flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > The Compiler Returns! (Vs The mummy returns)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

Quote:
Not necessarily... coding for multi-cpu (ie., SMP or dual-core or whatever x86) isn't too bad, you do need to be careful about synchronizing access to global data structures, and other things.

Shouldn't be too bad then.

Quote:
It does become relatively bitchy, or so I've heard, for wacky architectures like the playstation - all three of them have been pretty different from what other consoles look like. Read up on the PS3, it sounds pretty damn interesting. Will take a while before developers learn how to harness all that power, though.

Which is why they should slow down and stop comming up with new consoles.

Quote:
Dynamic (heap) allocation is a lot slower than "sub esp, xx" though. And each thread will always have at least 4kb stack, so you might as well use the stack for smallish allocations.

True. I don't expect (even in file transfer) to send stuff over 3kb. I estimate 3kb every send with the exception of text. Though, i plan to have mic-support available to be like teamspeak. I just need to figure out how to get global keypresses for dealing with apps in other windows, which really shouldn't be too hard.

Quote:
MadWizard's stuff isn't junk - it's some of the better stuff available on winsock.

Usually when icall something junk i'm not insulting it. It's just a colorful pronounish thing of mine. If i were insulting it, i'd call it a waste, trash, or something else. Hence when i said, "i have alot of junk to research." Though i need another source other than his.

Quote:
Threads won't help you too much wrt. glitches of that kind... you still need a synchroneous message-pump, and it's glitches in message processing that usually locks up applications.

Well, i pretty much plan on handling everything in the same buffer, so if a glitch happens because a conflicting ui (i plan on making it into a DLL with a default UI so that people can impliment it into their games and such instead of hooking the dang thing like xfire does), seperate windows would help. All i have to do is sync it enough so it all gets on time for reach window, and send it into that window's buffer area then deencrypt it then send it to the window with the right formatting.
Post 15 Jun 2007, 00:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

kohlrak wrote:

f0dder wrote:

It does become relatively bitchy, or so I've heard, for wacky architectures like the playstation - all three of them have been pretty different from what other consoles look like. Read up on the PS3, it sounds pretty damn interesting. Will take a while before developers learn how to harness all that power, though.

Which is why they should slow down and stop comming up with new consoles.

IMHO the rate at which the consoles are released makes sense. Iirc some of the last games released for the original playstation got about 10% more juice out of it than sony had expected was possible.

Then a new console arrives, first games are somewhat mediocre (apart from a few launch titles, that aren't always as super as they're hyped up to be anyway), but titles are still released for the old-gen consoles for a while.

kohlrak wrote:

True. I don't expect (even in file transfer) to send stuff over 3kb. I estimate 3kb every send with the exception of text. Though, i plan to have mic-support available to be like teamspeak. I just need to figure out how to get global keypresses for dealing with apps in other windows, which really shouldn't be too hard.

File transfers should be done in chunks anyway, so it doesn't matter too much whether you're going to send 3k or 10gb - you need to do it buffered. Optimal buffer size depends on network speed etc. yadda yadda, but for an IM client I'd say a smallish buffer on the stack would be just fine. Unless you expect it to be used on 100+ mbit connections for warez Razz

kohlrak wrote:

Usually when icall something junk i'm not insulting it. It's just a colorful pronounish thing of mine. If i were insulting it, i'd call it a waste, trash, or something else. Hence when i said, "i have alot of junk to research." Though i need another source other than his.

Ah, okay. That works fine irl where you can watch face expressions and listen to voice intonation, be a bit careful with it on teh intarweb though Smile

A classic reosource is beej's socket guide, it's also pretty "classic" in being relatively basic. There's also various demonstrations of the more advanced topics like I/O Completion Ports at www.codeproject.com ... there's plenty of material out there.
Post 15 Jun 2007, 10:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

Quote:
Ah, okay. That works fine irl where you can watch face expressions and listen to voice intonation, be a bit careful with it on teh intarweb though

I have this bad habit of typing how i talk.

Quote:
A classic reosource is beej's socket guide, it's also pretty "classic" in being relatively basic. There's also various demonstrations of the more advanced topics like I/O Completion Ports at www.codeproject.com ... there's plenty of material out there.

Ah, why thank you.

Quote:
Then a new console arrives, first games are somewhat mediocre (apart from a few launch titles, that aren't always as super as they're hyped up to be anyway), but titles are still released for the old-gen consoles for a while.

Some of those consoles can handle more than most PCs. Or, at least it seems that way. I really like the sequenced format that they use in the commercial games on the DS. I'm sure some people have come up with formats like that before, but they need something like that for web-browsers so sites with music can transfer the music and a higher quality without all the wait time. Midi just dosn't cut it anymore.
Post 15 Jun 2007, 18:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

Music on websites = no go. For flash games, sure, but else, no. I hate myspace.

Some of the consoles are very powerful yes, especially for specialized tasks. Just like the new GeForce8800 series is a pretty powerful device. I'd still daresay a fast x86 PC is still the better/faster platform for general-purpose stuff.
Post 15 Jun 2007, 21:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

Quote:
I hate myspace.

As do i, as it clearly says on my myspace profile. But since i'm a teenager you get alot of crap in my country if you don't have one.

Quote:
Some of the consoles are very powerful yes, especially for specialized tasks. Just like the new GeForce8800 series is a pretty powerful device. I'd still daresay a fast x86 PC is still the better/faster platform for general-purpose stuff.

General purpose, but for games development, it's a different story.
Post 15 Jun 2007, 22:23

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: