flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > First gene therapy successful against human aging

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
really great and good news,

soon, we all could live forever Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.neuroscientistnews.com/research-news/first-gene-therapy-successful-against-human-aging

Quote:
American woman gets biologically younger after gene therapies -

In September 2015, then 44 year-old CEO of BioViva USA Inc. Elizabeth Parrish received two of her own company's experimental gene therapies: one to protect against loss of muscle mass with age, another to battle stem cell depletion responsible for diverse age-related diseases and infirmities.
Post 24 Apr 2016, 20:06
Coty

Coty
Actually it's just a cover up that shes a vampire Shocked

Post 26 Apr 2016, 04:20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
soon, we all could live forever
So evolution will come to a halt. No one is allowed to have children. Everyone is too scared to do anything even slightly dangerous (like going outside) for fear of irreversible physical damage to the body. As the climate and the environment changes the population can't adapt. Hmm, I'm not so sure it is a such great thing at all.
Post 26 Apr 2016, 04:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
Everyone is too scared to do anything even slightly dangerous (like going outside) for fear of irreversible physical damage to the body.
People can't stay indoors either because of radon:

http://sosradon.org/exposure-indoor-radon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon#Accumulation_in_buildings

So, what choice do we have? Rolling Eyes

Wink
Post 26 Apr 2016, 09:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
People can't stay indoors either because of radon
So they will have to live in a superposition of both inside and outside, but not actually exist in either. Or maybe what rocketsoft suggested and live inside a hollowed out (ultra pure and very thick) gold sphere to escape all radiation. But the problem is that that is not much of a life, stuck in a permanent tomb, might as well be dead for all the difference it would make. Hehe Razz
Post 26 Apr 2016, 09:42
Furs

Furs
revolution wrote:
So evolution will come to a halt. No one is allowed to have children. Everyone is too scared to do anything even slightly dangerous (like going outside) for fear of irreversible physical damage to the body. As the climate and the environment changes the population can't adapt. Hmm, I'm not so sure it is a such great thing at all.
Evolution came to a halt pretty much with modern medicine. And besides, evolution is a deprecated and obsolete method to improve ourselves at this point, it's way too slow, wasteful and inefficient.

We'll soon (soon meaning few decades) have augmentations in our bodies, anyway, or we'll be obsoleted by machines, so it can't be a bad thing at all. I think this is a great thing in fact.

Transhumanism is the future, not biological evolution.
Post 26 Apr 2016, 11:57
revolution

revolution
Furs wrote:
Evolution came to a halt pretty much with modern medicine. And besides, evolution is a deprecated and obsolete method to improve ourselves at this point, it's way too slow, wasteful and inefficient.
I would dispute all three of those claims, except for the "slow" sub-claim.
Post 26 Apr 2016, 12:15
Furs

Furs
Well, it is inefficient in the sense that mutations happen randomly.

When a specific "good" combination or resistance to some disease is found, it survives to pass it along further: but that does not help anyone else except their offspring. This is clearly inefficient. Obviously I'm excluding any sort of artificial intervention (medicine) and using purely evolution as method.

If you don't see how wasteful and inefficient it is to have people die, I guess can't argue about it Smile But remember how much knowledge is lost when people die, especially those of old age who also have a lot of experience in general. Evolution's answer is offspring, which you have to teach again from zero. Hence the "waste".
Post 26 Apr 2016, 12:23
revolution

revolution
I meant the three claims: Already halted, deprecated, and wasteful/inefficient.

The only one I don't disagree with is "slow" because I have no alternative to compare it with.
Post 26 Apr 2016, 12:32
Tyler

Tyler
I think it's quite questionable to assume that people would be better at directing their own "evolution" (or an analogue to it). Conscious design of complex systems doesn't tend to work out too well. Look at economic manipulation for an example. We've fucked that up unimaginably bad and most of us, even most of those at the forefront of the science, don't even realize it yet. We tend to think we're way smarter than we really are and tinker with knobs that shouldn't be tinkered with.

And evolution hasn't even come close to stopping. Natural selection may have lessened, but sexual selection is much more competitive than it used to be. The sexual market is many orders of magnitude larger than it has ever been in all of human history. And sexual attractiveness is a proxy for many real, important variables like productivity (through wealth) and dominance (status). To put it simply: In the past, it wasn't unusual for very pretty women to end up with ugly and relatively poor guys only because her choices were limited to her small geographic area. Now she would end up with a rich and attractive guy. This is the increase in sexual selection exemplified.
Post 26 Apr 2016, 19:28
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Coty wrote:
Actually it's just a cover up that shes a vampire Shocked

Laughing you sure? Laughing she looks quite pretty,
Post 26 Apr 2016, 21:39
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
revolution wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
soon, we all could live forever

i think changes will never come to halt, there always changes,

living longer and forever will certainly change most human decision regarding when to have children, they will having their first kid maybe at the age of 100, the next kid at the age of 500,

if wearing the 2050 version of oculus rift allow one to experience near 90% of actual experience, i don't see why we still need to going outside. (this whole thing that we experienced is like matrix movies, cgi ) Laughing

living longer allow more experienced human to solve this climate and environment issues more thoroughly,

for me, living longer is the best hack to human,
Post 26 Apr 2016, 21:58
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Bright flash of light marks incredible moment life begins when sperm meets egg
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/04/26/bright-flash-of-light-marks-incredible-moment-life-begins-when-s/

Quote:
the size of the flash can be used to determine the quality of the fertilised egg.

Post 26 Apr 2016, 22:02

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: