flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > 10K threads

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DOS386

DOS386
Forum has 10'000 threads now (a few of them got deleted in the past, though).

Self-link: http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=10000
Post 29 Mar 2009, 05:41
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Will you posting here for the 100000th post also?

Why is it that the human population, in general, likes to make special mention of numbers that, in base ten, finish in all zeros? What about base two and the 10000000000000000th post? Or base three? Or five? Is ten fingers really so special?
Post 29 Mar 2009, 06:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Logically, ten fingers should give base 11, not base 10.
Post 29 Mar 2009, 09:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
vid, are you vulcan? Wink
Post 29 Mar 2009, 10:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
vid wrote:
Logically, ten fingers should give base 11, not base 10.
That is not logical Mr. Spock.
Post 29 Mar 2009, 10:23
edfed

edfed
i completelly agree with VID.
but where i don't agree is the real base:
two hands then, base two for the most significant digit and base 5 for the least significant digit.

00 01 02 03 04
10 11 12 13 14

but a bit more comlicated because you can count only on one hand, or with the feet.

it explains that martians are in base 69 because they have 6 hands of 9 fingers.
Post 29 Mar 2009, 11:53
tom tobias

tom tobias
edfed wrote:
...it explains that martians are in base 69 because they have 6 hands of 9 fingers.
yes, but what about Marseitians?
Post 30 Mar 2009, 10:37
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
vid, are you vulcan?

Somehow I don't get the joke, probably because I never really watched Star Trek very much.

Quote:
That is not logical Mr. Spock

Okay, so according to common-sense. And yes, I realize that reason for 10 was due to accepting base 10 prior to accepting concept to zero and all that. I just say that with current positional number system with zero, if we would want to base its base on fingers, it would seem pretty sane to me to be able to express exactly one digit on fingers, eg. 0 to 10 = base 11.

If we wanted somewhat bigger range, we could use base 6 numbers one digit per each hand, which would yield 36 numbers. And of course, if we wanted max range we could use binary and have 1024 numbers, but that would be quite a finger-breaker (and I know, I play guitar).
Post 30 Mar 2009, 11:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
vid: How many fingers for you have?! Can you take a pen and write all the digits from 0 to 10[sic] with each digit on a separate finger? Last time I looked there were only 10 digits, 0 through 9.

So back to school time:

Base 2: uses digits 0 through 1
Base 3: uses digits 0 through 2
Base 10: uses digits 0 through 9
Post 30 Mar 2009, 11:40
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
revolution, but when you count with your hand you don't use a finger to represent 0, instead you close your hand completely.

So with hands we represent 11 numbers starting from a completely closed hand (0), to a completely open hand (10). Since I believe vid means that with both hands we represent eleven numbers with a single digit then we could say that representation with two hands has a 0..A range.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 16:24
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
With binary we can count to 2^10-1 on the fingers - which I've taught to several children.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 16:41
Borsuc

Borsuc
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
revolution, but when you count with your hand you don't use a finger to represent 0, instead you close your hand completely.
I have never heard or seen anyone show 0 with hands at all. How do you show 0 to someone? Show him a fist? (obviously you have to do something, not just stay there). I've never seen such a thing.

Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:21
revolution

revolution
Borsuc wrote:
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
I have never heard or seen anyone show 0 with hands at all. How do you show 0 to someone? Show him a fist? (obviously you have to do something, not just stay there). I've never seen such a thing.
I hold the tip of my index finger to the tip of my thumb to form an O shape.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:25
Borsuc

Borsuc
LOL I know what you mean, but that's not counting. That's sign language. With that I think we can go as far as base 128 Laughing
Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:27
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Not sure but I'm sure that I haven't seen someone showing zero with one finger neither Wink
Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:29
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Bent finger is zero and straight finger is one.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:33
revolution

revolution
bitRAKE wrote:
Bent finger is zero and straight finger is one.
So now you can teach the children how to count to 3^10-1.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:36
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
seems much for very little hands - I'll give it a try though
Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:42
revolution

revolution
vid wrote:
I just say that with current positional number system with zero, if we would want to base its base on fingers, it would seem pretty sane to me to be able to express exactly one digit on fingers, eg. 0 to 10 = base 11.
Okay, I see the confusion now. What vid is describing is Base 1 counting. I don't think this can be ascribed to any of the higher base position systems because it just doesn't work that way. Each finger is worth the same amount (they are all multiples of 1) and there is no notion of one position being of higher value than another. bitRAKE's example of counting to 2^10-1 is a position numbering system and each finger is worth a differing multiplier.
Post 03 Apr 2009, 11:50
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
revolution: That's how people count on fingers, or show number by hands all the time - each stretched finger is worth 1. I haven't ever seen anyone use positional system with hands. So as I said, if you want to base number of digits in positional numeric system on hand-showing numbers, using 11 digits would be most logical, because that you can show exactly one digit by your hands and you never cross position boundary (as you do with 10 digits). Clear enough, I hope.

btw, I already mentioned counting to 2^10-1 previously, here:
vid wrote:
And of course, if we wanted max range we could use binary and have 1024 numbers, but that would be quite a finger-breaker (and I know, I play guitar).
Post 03 Apr 2009, 12:15

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: