, 19:42
Borsuc

Borsuc
What a coincidence it's here as well lol.
It's got 5/5 stars in the magazine review (not that I pay attention cause I enjoy most movies with 2/5 stars). I didn't watch it and probably won't due to some complications though.

Good night to you as well Wink
Post 11 Apr 2009, 20:18
wisepenguin

wisepenguin
hello,
i've just finished watching it and i thought it was a good, moving piece of cinema.

i'm not very knowledge in the crucifixion of jesus so i cannot say how well it matches with the stories - but the message definitely hits home.

borsuc: i notice the actress who played mary is from romania, is she well known or in any films you have seen ? Maia Morgenstern.

have a good night
Post 11 Apr 2009, 23:38
Borsuc

Borsuc
To be honest with you, I don't know, it's not necessarily that I don't watch many movies but that I don't remember the actor names so well (in fact, when I want, I can easily remember them -- as I have a few exceptions).

Maybe this can help a bit. Smile
Post 13 Apr 2009, 01:41
rugxulo

rugxulo
On the one hand, if you're Christian, why wouldn't you want to watch it? But if you're not Christian, why would you? Then again, it can't hurt either way, can it? And surely I don't think this one very short movie can explain Christianity in any useful manner (not that it tried either). So what's the point? Popcorn? Just a laugh? It seems pointless. Much better to do something else. But maybe it's meant to evoke some kind of emotion for us believers so that we realize how real this suffering was.
Post 14 Apr 2009, 21:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
The film was a very powerful piece when I saw it. (It's the Mel Gibson one, correct?) Very well done. Perhaps the best film of its type I had seen in a long time, regardless of your views on religion.
Post 14 Apr 2009, 21:24
rugxulo

rugxulo
But that's kinda my point: why bother? It's not meant to be "just" a movie, and it's pointless to watch it for entertainment only when 99.99% of all other movies cater to that.

I'm not saying nobody should watch it. They problem should. And believe in Christ. And follow His commandments. But most don't. It's a very very very difficult world, circumstances are not ideal.

And yes, I know nobody cares what I think about this. Let's not start a whole other religious argument thread ad nauseum here. I'm not going to bother, so feel free to waste your own precious time.
Post 14 Apr 2009, 21:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
rugxulo wrote:
But that's kinda my point: why bother? It's not meant to be "just" a movie, and it's pointless to watch it for entertainment only when 99.99% of all other movies cater to that.
There are hundreds of movies where you can make the same statement. Most contain a message of some sort, a moral to the story, even if they may be perceived as entertainment only. I didn't see it for any reason but to be entertained and I was.
Post 15 Apr 2009, 14:52
tom tobias

tom tobias
wisepenguin wrote:
I notice passion of the christ is on tv tonight in england, and was wondering if people like it or not and would recommend watching it ?

I agree with drhowarddrfine.
However, I would like to add that the route taken by Jesus, if there were such a person, is now suspect, i.e. it is not the old via dolorosa, as pictured in the Mel Gibson movie, but rather the route proposed by the Archaeologist Shimon Gibson, which folks currently are suggesting represents the authentic route.

Personally, I think Jesus of Nazareth is a myth, created about 100 CE. I find it very interesting that the devout Catholic, dare I write, uber-catholic, Mel Gibson, is seeking a divorce from his (old) wife, in order to marry a pretty young thing, well, not that young, but somewhat more youthful. Anyway, there were no papers signed prior to the ceremony, i.e. no Prenuptial agreement, hence, she now stands to walk away with HALF A BILLION dollars from this divorce, so somebody besides me and Howard likes his movie. I thought Catholics were monogamous til death do us part....????

Well, I am monogamous, sort of. FASM til death.

Anyone interested in starting a thread on Christianity, and its rationale, I will be keen to participate, starting with Matthew 19: 28.

Smile
Post 15 Apr 2009, 21:41
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I saw the film some time ago not long after it came out. I didn't find it very entertaining but I did find it interesting. Gibson shows what is the supposed suffering of Jesus in his last few hours before, and during, being put on the cross in quite some detail. Plus a bit of the politics going on around the place. Not something I feel I want to see again, it wasn't interesting enough for that.

Actually the only reason I saw it was because of the long line of protesters telling me not to. I was just curious to see what all the fuss was about. Perhaps Gibson paid the people to organise protests to help the film? So there is some lesson to learn there. If you don't want people to watch something (i.e. you want to suppress ideas you don't like) then don't go organising protests and publicity stunts!
Post 16 Apr 2009, 09:49
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I quess Mel Gibson didn't include view of big portion of christians, that Jesus as a sort-of-god can't really suffer. People were persecuted at hands of catholics for holding this opinion, likely just as much as Jesus was, any movies about those martyrs?

(I haven't watched the movie yet, because I only like comedy gore movies, like Braindead or Evil Dead 2)
Post 16 Apr 2009, 09:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: