flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Buying new PC. Need configuration advice.

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Hello!
i'm thinking about buying a new computer.
I need at least a good processor, lots of RAM, and 2 HD (I will install Windows and Linux on different HDs - much better in my opinion).
So, it must be fairly cheap and powerful enough for new games, internet, programming, videos, music, etc.
What hardware pieces do you recommend?
I'm thinking about getting AMD instead of Intel, what do you think? (much cheaper)

Thanks Very Happy
Post 14 May 2007, 18:59
HyperVista

HyperVista
Hi OzzY. It's always fun contemplating a new machine. I highly recommend you buy parts and build your own. I like www.newegg.com as a supplier.

If you're going to buy one already assembled, check out alienware
Sure, it's a gamer's platform, but it also makes a kickass development machine for the same reasons it's a good gamer. It's not AMD based, but not overly priced for an Intel box.

Enjoy scoping out your new box.
Post 14 May 2007, 20:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I was thinking about one too. I only have notebook, which (in theory) belongs to company anyway. That means i have harder time with linuxes, and i can't play with virtualization. At least the notebook has 64bit processor...
Post 14 May 2007, 21:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
64bits + 8GB ram ozzy, thats the way to compute Very Happy
Post 15 May 2007, 15:23
DustWolf

DustWolf
OzzY wrote:
Hello!
i'm thinking about buying a new computer.
I need at least a good processor, lots of RAM, and 2 HD (I will install Windows and Linux on different HDs - much better in my opinion).
So, it must be fairly cheap and powerful enough for new games, internet, programming, videos, music, etc.
What hardware pieces do you recommend?
I'm thinking about getting AMD instead of Intel, what do you think? (much cheaper)

General idea is: LC Power + MSI + nVidia (nForce) + AMD. I've been building machines with this setup for a while now and never been dissapointed.

LC Power makes nice cases (not esthetics, but they got holes for uninterrupted airflow and they're light) and good power supplies (12 cm fan 550W green giants r cool).

AMD processors are actually quite good, don't entirely trust individual benchmarks, I've seen them rate the same processors as the good ones, the bad ones and the ugly, depending on which benchmark u look at. In practice, a latest AMD dualcore is comparable to the latest Intel quadcore (hence newest processors of both are evenly matched). Since you are an ASM programmer I recommend you take a look at the theory (instruction sets, memory rates and timings, that sort of thing) and decide what best matches ur coding style for yourself.

On AMD systems, the motherboard is hardly even significant in regards to preformance, so you are looking for something that is reliable and offers a lot of capabilities. That's MSI with the nForce chipset. They have nice BIOS (guesses configuration right), I never seen one go bad (as opposed to, say, Asus or Gigabyte) and enough capability for any gadget-maniac (SATA hotplug, boot from USB cardreader, etc, etc).

nVidia graphic cards are also the thing you'd want (unless of course you're happy with your graphics card having a driver based on Microsoft .NET, then u can go for ATI) since they're reliable, capable and not noname.

Pay keen attention to compatibility, so that everything fits in everything else (AM2, DDR2, 3pin fans, that sort of thing) and to money-related choices (buying a cheaper graphics card is an immensly bad idea if you intend to play any 3D games rich in triangles, having an overwattaged PSU helps protect your other hardware, etc).

Assembling a computer is fun, get as much documentation on the fine specifics as you can, if you can spare the time, knowing how the hardware components utilize eachother can be thrilling and productive. Wink

EDIT: I seem to have forgotten a few things...
* The harddisk brand: I go for Seagate because I'm a fancy optimizations junkie and Seagate harddisks got this Native Command Queueing which is supposed to do something in that general direction.
* Card reader: Akasa has some nifty internal ones. I'd pick AllInOne, cuz' it's a gadget.
* Heat paste: If you're going to replace the wax under the CPU cooler with actual heatpaste Akasa seems to have some that sure earned my respect. Heatpaste isn't pointless on air-cooled systems, in fact, if you're as paranoid as I am, you will find having your CPU cooler at the same temperature as the CPU can be quite reasuring.

Also note that AMD Athlon 64 processors are no longer as super-heated as their XP cousins. The AMD Athlon 64 3800+ singlecore runs completely cold even at full load, tho as performance goes up, of course, the heat does as well.
Post 16 May 2007, 16:22
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
DustWolf wrote:
a latest AMD dualcore is comparable to the latest Intel quadcore

But Intel keeps better anyway http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/20/does-amds-athlon-64-x2-6000-have-any-kick-left/
Post 16 May 2007, 17:41
DustWolf

DustWolf

I will stick to what I said about single benchmarks, tho the website u provide seems to have some credibility. I've seen benchmarks that rated much slower AMD CPUs way above the procesors that seem to beat it twofold here and I have a reason to believe them.
Post 17 May 2007, 17:37
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: