flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Spammers are SSOOOO effing stupid!

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tyler

Tyler
Look at this:
Quote:

Attention: Prominent User of the Internet

How are you today? Hope all is well with you and your family?

This is from a total cash prize of Fourteen Million United States dollars, given to the first Seven (7) people who will be compensated in this worldwide internet programs. All participants were selected randomly from World Wide Web site Through computer draw system.

Due to your effort, using internet programs indoor and in your office, we want to compensate you and show our gratitude to you with the sum of Two Million United States Of America Dollars. We have authorized Mr. Jean Walters to assist you in getting your compensation funds across to you.

The name and contact address is as follows;

COMPENSATION ADMINISTRATOR
CONTACT AGENT: Mr. Jean Walters
EMAIL: j_watex101@administrativos.com
TELEPHONE: +234-808-897-4203

Hope to hear from you soon.

Dr. Adams H. Brown
Lottery Co-coordinator.
2010 WORLD INTERNET PROGRAMS

Who the hell actually responds to this crap? It reads like it's a Three (3) year old trying to bullshit me. These people must have an IQ < Seventy (70), seriously... How is it that they can hack servers, but yet EPIC-LY FAIL at simple English?
Post 19 Oct 2010, 21:37
Coty

Coty
It has been a while since I have seen a good attempt of a rip off email. I would say that people whome have never seen one before and don't know to be careful with the internet would fall for it.
Tyler wrote:
How is it that they can hack servers, but yet EPIC-LY FAIL at simple English?

You don't need to know good English to hack, or to program Wink
Post 19 Oct 2010, 22:01
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I used to think no one could be fooled by any spam at all, but one day, a person I know actually tried to know how to follow the steps to take her free ticket with all expenses paid to Orlando Florida, a spam that lasted a lot and it was even propagated via the messenger service (not MSN messenger, this one listens to messages from the net and shows them no matter where they came from).
Post 19 Oct 2010, 22:15
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
English is not a prerequisite for spamming or hacking. Don't be mistaken to assume a low IQ just because the English is poor.

Look at the phone number. Is that a predominately English speaking country?

And, yes, people do get taken in by this sort of stuff. A combination of greed and belief in authority makes people fall for it.

Anyhow, congrats on your $2Meg. I hope you buy Tomasz a nice prezzy.
Post 19 Oct 2010, 22:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
My first reaction seeing this thread: "F**k, SSSO again?"
Post 19 Oct 2010, 23:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
Quote:

You don't need to know good English to hack, or to program Wink

Ask any non-native English speaker how easy it is to learn to program without knowing English. People who know it as their native language tend to overlook the fact that it's the lingua franca for many industries.

Quote:

Don't be mistaken to assume a low IQ just because the English is poor.

You're right that I shouldn't link English proficiency to intelligence. I was wrong to do so, sorry to anyone I offended.

Quote:

Anyhow, congrats on your $2Meg. I hope you buy Tomasz a nice prezzy.

I have been meaning to make a donation...
Post 19 Oct 2010, 23:42
janequorzar

janequorzar
Quickly gets out of his rocking Chair off the front porch looking for his wallet. Crouched over and looking for his cane he sees his boy who is shaking his head.. "I keep investing in these.. I will get a big payout someday son.."

Like any other scam, people still fall for it.. they don't always have the ability to do the research themselves or they don't understand it when you do explain it to them.

I remember when I was real young, my Great Grandparents used to donate to this one "christian" church. When they "fell behind on their payments" the church would send them a Bill stating that if God does not receive this, that he would be angry with them and they would surely die. Well they did die.. but not at the time when they were finally convinced to stop the payments by my parents. It was years later when they did.. so they were half right .. Razz

Its why to this day I do not like Man Made Religion.
Post 21 Oct 2010, 22:25
rugxulo

rugxulo
janequorzar wrote:

Like any other scam, people still fall for it.. they don't always have the ability to do the research themselves or they don't understand it when you do explain it to them.

It's easy to forget that sometimes people are too trusting instead of cynical. Too bad that trust is misused. Not everybody is out to screw somebody over. And it's really annoying, honestly, having to password protect, lock, hide, etc. everything just because "someone somewhere" might do something.

Quote:

I remember when I was real young, my Great Grandparents used to donate to this one "christian" church. When they "fell behind on their payments" the church would send them a Bill stating that if God does not receive this, that he would be angry with them and they would surely die. Well they did die.. but not at the time when they were finally convinced to stop the payments by my parents. It was years later when they did.. so they were half right .. Razz

Everybody dies, good or bad. But death is not the end, so conduct on Earth "paves the way" for our future.

But tithing, yes always a contentious subject since hoarding is more fun? No seriously, I think a reasonable church only needs 5-10%. Anything more is indeed arbitrary and, dare I say, probably non-scriptural. (Besides, you can't buy your way into heaven either. It's not about money.)

Quote:

Its why to this day I do not like Man Made Religion.

One man sins. Other man (also a sinner, as we all are) doesn't like that particular sin, so he runs from God??? Sure, that logic makes perfect sense (not), esp. since it's not God's fault. (And yes, we're in Heap, so nyah, it's already off-topic.) Well, those in authority have a higher duty because of their faith. But even at their best, they are heavily imperfect. (Moses and David and Paul weren't perfect either, not by a long shot. But they were holy men, and they all suffered greatly.)

The simple truth is that people often are angry at the wrong person, blaming the innocent instead of the guilty. Don't blame God for man's (or Satan's) faults. One bad person or church does not mean the "universal" Church is bad just as one sin doesn't make man totally beyond repair. (But yes, your church sounds like it set a bad example. But I refrain from judging without all the facts.)

(book of) Job wrote:

Then the LORD addressed Job out of the storm and said: Gird up your loins now, like a man. I will question you, and you tell me the answers! Would you refuse to acknowledge my right? Would you condemn me that you may be justified?

Okay, obviously (?) I'm not implying that you are Job here (although that's no insult), but you get the idea. Man can't blame God, only the other way around. There is a big difference between even a pious man on Earth (still a sinner, though hopefully not as rampant about it) and God Himself, perfect in all ways, love incarnate.

http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/job/job40.htm
http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/job/job42.htm
Post 22 Oct 2010, 00:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
Quote:

Attention:

How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family?

You may not understand why this email came to you. We have been having a meeting for the passed 7 months which ended 2 days ago with the then secretary to the UNITED NATIONS.
This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of the world, the UNITED NATIONS have agreed to compensate them with the sum of USD $850,000 (Eight hundred and fifty thousand United State Dollars Only), This also includes every foreign contractors that may have not received their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction or international businesses that failed due to Government problems etc.

We found your name in our list and that is why we are contacting you, this has been agreed upon and have been signed.

You are advised to contact Mr. Bret Wilson, as he is our representative in Malaysia, contact him immediately for your payment of USD$850,000 (Eight hundred and fifty thousand United State Dollars Only)which way you need the fund to be delivered. So he will send it to you and you can clear it in any means of your choice.
You are advice to get in contact with Mr, Bret Wilson and provide him with below information.

Full Name:
Address:
Telephone Number:

Person to Contact Mr. Bret Wilson
Email: bretwilson@secretarias.com

Thanks and God bless you and your family, Hoping to hear from you as soon as you cash your Fund.

Making the world a better place.

Regards,
Mr. Ban Ki-Moon
UN Secretary General.

Would it be bad to email these guys back, and play along for a while? Of course I would lie about all info. What's the worst?
Post 26 Oct 2010, 02:21
revolution

revolution
I think it would not be bad, but it would be a waste of time IMO.

BTW: You seem to be doing very well. $2M+$850k Exclamation
Post 26 Oct 2010, 03:40
Tyler

Tyler
Quote:

[...] a waste of time [...]

The fun of it would be that I'm wasting their time AND making them think they've gotten another "bite" on their "fishing" scam.

But they couldn't backtrace my email to my location or sumthin rite?
Post 26 Oct 2010, 04:29
revolution

revolution
Tyler wrote:
But they couldn't backtrace my email to my location or sumthin rite?
They probably could. Most email servers forward the IP address also.

You would have to use an anonymising proxy or similar if you really wanted to mask your location.
Post 26 Oct 2010, 05:35

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: