flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Game Frameworks,worth the investment?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Embrance

Embrance
I am currently doing some test in ASM,as I want to make a small strategy game.It will be either real time or turn-based.

So,for the real time part I was considering on using a framework specifically made for game like the Torque Game Engine,which is kinda cheap and looks promising,and it has some examples on RTS and a complete RTS pack which you can buy.Now that will mean that I will have to use C++ or thei dialect of C for coding the game.Im fine with C but hell I hate C++,dont know why...

On the other hand I was thinking of making my own ASM framework(which would take some time)with very specific function that I want and leave everything else aside.Why is this?I am considered about speed and how much would an RTS play on an old machine.All modern game engines have a bunch of features,which rarely are used,and bloat up and make heavy the whole game I believe -thats what I want to avoid-.

Now the game will be 2D -OR- 3D.
From my little knowledge,a 2D turn based game would require less PC power(Speed,RAM)and a little to no gfx power,as most things are preloaded,and we are talking about small sprites here.If however I make a 2D real time strategy game,It would require some more,maybe 30-40% mor preprocessing power,as most stuff will be rendered on the fly,along with the units movements,and such stuff.

As a 3D game,I would like to make something without a bunch of useless stuff,something basic and advanced that isnt a resource hog at the same time(See Kohan 2).Kohan2 models dont use a hell bunch of useless polygons have quite nice gfx effects and generally are fine.

Maybe I could take some routines to load files(sound,gfx,etc)using ASM or either C,and then make my path finding, stuff,and code some turn routines,etc...

What are your thoughts on this?This is a generally theoretical topic,
as I have yet to decide which way to go.
Post 01 Sep 2007, 23:27
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Last time I saw anybody talking about making a game fully in assembly was hostile encounter. It's been under development for several years, isn't done yet, and looked sorta outdated even years ago.

You'll have to ask yourself why you feel like doing this in assembly. If it's "for fun" or because "I enjoy coding in asm", then fine. But that's about the only reasonable arguments for doing "full asm development".

You'll also have to ask yourself whether you want to program a game, or a game framework. If it's the former, it's probably a good idea to see if some of those game frameworks suit your needs, and focus on the interesting stuff - actually developing a game - instead of getting lost in the details of doing a full framework.
Post 02 Sep 2007, 10:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Embrance

Embrance
What would be the difference in coding it in BASIC or C,instead of ASM?Headaches trying to figure our wtf was crewed up?
Post 02 Sep 2007, 21:00
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
I for one am one of those strange coders who not only like to code everthing in ASM, but also find it easier, maybe Embrance the same ?.
What platform are you thinking about coding for, as i design DexOS for games as well as otherthings, as its based on the Xbox OS.
But not being a gamer myself, i was hoping someone who's into games would start the ball rolling, but so far its not happend.
Post 03 Sep 2007, 02:16
Mac2004

Mac2004
Dex4u wrote:
Quote:

I for one am one of those strange coders who not only like to code everthing in ASM, but also find it easier, maybe Embrance the same ?.

I find asm easier and most preferred.... Especially with the Fasm, which is one of the best tools available. Smile

Embrance: Coding bigger projects by using asm is just a matter of skill and will. They are not impossible at all. Smile

regards,
Mac2004
Post 03 Sep 2007, 04:04
Embrance

Embrance
The thing with coding in ASM,is that I could optimize the code in ways that a higher level language couldnt. And since I want the game to run in OLD hardware,the only way is ASM.
Dex->What I have in mind is for the game to be completely software rendered,so no need for SDL,DX or OGL and hardware gfx card.That would make it possible to run it on every machine that would have some basic amount of RAM.I will take a look to your OS,as I once had a similar idea(a multimedia,gaming OS).
Post 03 Sep 2007, 10:51
Dex4u

Dex4u
@Embrance, New ver will be out some time this week, i just need to sort out a new logo. theres many new things added.
Including new driver relocatable driver, bat files support + more.

PS: If you find forum down use the old backup http://dex.7.forumer.com/
Post 05 Sep 2007, 15:32

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: