flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Ham radio operator, anyone here?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi,
am really interested to become ham radio operator, wonder anyone here can guide and tips a little bit?

i plan to take the exam next year. hopefully.
Post 04 Apr 2009, 11:49
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
I became one in 1968, went as far as Advanced Class, but let my license expire about 15 years ago since I never used it anymore. I really don't know what the requirements are anymore but the best thing you can do is look to the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) as an authoritative source of how to do anything. Their Handbook was very good but had been dumbed down at one time. I think it went back to its technical roots, though.

When I was on, the experience was quite fun but could be incredibly boring. Some of my best friends I met online. Kind of like the internet today. Pulling morse code out of the static from some faraway country, and then receiving a QSL card from them, was pretty exciting.

Funny story: I carried on a long conversation with an Indian ham one day but he was sending morse too fast for me to understand. I repeatedly asked him to slow down but he wouldn't. However, I got enough info to send him a QSL card. He wrote back and it was then that I found out I was "conversing" with an automated news service.

The boring parts are when you want to talk to someone but you get some old guy that has nothing to say, at least back when I was on. They'd say "Hi. Great weather we're having here." You'd respond the same and then they'd sign off. Usually the old guys.

Post 04 Apr 2009, 15:07
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Just found this, coincidentally, in case you're interested. Building my own gear was one of the more fun aspects of being a ham. I just don't know how many do that nowadays, unfortunately. When I first got in, almost everybody built at least one thing they owned and everybody knew Morse. Then things got dumbed down and there were far too many "appliance operators" and that's when things weren't fun anymore.

If you're interested in electronics and building things, it's a fun way to test things out, especially if you can find other like-minded hams. There's probably a club in your town you can join.
Post 04 Apr 2009, 15:31
HyperVista

HyperVista
sleepsleep and drhowarddrfine - one aspect of ham radio I've gotten interested in lately (over the last 10 years) is packet radio. It combines some aspects of Ham Radio and computers/software. I'm not an operator like drhowarddrfine, but I do listen to Ham broadcasts and Shortware in general. I have an AOR AR5000 receiver and Kantronics TNC I like to decode with from time to time.
Post 04 Apr 2009, 22:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: