flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > sync changes only for a big text/binary file > 2GB

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi friends,
i was thinking something like this,

a file is created empty, zero-rise to 2 GB or 8 GB with the objective to store data with application coded add/edit/delete functions,

how is the the proper or best efficient method to sync this 8 GB data file across internet?

so any changes to master 8 GB would result in changes to another 8 GB located across pacific ocean.

how to track and update those binary/text changes only inside the 8 GB instead of whole 8 GB to sync?
Post 07 Jan 2014, 14:31
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 18:35; edited 1 time in total
Post 07 Jan 2014, 14:49
RIxRIpt

RIxRIpt
Haha D:

I guess it's stupid & obvious idea:
If you have enough RAM/Storage you can keep copy of this file. When the original file changes, find differences & their offsets within file, and send them.. (then update a copy which you keep to compare original with)
Post 07 Jan 2014, 16:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cod3b453

cod3b453
If you track/extract* the file deltas you can accumulate these changes into a transcript of operations that you can compress and send over the net, which can be a lot smaller than the data and be more efficient than searching for diffs.

*If you don't have such information you could also use divide and conquer hashing on decreasing regions or a suitably smart differencing engine on the file to find the different regions by exchange/compare the hashes from both sides.
Post 07 Jan 2014, 17:09
malpolud

malpolud
cod3b453 wrote:
*If you don't have such information you could also use divide and conquer hashing on decreasing regions or a suitably smart differencing engine on the file to find the different regions by exchange/compare the hashes from both sides.

+1

Post 07 Jan 2014, 17:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
What's 8 GB?

Ask console gamers. 10 to 50 GB of data to download.
Post 07 Jan 2014, 18:21
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous

Post 07 Jan 2014, 18:43
RIxRIpt

RIxRIpt
cod3b453 wrote:

As I know hashing requires all bytes to be involved in its calculation. Wouldn't it be faster to compare two files byte-by-byte Question
Post 07 Jan 2014, 20:37
cod3b453

cod3b453
RIxRIpt wrote:
cod3b453 wrote:

As I know hashing requires all bytes to be involved in its calculation. Wouldn't it be faster to compare two files byte-by-byte Question
Only if you're internet connection is as fast/faster than your disk in which case you simply copy the file.
Post 07 Jan 2014, 20:46
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous

Post 07 Jan 2014, 23:50
typedef

typedef
HaHaAnonymous wrote:
Quote:

10 to 50 GB of data to download.

And there are people who support the idea of online OS, all your personal data and programs on the "cloud servers". This is ridiculous.

This is making the life of NSA easier, nothing more.

In my opinion.

I don't know if you mean downloading 50 GB of data is ridiculous or cloud services.
Post 08 Jan 2014, 03:19
sid123

sid123
Quote:
And there are people who support the idea of online OS,

The entire concept is lame, Web OS which sounds utterly stupid, PC Gamers would hate
it till the end, as for coders they would not even use it since I bet that it will be a Linux
Rip off, In fact I'd rather use MS-DOS than using some crap WebOS.

Post 08 Jan 2014, 09:22
typedef

typedef
sid123 wrote:
Quote:
And there are people who support the idea of online OS,

The entire concept is lame, Web OS which sounds utterly stupid, PC Gamers would hate
it till the end, as for coders they would not even use it since I bet that it will be a Linux
Rip off, In fact I'd rather use MS-DOS than using some crap WebOS.

That's the only way to combat piracy I guess.

But think about this, you want to burn 10GB ISO onto a DVD. The ISO is on the server and the writer is on your PC. You'd still have to download it to come onto your disk. You wouldn't even know what they're doing with your data.

Like this : http://i.imgur.com/mvb6HsY.png
Post 08 Jan 2014, 11:50
sid123

sid123
@typedef
That's the reason I think WebOSes are lame, I think its easier and much more trustable
to use NotePad++ to edit a file on your HDD rather than using an online editor or something similar. And what's gonna happen to those 1,000,000,000,000+ programs that were written for
Windows/Linux/Mac? Are they going to be dead because of WebOSes? The answer is NO.
WebOSes are a fun project, but making them mainstream will be a nightmare.

Post 08 Jan 2014, 13:09

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: