flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > 32 bit assembler in VB

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
TmX

TmX
Yup, as the title says : 32 bit assembler written in VB Shocked

http://planetsourcecode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=69861&lngWId=1

Seems interesting ... Laughing
Post 01 Apr 2008, 12:01
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
LOL, forget it, VB to write assembly, seems backwards to me.
Post 01 Apr 2008, 12:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sakeniwefu

sakeniwefu
One would think that in an assembly forum you would call it a step forward.
Next step is using fasm.
Post 01 Apr 2008, 13:14
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sakeniwefu wrote:
One would think that in an assembly forum you would call it a step forward.
Next step is using fasm.
I suppose so, depends on how you look at it.
Post 01 Apr 2008, 13:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
VBers can enter in contact with asm, and maybe, continue in asm and become coders.

but have less than 0.001 probability to happen.

(L) VB forever (L)
Post 01 Apr 2008, 23:33
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Good news is that it uses NASM/FASM style syntax.

But personally, I don't see use for yet-another-assembler (oh wait, that's YASM already, so yet-another-yet-another-assembler).
Post 02 Apr 2008, 01:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
yep, this is the only good news.

fasm syntax and IDE are powerfull enough to build serious projects. in the early ages of computer, when they invent the powerfull C language, remember that screens and machines was crappy, in this early ages of PC, coding in ASM was really a torture (text mode, @@: edit, dos, compile, dos, linking, dos, execute, bug, jmp @b). but now, it's is possible to code in asm for professional purposes. and since fasm, it is really possible. IDE for menuet;, dexos, octaos, DOS and windows... and maybe one day for my own OS (if it ever exist one day)

just look at the power of this tool, and you'll see what is possible, winAPI and linux coding with the same compiler... if only they had that in GCC...
i don't know GCC ( only the poor asm syntax) but i doubt it can compile & launch code for windows and DOS.
Post 02 Apr 2008, 01:49
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
edfed: this is like 100th time I am saying this to you, but rather don't comment on things you don't understand. First, go on, and try some multiplatform C coding from command line (and do it proper way, not custom inventions), then try some Asm multiplatform coding, and AFTER THAT repost your opinions on both.
Post 02 Apr 2008, 13:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
sakeniwefu

sakeniwefu
vid, GCC does not compile for Windows, only POSIX systems. VisualC isn't source compatible. There is mingw but it is another incompatible hack, and it has no support AT ALL for x64 windows. How is that better than writing your code to be linked to a C library, and then having COFF, COFF64 or ELF,ELF64 wrappers. You need the linker, but otherwise is completely portable between OSes.
Post 03 Apr 2008, 11:33
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
1. asm code is completely unportable across 32 / 64 bits
2. with few "hacks", (similar to ones you use in FASM to compile into multiple object formats) you can make C code compilable by both MSVC and GCC - there is plenty of such projects around
3. edfed was saying that IDE with CTRL+F9 is better than command line toolchain - that might be true, but only until your project reaches some real-world size
Post 03 Apr 2008, 16:22
dap

dap
vid wrote:
2. with few "hacks", (similar to ones you use in FASM to compile into multiple object formats) you can make C code compilable by both MSVC and GCC - there is plenty of such projects around

No hack needed, C is perfectly portable unless you use C99 which isn't much intersesting anyway. The problem is that the C library is very minimalistic so you may have to use another portable library like PDCurses or GTK.

Post 03 Apr 2008, 16:43
edfed

edfed
command line is, in my own (not the best) opinion, a kind of cerebral masturbation, like:
Ho! my computer is full of matrix(tm) like chars, how i am a good coder, i understand 99% of the text flow. it is very hard to understand what i type, but my PC understand and i feel so intelligent.

command line like linux one is very a thing to feel genius when you can communicate with. then, i'm not genius, i don't want to learn all the stranges commands for linux, and then, i'm not a linux-geek-fashion-victim at all.

a linux friend of mine tell me to implement the comand line to my work, but what kind of command line? i'm not an informatician, just a coder and an electronician. and i still have a command line but it is not the best way to use a machine.

command line can be replaced by a mouse without loss of performance.

that's all for the COMMAND LINE.
Post 03 Apr 2008, 16:58
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
No hack needed, C is perfectly portable unless you use C99 which isn't much intersesting anyway. The problem is that the C library is very minimalistic so you may have to use another portable library like PDCurses or GTK.

you still may need some per-compiler things, like some form of stdint.h, sometimes you may need some pragme, etc.

edfed: you should try to use command line (properly) for some time, maybe you'll change your opinion. Also, FASMW way of "building project" is very insufficient for any bigger project. You need either some form of makefile, or IDE with project support.
Post 03 Apr 2008, 17:27
rugxulo

rugxulo
vid wrote:
edfed: this is like 100th time I am saying this to you, but rather don't comment on things you don't understand. First, go on, and try some multiplatform C coding from command line (and do it proper way, not custom inventions), then try some Asm multiplatform coding, and AFTER THAT repost your opinions on both.

What, things like QEMU or BOCHS (or even DOSBox) don't count?? If you use them, it's all portable! Razz

BTW, I wouldn't suggest bare ANSI C are super useful for "real world" use (too minimal), so in that case, you could equally use something else instead (Perl, Python, Ruby, Forth, etc.). There is no "one size fits all".
Post 03 Apr 2008, 20:01

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: