flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Feedback > Coding in 64bit with FASM

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
jochenvnltn



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Posts: 70
For Tomasz Grysztar !

I have a question.. Can you maybe write a book about coding in 64bit with FASM ?
Tips and tricks, best way to keep the stack aligned, best and most easy way for creating stack frames etc ..

If you decided to do so, and would sell a copy of the book for 300$, ill buy 2.
One i keep myself, the other i gift wrap and send back to you as a thank you for writing the book in the first place.

Happy Newyear & again thank you for FASM !!

Wink
Post 02 Jan 2018, 11:50
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist


Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 6968
Location: Kraków, Poland
I do plan to write a book about assembly, but what I have in mind would have a much wider scope. But there are also plans of my further cooperation with the author of a recently published book, and what he writes may be better focused on things like modern x64 coding.
Post 04 Jan 2018, 19:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jochenvnltn



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Posts: 70
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
I do plan to write a book about assembly, but what I have in mind would have a much wider scope. But there are also plans of my further cooperation with the author of a recently published book, and what he writes may be better focused on things like modern x64 coding.


hi Tomasz

I remember Alexey Lyashko from an interesting blog he use to have.
It isn't been updated since 2014 i believe. Ill check out the link to the book! Smile
Eventually its really important for you to create a great work in book form like you did with creating Flat-assembler. Its like first inventing something amazing and then creating a user manual for it. Best of luck !!

Jochen


Last edited by jochenvnltn on 05 Jan 2018, 11:17; edited 1 time in total
Post 05 Jan 2018, 10:22
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Reply with quote
jochenvnltn



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Posts: 70
Ive ordered the book Mastering Assembly Programming by Alexey Lyashko.

ISBN 978-1-78728-748-8

Should arrive in a few days Smile
Post 05 Jan 2018, 11:05
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Reply with quote
praddo



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 10
jochenvnltn wrote:

I remember Alexey Lyashko from an interesting blog he use to have.


People do remember me - nice to know. The blog is still there, the problem is time. However, I plan to "re-activate" it soon.

BTW, did you like the book?
Post 16 Aug 2018, 19:48
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jochenvnltn



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Posts: 70
praddo wrote:
jochenvnltn wrote:

I remember Alexey Lyashko from an interesting blog he use to have.


People do remember me - nice to know. The blog is still there, the problem is time. However, I plan to "re-activate" it soon.

BTW, did you like the book?


Hello Alexey Lyashko Smile

So good to find you here!
Yes i liked the book very much.
I wish you would cover more about coding 64bit ASM with flat assembler.
Maybe that's a whole new book .. Smile If you would be so kind to write more about 64bit with flat assembler and write a new book, i would buy that in a second !
Post 17 Aug 2018, 03:39
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Reply with quote
praddo



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 10
jochenvnltn wrote:

So good to find you here!

Couldn't be otherwise. Have been using FASM since, approximately, 2004 (although, it took me another 7 years to join the forum Smile )
jochenvnltn wrote:

Yes i liked the book very much.
I wish you would cover more about coding 64bit ASM with flat assembler.
Maybe that's a whole new book .. Smile

Thanks! This is quite a motivating feedback. In fact I am considering an option of a new book, but it is hard to find a publisher. Assembly is not that popular these days (unfortunately)...
jochenvnltn wrote:

If you would be so kind to write more about 64bit with flat assembler and write a new book, i would buy that in a second !

That's a good idea in deed. There's, if I remember correctly, only one post that deals with 64-bit, the one on Linux kernel module. Will try to add some new content soon.
Post 17 Aug 2018, 13:41
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jochenvnltn



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Posts: 70
Quote:

Thanks! This is quite a motivating feedback. In fact I am considering an option of a new book, but it is hard to find a publisher.

I completely understand, its also a bit of a money & time investment and then see how it turns out. What you should do for the time being, is to create an E-book in PDF format and see how much interest is in it. (I would buy it). In that way you only have to invest some time and it might give you new ideas on how your next book it going to look like. Wink
Post 18 Aug 2018, 18:07
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Reply with quote
praddo



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 10
jochenvnltn wrote:

I completely understand, its also a bit of a money & time investment and then see how it turns out. What you should do for the time being, is to create an E-book in PDF format and see how much interest is in it. (I would buy it). In that way you only have to invest some time and it might give you new ideas on how your next book it going to look like. Wink


Money is not a problem - writing a PDF does not cost a thing, publishing a printed book is publisher's business. Time is the most precious resource and I am experiencing an outstanding lack thereof.

I already know what my next book is going to look like. Have been planning it long before I started the "Mastering Assembly Programming" project Smile

As to the interest - this is a gray area. Assembly has been discriminated for decades upon decades. Generations of script kiddies have been risen by now, who consider writing

10 PRINT "Hello, World"

as top skill (this is slightly exaggerated, of course, but only slightly). Each person willing to by a book on Assembly has at least 10 companions who would tell him/her not to, and not everyone has enough courage to say "f*ck off" to them Wink

Bottom line - I am writing a book on Assembly programming the way I believe it should be done. Putting all the essential information together and leaving all the scholar and all the "this will sell better" bullsh*t aside (no offense meant for scholars Smile ).

BTW, here's the draft of the first chapter http://syprog.blogspot.com/2018/08/idea-for-new-book-on-x86-assembly.html
Post 18 Aug 2018, 19:20
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DimonSoft



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 423
Location: Belarus
praddo wrote:
Generations of script kiddies have been risen by now, who consider writing

10 PRINT "Hello, World"

as top skill (this is slightly exaggerated, of course, but only slightly).

It has been more like
Code:
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Threading.Tasks;

namespace ConsoleApp1
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
                Console.WriteLine("Hello, world!");
                Console.ReadLine();
        }
    }
}    
for a while now. I guess, one line of code isn’t enough anymore to feel like a cool programmer Smile
Post 18 Aug 2018, 19:32
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
praddo



Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 10
DimonSoft wrote:
I guess, one line of code isn’t enough anymore to feel like a cool programmer Smile

Yes, right... There's no need to install BASIC and type anything. Install MSVS and use project wizard.

Well, anyway, I feel the guilt of taking the discussion off the topic. Regarding the 64-bit programming with FASM, there are plenty of good examples here http://flatassembler.net/examples.php

Also, there's enough basic documentation on the Internet (like description of calling conventions, etc.)
Post 18 Aug 2018, 20:22
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  


< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2018, Tomasz Grysztar.

Powered by rwasa.