flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Adobe is killing Creative Suite

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Quote:

Since its launch, Adobe’s Creative Cloud has clearly indicated where the company’s future lies. But no one expected the company to get rid of Creative Cloud’s predecessor, Creative Suite, quite so soon.

But that’s exactly what Adobe is doing. Not only is the creative services software shop closing down the Creative Suite version numbers and branding; it’s getting rid of the entire paradigm of old-school, cereal-box* software.

*Our own term for CD-based hard copies of software you’d buy in a store, where they were lined up like boxes of cereal, instead of downloading it online.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/06/rip-cs/
Post 07 May 2013, 08:32
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Is this going to be the future of commercial software from now on?

I hope not.

Cloud computing not a good thing IMO. Companies will want us to have dumb terminals (like an iPad) only and be forced to use their systems (and pay lots of money) for even the most simple of tasks.
Post 07 May 2013, 10:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
bandwidth getting bigger, faster, soon or later, everything fiber, > 1 GB per second transfer,
cloud is future,

where is iran or nk EMP,

live video, streaming, recording, more easy to lose everything inside your pc,

maybe software to limit bandwidth could be used by each application will exists, like a new firewall feature.

how is that ipad is dumb terminal?
Post 07 May 2013, 14:48
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
I think producing/delivering CDs with software is time consuming and leaves a footprint on the environment.
Downloading the stuff from web is much better way - you can buy and use software in few seconds time.
There should be some kind of web-based proof of purchase, so clients can re-download in case of a loss.
Post 07 May 2013, 14:56
TmX

TmX
AsmGuru62 wrote:
I think producing/delivering CDs with software is time consuming and leaves a footprint on the environment.
Downloading the stuff from web is much better way - you can buy and use software in few seconds time.
There should be some kind of web-based proof of purchase, so clients can re-download in case of a loss.

Cloud computing makes that even easier (from the user POV).
You don't need to install anything. Just fire the browser up, and you are ready to go.

And since you don't have access to the software physically, it makes software piracy harder.
We've seen many times MS Windows or Photoshop warez-ed, for example.

But wait. Actually this doesn't change piracy at all. Sure you cannot share the software.
But you can share your login, right? Now I'm confused Shocked
Post 07 May 2013, 15:27
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
Shared login may be detected (there is already a login in progress with these credentials) and rejected.
However, hackers will find a way around any such obstacle.
Software piracy ("easy steal") is in the human genome! Can't be changed. In a lot of years maybe.
Post 07 May 2013, 16:13
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i think the current issue inside programming world is,

efficiency, total 0 efficient on using processor power,
the main reason from what i see is too much layers to do a 1 + 1 = 2,

a solid programming environment is > 80% efficiency solving problem with X cycle of instructions. the min the best,

basically, 1 + 1 nowadays is a 10,000 you call me i call you instructions.

ipad or other handphone or any gadget are all powerful enough to do a lot of things, imo, but firmware / hardware info locking / force layers upon layers make them wasting precious cpu power to heat.
Post 07 May 2013, 18:33
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 20:54; edited 1 time in total
Post 07 May 2013, 21:12
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Post 11 May 2013, 10:15
typedef

typedef
I don't give a left or right nut about this cloud shit. It won't make any difference at all. Maybe on their side income-wise (but could be even worse since they'd have to invest into servers and all that cloud setup shit plus periodic checkups).

Either system has its own trade offs. And one common trade off that won't go away is Piracy.

I mean, Wireshark, hex editors and debuggers make a nice tool suite to crack this cloud shit and make your own custom server to mimic theirs for validation. But just cracking the software is enough.
Post 12 May 2013, 01:11
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Something that bothers me with service based software is the reliance of the continued existence of the the company the makes the software. If Adobe goes out of business your software becomes useless, not because of any technical reason, but because of business reasons.

Another problem with service based software is the requirement for online connection. Three main points arise from this. 1) There are many things that can go wrong in the connection to prevent you from using the software. And not having a connection, or having a slow connection, can make using the software extremely frustrating or impossible, and 2) The company tracking your usage for unknown reasons, and 3) Insecurity from storing all your work at a remote location that is not under your control.

And something to consider is the real reason Adobe is switching its revenue model. I am certain it is not so that they can make less money. They can claim all sorts of other irrelevant reasons but deep down the real reason will be to make more money.
Post 12 May 2013, 04:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lamer

lamer
hahah, rip adobe.
Post 17 May 2013, 23:24
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 20:31; edited 1 time in total
Post 18 May 2013, 00:37
edfed

edfed
cloud in computing is like:

imagine, a humanity where everybody should go to a specialized office to see, use or touch his personnal effects like:

you should go to the Official bathBuilding to just clean you up.
you should go to the Official restaurant just to pick a little biscuit like you did in the past with your box on your table
you should go to the Official Tables Center just to use a table, in the office only.
you should, of course, bring a password every 2 hours to continue to use your clothes otherwise, your clothes authomatically disconnect from you..

cloud computing, OK, but the cloud should be under my control, and then, the term cloud doesn't apply cause in fact, it is just a LAN.

then, something should be make (like ever) around the problem of data storage and acces:

include the sharing in a very low level in file systems. and file sharing should be encrypted. only a terminal with the correct key can consult distant datas and exploit them.

so, it still exists, of course, but as you can see, solutions proposed by the Official ITs is well far from the Free Internet concept.

First concept that is not Free at all on the web:
the XML based HTML.
Everything is html, always, and always again. but if you look closely on the architecture of IT systems, some don't deal at all with XML in data transferts and use special proprietary or free formats.

then, it include the finality of this reply:
lets build a modular network with every layer modifiable by the user.

for example, me, i don't want to use ftp to transfert datas to a remote server, but i'd prefer to use another personnal protocol.

here, the problem is:
cannot apply this concept to existing because, the existant is made of rocks and cannot be modularized at this level.

for example, firefox or any web browser will not understand anything that is not W3C compliant, then, if i decide to encode my website in anything else than xml crap... nobody will ever be able to use it...

we can define DTD to describe documents, use websites to describe norms, etc... but it is oriented to a style of design, and your freedom is to use it and nothing else.

the job can be a real cure to achieve, especially when dealing with developpers communities, you will mostlly get:

Your thing is useless, it still exists....

then, ok, let's W3C decide what is good for humanity, like we let decide any corporation...

you can replace technical details (company name, norm name, etc...) by any company or product.

example:
instead of W3C, say Adobe or monsanto
instead of XML, say Photoshop or GMO corn

etc...

have a nice day all Smile
Post 18 May 2013, 15:34
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
If cloud is not used -- it will die.
Free market!
Post 19 May 2013, 11:11

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: