flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > fasmcon 2009

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

fasmcon 2009
I'd like to invite everyone to our (supposedly) annual meeting of coders - this one may be considered special, because this year comes the 10th anniversary of flat assembler (the first self-assembling version was run on the May 4th, 1999).

This year we're going to meet in Myjava, Slovakia, and the main organizer is vid. He shall to post more details here soon.
Post 23 Mar 2009, 13:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

Meeting in my hometown Myjava will be somewhat problematic because it is about 100 Km from nearby big cities (Bratislava and Brno). Because of that, we will probably need to get together in one of those two cities (or both), and only then travel to Myjava all together.

That makes it quite harder to organise than when we have met at Krakow or Brno, but I think we can organize it for everyone to fit nicely. My idea for people who live far from Czech republic or Slovakia, would be to arrive on thursday or friday some week to either Bratislava or Brno (whichever suits you better), and then travel to Myjava on Friday. However Bratislava is preffered, because travel from Brno is somewhat more complicated. Airport in Wien is also very close to Bratislava (~50Km), and there is good traffic between Wien Airport and Bratislava.

Once in Myjava, plan is to accomodate everyone in a pension (guest house?) close to my house. Disadvantage is that it's somewhat further from town (hour walk, 10 minutes by car, poor public traffic), but we hopefully wouldn't need to travel to/from town a lot. Advantage is that it is very cheap (10 EUR a night), but still nice, spacey, and we will have it all for ourselves - so it will be sort of like high school trip Wink. We can also hold conference there.

Timeplan (for now, we can adjust it to individual needs):
- thursday to early friday - arrive to Bratislava (meet with me) or Brno (meet with MazeGen)
- friday midday - travel to Myjava
- friday evening - arrive to Myjava, get to pension, accomodate
- friday night - have some fun either at pension and our house, or go to town (whatever we decide)
- saturday - get up, prepare for conference without any hurries, hold the conference
- saturday evening and night - go see the town
- sunday - those who need to travel will go back to some bigger city with one of us, rest are welcomed to stay for longer and sightsee the surroundings, monuments, etc. Travelling back and staying for longer will be prepared individually.

First of all, we need to know list of people who plan to attend, so I can arrange travel with everyone individually. Conference is scheduled any time during august, so if there is any weekend during august on which you can't travel, let me know ASAP.

Last edited by vid on 24 Mar 2009, 11:53; edited 1 time in total
Post 23 Mar 2009, 13:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
buzzkill

Out of curiosity (since I won't be able to attend in person), what exactly goes on at a fasmcon? Will you be discussing future development of fasm, features to add, that sort of thing? If so, will there be some kind of a report posted about what was discussed/decided?
Post 23 Mar 2009, 15:12
abuashraf

Hi,

which specific date we are talking about here?
Post 23 Mar 2009, 15:39
vid
Verbosity in development

buzzkill wrote:
Out of curiosity (since I won't be able to attend in person), what exactly goes on at a fasmcon?

Conference itself is set of talks on various topic, whatever interesting people have to say. It is usually streamed online, and will probably be streamed too this time. Besides from that, partying, sightseeing, having fun, etc.

abuashraf wrote:
which specific date we are talking about here?

Sometime on august, exact date depends on when people will be able to come.
Post 23 Mar 2009, 15:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
MazeGen

To set up all the possible dates, it is 7th, or 14th, or 21st, or 28th of August.

I would prefer 21st or 28th.
Post 25 Mar 2009, 14:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HyperVista

the 21st or the 28th of August work for me as well.

buzzkill wrote:
what exactly goes on at a fasmcon?

you can go video from fasmcon 2006 here to see some historical fasmcon videos. This particular link is Tomasz's briefing on the history of fasm. If you look to the right on this link, you will see some other interesting fasmcon presentations from the past.
while the tecnical discussion part of fasmcon are great, the time spent together with fellow fasm members is invaluable and rewarding in the extreme. if any of you can make it by any possible means, i urge you to attend.
Post 26 Mar 2009, 14:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
buzzkill

Thanks for the link, HyperVista, unfortunately both audio and video quality make it hard for me to follow... Not saying this is due to the quality of the fasm videos themselves, I recently watched a BBC documentary on Google Video and that was also poor quality (and reducing the size or selecting "smooth video" doesn't make it much (if any) better). If you happen to have a link to a transcription (or anything in writing), I'd like to see that Smile
Post 26 Mar 2009, 18:56
MazeGen

buzzkill, the videos from 2006 are really a bit hard to follow, and none of the talks is available in alternative form. (It would be great to have subtitles for Tomasz' talk about fasm history at least...)

Fasmcon 2007 videos are being uploaded these days and almost a half of them are already online. They should be easier to follow. Few of the talks from 2007 are available also in a form of article. I'm working on fasmcon 2007 web page now (not online yet) so stay tuned, the articles will be crosslinked from there.

EDIT: forgot to add link to all videos from 2007 available at the moment:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=fasmcon+2007

Last edited by MazeGen on 26 Mar 2009, 21:21; edited 1 time in total
Post 26 Mar 2009, 19:11
buzzkill

Thanks MazeGen, that's good to hear. Look forward to visiting your webpage when it goes online.
Post 26 Mar 2009, 20:05
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Oh, very frustrating for me. August I already have plans for travel to various places. I guess I will be travelling when you are all enjoying ourselves. Sad

Once you pick the date I'll see where my schedule puts me, perhaps I can watch it live streaming from my hotel room.

Last edited by revolution on 13 Apr 2009, 11:52; edited 1 time in total
Post 27 Mar 2009, 10:32
MazeGen

That's too bad, revolution. We've been hoping to see you finally.

Hey, London sucks, change it to Bratislava Cool
Post 27 Mar 2009, 11:03
revolution

MazeGen wrote:
That's too bad, revolution. We've been hoping to see you finally.

Hehe, I guess it will have to wait another year.

MazeGen wrote:
Hey, London sucks, change it to Bratislava Cool

Really, I kinda like London. Although I've never had the chance to see Bratislava so perhaps my comparison is lacking all the info.

Hey, move you're little conference thingy to London in late July and I'll see ya all there.
Post 27 Mar 2009, 11:16
tom tobias

revolution wrote:
...Hey, move you're little conference thingy to London in late July and I'll see ya all there.

First of all, we know that revolution generally submits extraordinarily lucid, pertinant, and brilliant posts to the FASM forum, however, this one, was obviously rushed, and not well thought out, as we can discern from the grammatical error with "you're", should be "your". So, with that aspect of a hurried response in mind, let us examine his underlying idea more carefully.

Two: "thingy". Ok, now this may provoke a firestorm of protest from those of the current generation, versus those of us antiquarians, still lost in the dark ages, but there is no such word as "thingy". In general, adding a "y" on the end of a word, is done among friends, (and revolution is surely that,) as a gesture of friendliness. Thus, when I miss, as I invariably do, a shot at the hoop, my colleagues reassure me by saying: ' no matter, "tommy", don't worry about it...'. My opponents just smile! The addition of "y" on the end of my name, is done as a sort of subconscious attempt to let the teammate know that his errant shot was not the catastrophe, that he imagined....

However, though it is, as the previous illustration revealed, an intimate sign of friendliness, to add a "y" to the end of a word, this practice also conveys, and in this instance surely denotes, a slightly different impression, namely, a tinge of disdain, an attitude, in short, characterized by diffidence, or in this case, disrespect.

The FASM conference, however, is not something to be disrespected. Yes, it has been, and may continue to be somewhat less highly structured than other technical conferences. Yes, it has little if any supervisory overview, delimiting the presentations. Nevertheless, despite an almost impromptou characteristic, it remains highly informative, friendly, and intellectually superior to most other conferences of similar magnitude and scale, in my four decades of experience attending technical conferences, on four continents. I would submit, that in that context, i.e. in the framework of comparing FASM conference to other technical conferences, it is certainly superior to the median. That's not to say that FASM conference could not be improved, and perhaps it is this latter point that led revolution to write "thingy" in an ostensibly deprecating fashion. Our FASM conference is not a grand reunion of half the intelligentsia on planet earth, but, for its size, and age, it is remarkably productive. It is, in short, not a "thingy", but perhaps, a "thinky".

With regard to London as an alternative venue, I would vote against it, not that I have a vote, mind you. London is expensive, compared with Slovakia, and farther to travel for 80% of the FASM forum participants. For those of us compelled to fly from Asia, Africa, or North/South America, it matters not a whit whether we fly to Brno or London. For those of central Europe, including Russia, and China, train travel makes Slovakia a much easier destination than London. For those from India, Australia, and Africa, I agree that London is easier, for there are direct flights from Mombassa, Mumbai, and Melbourne to London. Still, one imagines that a conference of twenty people, assuming that is the size of FASM 2009, with half of the participants from the middle of Europe, would profit most from a conference held somewhere in central Europe.

Much as I prefer Myjava to London, I acknowledge that, in my opinion, the best locale for the conference is Krakow. I do agree though, that since it has already been held in Krakow, therefore, it should be held this year in another city. All things being equal, and they are not, I would prefer to attend the FASM conference in Krakow--it is a marvelous city, very convenient, easy access to trains, not too expensive, and really, the heart of the FASM universe. Since it will be held in Myjava this year, we should focus on the nature of the presentations, rather than bemoaning the locale choice. Myjava will be also interesting, historical, and friendly.
Smile
Post 27 Mar 2009, 17:47
Borsuc

ROFLMAO tom Laughing

Now I can't find my keyboard-like thingy... Razz
Post 27 Mar 2009, 20:48
revolution

I should have added a little smiley (or evily) to the end of my sentence. tom tobias: you are slipping, you also missed the "ya all" in there. Razz

I am also curious what would happen if one time it is organised for somewhere touristy like Hawaii or The Bahamas. I think the idea of a holiday far away (for most) from their home combined with the conference could be a success.
Post 28 Mar 2009, 02:40
Feryno

Count with me guys, I would like to come to Myjava.
Currently it seems that my wife and both children will come also. My wife agreed alredy, our children are too small to protest yet and they will be surely happy at every peaceful place on the Earth.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 12:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

Quote:

I am also curious what would happen if one time it is organised for somewhere touristy like Hawaii or The Bahamas.

I have offered to held the conference in Cartagena (in the caribbean coast). I understand that this is a long trip for most participants but as you point out, it fits as a nice holiday.

The orgainzation for Myjava seems to be pretty advanced so the caribbean is going to wait this year also...
Post 30 Mar 2009, 15:02
vid
Verbosity in development

pelaillo: First of all, it is expensive trip for most participants, "long" wouldn't be as big problem. But don't worry, your offer is remembered Twisted Evil
Post 30 Mar 2009, 22:00
hopcode

Finally, good news !
In August, Myjava is ok for
14th OK
28th OK
21st i could only one day

I like it...my 1st Fasmcosmocon.I will be all ears to you to learn from you.This is a really important Conference for me. I am sure of this:

Quote:

...almost impromptou characteristic,it remains highly informative, friendly,
and intellectually superior to most other conferences of similar magnitude and scale,...

I state it from the hi-tech know-how of
the people attending it. Thank you to all organizer, and especially to vid

Regards
hopcode [mrk]

p.s.
Is a reservetion needed ?
or what ?
When ~ would be fixed the date ?
Post 02 Apr 2009, 18:18

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: