flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > Petabox and the death of NTFS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

AsmGuru62 wrote:
On the other hand (more optimistic view) -- storage like that allows to create some huge programs, like AI.
We can build Commander Data now!
Storage is one thing, but processing it in a timely manner is entirely another matter. Commander Data (of Star Trek fame) would require much more than a simple storage mechanism IMO.
Post 21 Jun 2013, 11:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution in Feb 2009 wrote:
Remember these words: We will have commodity petabox-capable computers available cheaply to the public in the future (i.e. they will be a standard PC for that era). I'm predicting 10 years.
Nope. Didn't happen revolution. You failed!

Crying or Very sad

The largest drive I've seen is 60TB. It was an SSD. Only 1/16th of the requirement.
Post 16 Feb 2019, 19:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DimonSoft

Data capacity requirements are naturally limited by the amount of information people can process/produce. The only way to ever reach petabyte-sized storage as commonly used devices is to move on with increasing video characteristics crazyness: from 4k to 8k, then 16k, 32k, let’s even switch to 64m! Who cares noone would tell the difference and the videos have these pixels by plain resizing of smaller sources. Oh, and we can proceed with “Noone cares about megabytes anymore” and “Just use the framework which uses another three frameworks which…” philosophy in software engineering: might make the goal reachable too.
Post 16 Feb 2019, 19:28
Furs

revolution wrote:
revolution in Feb 2009 wrote:
Remember these words: We will have commodity petabox-capable computers available cheaply to the public in the future (i.e. they will be a standard PC for that era). I'm predicting 10 years.
Nope. Didn't happen revolution. You failed!

Crying or Very sad

The largest drive I've seen is 60TB. It was an SSD. Only 1/16th of the requirement.
And nowhere near "standard PC". Wink
Post 16 Feb 2019, 19:36
revolution

Video is one obvious category of large data requirements. But higher resolutions are pointless due the the human eye limitations. The same with more colour depth, more is just wasted unnoticeable data. But where the extra data comes from is more channels. Surveillance cameras are proliferating everywhere, so where is all that data stored?
Post 16 Feb 2019, 19:38
revolution

Furs wrote:
revolution wrote:
And nowhere near "standard PC". Wink
Yeah. revolution failed miserably. What a loser.
Post 16 Feb 2019, 19:39
revolution

Post 16 Feb 2019, 19:45
DimonSoft

revolution wrote:
Video is one obvious category of large data requirements. But higher resolutions are pointless due the the human eye limitations. The same with more colour depth, more is just wasted unnoticeable data. But where the extra data comes from is more channels. Surveillance cameras are proliferating everywhere, so where is all that data stored?

Speaking about colour depth… I guess, at some point in time we might get RGBA formats with 8 bytes/pixel. Just for simpler handling. That would be pointless, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
Post 16 Feb 2019, 20:11
revolution

DimonSoft wrote:
Speaking about colour depth… I guess, at some point in time we might get RGBA formats with 8 bytes/pixel. Just for simpler handling. That would be pointless, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
16-bits per plane? I suppose some high end video production would use that to get more dynamic range for mixing and things. So, yeah, why not. If the storage is available.
Post 16 Feb 2019, 20:20
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
crazy 60TB and 100TB, they are huge, overall, the pricing is falling down,
Post 17 Feb 2019, 06:50
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
crazy 60TB and 100TB, they are huge,
It's all relative. Not so long ago 100GB was considered huge. And not much more so long ago 100MB was considered huge.
sleepsleep wrote:
overall, the pricing is falling down,
Yes. Soon they will be free with each packet of cereal.
Post 17 Feb 2019, 14:58
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
ya, cereal packet with iot hard disk 100gb, came with mic and camera, 5g connection, plus lite ai sensors to detect if you are home or not,

unless ww3 happened, the incoming 10 years, abundant of iot, no more privacy, less secrets, perhaps this is better to solve more problems,

windows is going to know when you need sex and send you a companion,

send you a lawyer when you need divorce,

auto deduct your bank account because it decided you need a car,

financial planning is a joke compare today,

auto purchase and order your breakfast, lunch and dinner,

auto send you to trip in Malaysia,

managed by ai might be a good thing, Laughing
Post 17 Feb 2019, 15:54
guignol

revolution wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
why, indeed, and with all the evidence about you for Judgement Day, neatly prepared.
You will not even have a need to spend your breath on singlest question.
Post 18 Feb 2019, 06:47
ManOfSteel

revolution wrote:
Surveillance cameras are proliferating everywhere, so where is all that data stored?

Most of the time the quality is quite poor. It also depends on whether it's indoors or outdoors and how much traffic you have to record. Even if you have a dozen cameras or more, with the help of motion sensors you can still manage to squeeze months worth of data on a bunch of regular not-so-big disks.
Post 18 Feb 2019, 19:32
Furs

revolution wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
crazy 60TB and 100TB, they are huge,
It's all relative. Not so long ago 100GB was considered huge. And not much more so long ago 100MB was considered huge.
100GB is still absolutely huge to me. Which is a good thing since I can easily archive my stuff on a bunch of M-DISCs which are not as unsafe as SSDs or HDDs (imagine an EMP shockwave).

revolution wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
If you notice, the price started to go down less and less. I guess we'll reach a plateau soon. There's only so much you can fit in a given area of space without leaking data using current SSD tech.

Stacking vertically may increase storage but it also increases production costs at the same time, because stuff doesn't get smaller, you just stack more. So not much potential to get cheaper.

The reason it went down so much until around 10 years ago when you made the prediction, is because it went down in size and in two dimensions. In contrast, stacking vertically doesn't reduce the vertical size and even if it did, it's only one dimension, so could have expected a linear improvement at best.

But without reducing size, production costs tend to go up as you add more layers. It's like using two SSDs in RAID-0: sure you have double storage but also double the cost.

(e.g. instead of 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB... we'd get 2 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB, 8 GB...)
Post 18 Feb 2019, 21:09
sleepsleep

if they manage to advance 5g agenda, then all iot will just cloud storage linked, each cereal packet became cloud usb drive, Laughing

hope to see all these in our lifetime, Smile
Post 19 Feb 2019, 18:39
DimonSoft

And that is what will be yet another weakness of human civilization. Clouds are evil since the leaky abstraction pretends there’s always a good enough internet connection, not even talking about the fact that the connection is not direct.
Post 20 Feb 2019, 09:41
sleepsleep

DimonSoft wrote:
And that is what will be yet another weakness of human civilization. Clouds are evil since the leaky abstraction pretends there’s always a good enough internet connection, not even talking about the fact that the connection is not direct.

but isn't the idea of cloud is based on how human mind works?
Post 20 Feb 2019, 10:48
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
but isn't the idea of cloud is based on how human mind works?
The "cloud" is just a collection of computers controlled by some corp that logs and records everything you do. I don't see any relationship to the human mind.
Post 20 Feb 2019, 10:51
sleepsleep

afaik, cloud equal storage that allow devices to get connected, get and set, through networking, and there are functionality like this in human brain,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
Quote:

Cloud computing makes computer system resources, especially storage and computing power, available on demand without direct active management by the user. The term is generally used to describe data centers available to many users over the Internet. Large clouds, predominant today, often have functions distributed over multiple locations from central servers.
Post 20 Feb 2019, 11:21

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: