flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > DOS Navigator legacy


What's your opinion?
I like DOS Navigator, and Frigate3 is a good one, too
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
I like DOS Navigator, but Frigate3 does not appeal to me
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
I don't like any of them
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
I even don't know what DOS Navigator is
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar



Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 7736
Location: Kraków, Poland
Tomasz Grysztar
As you may already know, I am the big fan of DOS Navigator, which was my main environment in the times when fasm was born - and still every time that I work in DOS, I cannot live without it. Smile

Because I was so used to DN's features and "philosophy" (note that fasmw's editor inherits much from DN's one), I was for a long time looking for some nice program that become the same for me in Windows environment. In fact, I dreamed of some tool that would work like DN, with the most of its features and shortcuts, but also with the general Win32 shell features at the same time. I tried Total Commander, but I hated it (first - it was more descendant of NC than of DN; second - I really think that it looks bad).

Some time ago I came upon the website of the Frigate3 file manager and tried it. The website mentions it to be a descendant of Norton Commander, not a word about DOS Navigator, however after running it and trying I had no doubt - many features were working the same way as in DN, almost all my favorite shortkeys did exactly what I expected, etc.
It appears to be a bit buggy - but I learned to avoid the most annoying bugs Wink (the really bad thing is that I had to give full permissions to program's folder in order to make it work on my limited account)
And so I decided to use it and to buy a license. Well, I hope that they will continue the development (at least bugfixing), as I really feel "at home" with this program. And, as greater popularity means greater chances of continued development, I write here about it, in hope this might also boots its popularity a little. Wink
Post 30 May 2007, 15:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development


Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Posts: 7105
Location: Slovakia
vid
did you try Necromancer's Dos Navigator rewrite?
Post 30 May 2007, 15:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar



Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 7736
Location: Kraków, Poland
Tomasz Grysztar
It's nice, but it's textmode and lacks some of the Win32 shell features. Frigate combines the DN-like features with Explorer-like ones, and I find this extremely useful.
Post 30 May 2007, 15:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731



Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Posts: 2140
Location: Estonia
Madis731
I answered "don't know", but as I see from the screenshots, I might start to like it... of course right now it feels bloated with graphics, but I'll see someday.

From shortcut keys (you say you liked them) I remember two days ago I found out Shift+F9 by accident and I loved it immediately. I'm a keyboard shortcut "freak". Who needs mouse anyway Razz
Post 30 May 2007, 17:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
rugxulo



Joined: 09 Aug 2005
Posts: 2341
Location: Usono (aka, USA)
rugxulo
It certainly looks good and useful, that's for sure. If you like it, be sure to use it (and report bugs, heh). Wink

I like NDN (32-bit DOS, Win32, Linux) a lot, and it's constantly (!) being improved. In fact, it was updated yesterday. Laughing

Also, check out DN/2 (available for Win32 and OS/2 and is the only DNOSP project still active, AFAIK).

For simpler needs, try DOSZip (LFN support, built-in unzip, recently updated).
Post 31 May 2007, 04:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Enko



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 678
Location: Mar del Plata
Enko
I prefare to use the windows explorer without the explore folder toolbar.
It's a bit inconfortable to browse many folders at the same time (need to open and close a lot).
For text edit I like Crimson Editor. Simple and confortable.
Post 31 May 2007, 19:47
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DOS386



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 1901
DOS386
Quote:
dreamed of some tool that would work like DN, with the most of its features and shortcuts, but also with the general Win32 shell features


I prefer without them Wink

Quote:
tried Total Commander, but I hated it (first - it was more descendant of NC than of DN; second - I really think that it looks bad


It looks good and is good ... except not free and no DOS version Confused

Quote:
came upon the website of the Frigate3 file manager and tried it.


10 MiB ??? Too B L O A T E D for me ... obviously not written with FASM Smile

NDN (DOS) is good ... but a bit too complicated and bloated also.

I dream of a 32-bit FM for DOS written in FASM Smile
Post 31 May 2007, 22:46
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development


Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Posts: 7105
Location: Slovakia
vid
i dream of File Manager with nontrivial controls that allows more control after you learn it (simply - VIM-like file manager :] )
Post 31 May 2007, 23:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar



Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 7736
Location: Kraków, Poland
Tomasz Grysztar
NTOSKRNL_VXE wrote:
Quote:
dreamed of some tool that would work like DN, with the most of its features and shortcuts, but also with the general Win32 shell features


I prefer without them Wink

Well, that's perhaps the main point here - I liked Frigate so much, because the DN+Explorer combination was exactly what I was looking for.

NTOSKRNL_VXE wrote:
Quote:
tried Total Commander, but I hated it (first - it was more descendant of NC than of DN; second - I really think that it looks bad

It looks good and is good ... except not free and no DOS version Confused

De gustibus non disputandum... Wink
Well, I just recalled that I initially refused to switch from NC to DN, as DN was looking "ugly" to me. However more and more features I have seen my friends using in it, finally convinced me to try - I customized it too look at least a bit like NC I was switching from, and... voila! I got bound to it forever. Wink

NTOSKRNL_VXE wrote:
Quote:
came upon the website of the Frigate3 file manager and tried it.


10 MiB ??? Too B L O A T E D for me ... obviously not written with FASM Smile

NDN (DOS) is good ... but a bit too complicated and bloated also.

Yeah, DN itself was also a bit bloated in its times (compare with Volkov Commander, for example - BTW, was VC written in assembly? Most probably yes...).

vid wrote:
i dream of File Manager with nontrivial controls that allows more control after you learn it (simply - VIM-like file manager :] )

A good dream. But "getting more and more control as you learn the sophisticated controls" also reflects a bit the feeling I had sometimes with DN... Frigate seems not to be as powerful in Win32 environment as DN was powerful in DOS... However with its plugin abilities it may well become.
Post 01 Jun 2007, 09:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MazeGen



Joined: 06 Oct 2003
Posts: 977
Location: Czechoslovakia
MazeGen
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
(compare with Volkov Commander, for example - BTW, was VC written in assembly? Most probably yes...).

I read an interview with the author few years ago and it was really written in asm. IIRC, VC was long time smaller than 64 KB so it came with COM file.
Post 01 Jun 2007, 09:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pelaillo
Missing in inaction


Joined: 19 Jun 2003
Posts: 878
Location: Colombia
pelaillo
I get too used to xplorer2 and its features. There are so many features and shortcuts to become addictive and is just above 1 MB total size. It has multiple panes and advanced search/comparison functions, filters. There's a free version that's just ok and a commercial one that has still more features.
See it yourself:
http://www.zabkat.com/x2lite.htm
Post 01 Jun 2007, 13:01
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar



Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 7736
Location: Kraków, Poland
Tomasz Grysztar
Yeah, I tried this one earlier during my search - and it's really good. I did not stay with it only because some it its behaviors were a bit too far from the so-called "orthodox file manager" style (at least when trying from my DN-addict point of view), also the text editor didn't match my expectations - however nice thing about it is that it's really fast.
Post 01 Jun 2007, 13:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  


< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2020, Tomasz Grysztar. Also on YouTube, Twitter.

Website powered by rwasa.