flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > fasmcon 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

float ±*/ float = float
float ±*/ integer = float
integer ±*/ integer = integer
pointer ± integer = pointer
pointer - pointer = integer
pointer + pointer = unknown
pointer ± float = unknown
pointer */ any = unknown
Post 24 Aug 2009, 08:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ender

If you need those files concatenated and converted to other formats, resolutions, aspects and bitrates - just let me know somehow and I can prepare them.
Few words about FFT:
It was ment as a really short kind-of-an-intro to the subject - also because I was writting it really in a hurry.
PDF is going to be available soon on FASMCON website, but the present version contains mistakes and is (euphemism here) bit of unfinished. Of course there is plenty of other resources available on the net, probably far more professional, so you can also google for them.
Also, as Tom Tobias noted, there is a huge area for parallelizing an algorithm using SSE and/or cores.

Nothing more to say, for now Wink
Post 24 Aug 2009, 09:27
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

revolution wrote:
float ±*/ float = float
float ±*/ integer = float
integer ±*/ integer = integer
pointer ± integer = pointer
pointer - pointer = integer
pointer + pointer = unknown
pointer ± float = unknown
pointer */ any = unknown

As of fasm 1, pointers may have different bases, and only substracting pointers with the same base gives an absolute value. Also, pointer may just be an absolute value in some cases (in fact, it is highly desirable).

As for calculations on floats, I was actually thinking of the simple expression with floats in place of current float value, but nothing more.
Post 24 Aug 2009, 09:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Picnic

Feryno wrote:
xvid videos about 7,4 times smaller than mpg

Great job. Thanks Feryno.
Post 24 Aug 2009, 12:07
MazeGen

Another swimming bath fun:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/MazeGen/videos/1/

Viddler seemed to be nice video host, but it compressed the video too much. Do you know of any other host? We have these requirements:

• 300MB video files (this is rejected many popular services like Yahoo video, MySpace video, MetaCafe and similar)
  • 45 minutes video file (rejected by YouTube)
  • Possibility to embed the video on fasmcon web site and to watch the video on the host itself
  • XVID format

Google video was the best host, but it doesn't allow uploading now Sad

Last edited by MazeGen on 24 Aug 2009, 12:44; edited 1 time in total
Post 24 Aug 2009, 12:35
MazeGen

tom tobias wrote:
The beer party was good. I recognized most folks. However, I wasn't sure if f0dder was hiding behind a beard, or that was someone else....?

It was William Whistler, new attender from England Smile
Post 24 Aug 2009, 12:37
Madis731

Post 24 Aug 2009, 18:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
tom tobias

revolution wrote:
Indeed. I wonder how many people will think that it is for SSE and then ask why not 256 bit for AVX?

I finished watching Tomasz' talk, and I am confused, as usual, about a couple of points. The 129th bit is very mysterious to me, and leads me to ask, in the context of revolution's question, about a 257th bit?

Umm. Where is this going?

My idea is of course, utterly simplistic, overly simplified for sure. I see FASM I as an excellent first step. To me, FASM II, then, ought to reflect some change in the DESIGN of FASM I. As Tomasz noted in his talk, FASM I began life as a DOS product. FASM I has evolved into a very complex apparatus. Why should FASM II continue to be so complicated. Shouldn't FASM II rather be a "TOP-DOWN" implementation, instead of a "catch as catch can" piece of "bottom up" software?

Let me put it another way. Think of cpu architecture 20 years ago. Picture a motherboard, 4 huge megabytes of memory, and a Floating point coprocessor sharing this motherboard with a VESA local bus video coprocessor. How long did we wait to boot up, running Windows 3.1? Could we connect effortlessly to the internet?

Hardware improvements have encouraged so many changes in our lifestyle, but, yet, we have not made comparable changes, simplifications really, in our software development. When I look at the outline of FASM II, I guess it is looking more and more like a LISP compiler. Soon, it will do everything except cook the eggs for breakfast.

I believe that FASM II ought to begin with the instruction manual. Every part of it ought to be designed at the outset to fulfill one overriding goal: simplification. It ought to be a tool that allows effortless writing of assembly language programs for both 32 bit and 64 bit cpu's, including the forthcoming 256 bit AVX registers....and the 512 bit and 1024 bit registers to follow....

This is not intended in any way as a criticism of Tomasz' presentation, rather, it is simply my (perverted) notion of how an incompatible, new version of FASM ought to function....

Holy Cow, I realize now why I didn't recognize Lukasz. Gee, somebody help. Lukasz, you have gained 40 kg in five years. Too much desk work, not enough exercise!!! These computers are killing you.....

I just last week had my own blood levels of cholesterol measured: oops. too much goat cheese, not enough goat herder activities. I better not be giving anybody else too much advice about diet and exercise. Wow. My heart stopped beating three times last week, about three seconds each time. I better follow that advice I was about to give Lukasz, and go exercise myself!!!

Great FASMCON, much appreciated. I am now starting the download of the smaller sized presentations, should be a little faster!!!!

Smile
Post 24 Aug 2009, 20:00
HyperVista

I just got back from my trip with my boss. I haven't had a chance to check the videos out yet. I sure wish I could have been there.. From reading the thread, it looks like it was a good one!
Post 25 Aug 2009, 10:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
MazeGen

Hey Don (founder of fasmcon), I've been missing you there!

It was a great one, thanks to vid, thanks to big support of his parents (the home-made food was great), thanks to the location (in backwoods, with swimming bath, grill, ...), thanks to the fact that we spent all the time together in one pension. The overall feel was very relaxed.
Post 25 Aug 2009, 10:44
tom tobias

Thank you Madis, wonderful presentation. Absolutely excellent.

At the risk of boring everyone to tears, I will ask this question:

What would be the difference, in a real world application, let's say a sort algorithm, for example, between the overhead associated with interprocessor (and here I am referring, as you were, in your talk, to multi-core cpu's rather than multiple cpu's on, let's say arrays of cards in a rack, sharing a common backplane) division of effort in performing the aforementioned sort routine, versus a multi-threaded implementation of the same task, using a single cpu? I am wondering whether there is a method available to estimate (and then test to confirm) the overhead associated with multi processor computation, so that, depending upon the complexity of the task, one would know whether or not it was sensible to purchase a multicore cpu/motherboard, rather than the conventional (and inexpensive) quad core cpu with, for example, a sub-$100 motherboard, and 4 gigs RAM...
Post 25 Aug 2009, 14:14
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

tom tobias wrote:
I finished watching Tomasz' talk, and I am confused, as usual, about a couple of points. The 129th bit is very mysterious to me, and leads me to ask, in the context of revolution's question, about a 257th bit?

tom tobias, maybe this link can help explain the reason for the extra bit.

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=3844

As for 256bit, that was just tongue in cheek, but even 128bit is not really needed, even just a 65th (sign) bit would be enough IMO. However I think Tomasz just wants to play with extended precision coding. So that is why it would become 128bit, just because he can. Wink
Post 25 Aug 2009, 16:21
Kylearan

Hi,

I'm really interested in viewing some of the fasmcon2009 videos, but the links posted in this thread don't work - the tokk.biz site seems to be down for a couple of days now. Is there another site where they are stored, or does anyone know what happened to the site?

Thanks,

-Kylearan
Post 10 Sep 2009, 13:59
MazeGen

Hello Kylearan, I'm trying to edit the videos these days and upload them somewhere where they can be streamed. I hope I will finish this process soon.
Post 10 Sep 2009, 15:34
Kylearan

Hi,

MazeGen wrote:
Hello Kylearan, I'm trying to edit the videos these days and upload them somewhere where they can be streamed.

Great! I'll watch this space, then. Thank you! Smile

-Kylearan
Post 11 Sep 2009, 07:44
Feryno

Because my brother's server was gone (tokk.biz) so the videos hosted there.
I luckily found backup DVDs and they are still well readable after 6 years of burning them.

Attenders of FASM CON 2009 may refresh their memories and people who couldn't attend may see how did it appear 6 years ago. Leech data when they are available.
People brave enough may post here info that they owe copies (if videos are gone again).

The attached zip file contains links. ZIP is encrypted with password which is 11 chars long. Passwd is composed from ascii string and year of conference and begins:
FasmCon
Remember you have to append the year of conference (4 digits) after the above string.

Description: links to videos
passwd is 11 characters long, is composed from case sensitive ascii string and year of conference (4 digits)
the string part of passwd is
FasmCon

Download
Filename: links.zip
Filesize: 951 Bytes
Downloaded: 90 Time(s)

Post 10 Feb 2015, 10:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
thanks Feryno,
willing to host FASM CON 2015 / 16 in malaysia, flight ticket on your own =)
hotel room, conference room & FOOD!! & accommodation on me.
Post 10 Feb 2015, 12:06
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

All the recordings from fasmcon 2009 are finally available to watch directly on the website:
https://fasmcon.flatassembler.net/2009/index.html
Post 10 Mar 2017, 22:55

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: