flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > YASM

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Post 30 Aug 2006, 08:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
I'm familiar with YASM. I looked at it last year as I was trying to decide which assembler to go with (finally decided on FASM, of course). It wasn't mature enough last year for my needs.

Here's a link I hope you will find helpful (links to Yasm downloads)
http://freshmeat.net/projects/yasm/
Post 30 Aug 2006, 09:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
seems it can't generate PE. Only advantage it has is debugging info, hope tomasz adds that soon... then FASM definitively will be best :] (from what i know)
Post 30 Aug 2006, 10:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
IMHO, FASM is already the "hands down" best assembler out there. I decided to go with FASM last year because of it's power and frankly because of the very helpful, extremely intelligent and supportive community. Sure, additional debugging support would be great, but FASM is already the best thing going.
Post 30 Aug 2006, 10:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
it is, but still not definitively Smile
Post 30 Aug 2006, 11:23
RedGhost

RedGhost
If I remember correctly yasm was a continuation of nasm or a clone something similar, fasm is better.

Post 30 Aug 2006, 12:47
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
RedGhost is right. Yasm was a continuation of nasm to include new formats and 64-bit support.
It's not too bad. It has good features (lots of output formats), is free and better than using old assemblers like Tasm or Masm.
You may like to use Yasm under Linux, because it can understand both nasm's and GAS' syntax. GCC for example, use GAS syntax (which I don't like. FASM's intel ideal mode syntax is far better).

They wrote Yasm in C to be portable. But FASM is also portable and written in ASM. So no big deal. ;D

I agree that FASM is really better, since it has better features, is written in ASM (not C like Yasm), is faster and has a better support with this forum. FASM's macro language is also the most powerfull I've seem.
FASM can still be improved adding new formats support, and debugging, etc. But it is and will always be (I think) a work under development (which lets it be allways a modern tool).

I'm allways trying new languages/compilers. I used Tasm, Masm, Nasm, Yasm, but when found FASM I fell in love with it.

FASM is the best assembler I've ever seem. The biggest advantage is:
It has a new concept of programming like "what you type in sources is what you get", and it also shows that assembly programs can be multi-platform, still being optimized and (with the help of macros) abstract some low-level stuff if you want and help you build big projects.

FASM is able to output PE without a linker. For me it is the feature that I like most, together with "what you type is what you get". I think it should be accepted as new programming paradigm! Laughing
"Forget OOP, the future is Flat!" Cool

This FAQ answers most questions: http://www.tortall.net/projects/yasm/wiki/Faq
Post 30 Aug 2006, 16:58
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Q: Why doesn't Yasm error out on invalid or typoed opcodes like innt3?

A: A quirk of the NASM compatible syntax is single identifiers on a line that aren't registers or instructions become labels. You can track these down easily by adding -Worphan-labels to your command line.

% echo 'innt3' | yasm -pnasm -Worphan-labels
-:1: warning: label alone on a line without a colon might be in error

i find this incredibly stupid for handwriting code
Post 31 Aug 2006, 05:13
f0dder

f0dder
I second that, vid.

Imho labels should only be declared by suffixing a colon, or (if you're into that kind of thing) by prefixing it with 'label'. (Well, and of course procs and variables are a kind of labels too).
Post 31 Aug 2006, 12:58

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: