flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > Possible Location for Next fasm Technical Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

please keep anything anti/religious out of this topic, and discuss it in new topic Wink

tom: very interesting idea, i am eager to hear the presentation on this topic. keeping tables of commonly used operations in cheap ROM might be useful and faster...
Post 11 Jun 2007, 23:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tom tobias

vid wrote:
...keeping tables of commonly used operations in cheap ROM might be useful and faster...
nope. not faster. but, by having MANY cpus, a program overall could be faster, though individual components of the task may be MUCH slower than with an Intel designed cpu.
No.
NOT "commonly used". NO.

ALL arithmetic, ALL calculus, the whole of Fourier, Leibniz, Gauss, Newton, EVERYTHING in memory. Remember those BOOKS, from a few decades ago, before "Maple", listing the solution to all those calculus formulae? That's what this is, EVERY possible computation, for every value, probably about 300 megabytes, i.e. trivial.
Smile
Post 11 Jun 2007, 23:43
HyperVista

thanks for the clarification tom. i understand and sympathize with your aversion to dogma.

i took revolution at his word when he said:
revolution wrote:
I feel uneasy around people that are drinking. Too many bad experiences has made me avoid it all.

i did not assign dogma on his part, merely a preference based on previous bad experinece (i can relate to that too). i don't believe he was tying to impose his beliefs or preferences on us.

enough of that ..... i agree with your earlier post recommending that we come to a decision soon about the city.... airfares climb the closer to the date you book, not to mention all the reasons you provided, logistics, etc. perhaps we should post a separate "poll" type thread asking which city is preferred and ask them to confirm their intention to participate in the text below the poll. that way we can get a rough head count and begin looking for and negotiating reasonable room rates for a group.
Post 12 Jun 2007, 00:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

allright, so candidates are Helsinki, Praha, or Brno. Please post your opinions on which suits you best...
Post 12 Jun 2007, 02:03
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HyperVista

Brno - because I've never been there and it looks like the right kind and right size of city. Brno Wikipedia
Post 12 Jun 2007, 02:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
MazeGen

Heh, Brno? Smile So my suggestion is:

Helsinki, Prag, Brno, Bratislava

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratislava

vid tell you that it is not much nice city, but I (and my Czech friends) think the opposite. It is not as famous as Prag, but still very interesting, more interesting than Brno.

Brno is nice and small, similar to Kraków, maybe a bit uglier. It doesn't have Kraków's nice green belt around the downtown. It doesn't have Kraków's beatiful and picturesque main square. And I'm not good guide to the city because of my spoken english (well, I could take my girlfriend with us as an english guide Smile).

If it would be in Brno, I would do my best to arrange some conference room. Prag is 200 km far from here and I have no friends there so it would be more difficult for me to arrange something personally there.
Post 12 Jun 2007, 06:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DustWolf

On revolution's statement: I agree. Tho me expressing my oppinion is kinda pointless... I think it is possible to tell if a person has been drinking from the way they behave from the first glass of beer on. People become a little bit disconnected from what is being talked about and drunk or not, that is not something you'd enjoy sticking around to, if your intention is to make an intelligent and productive discussion on something technical, that really usually requires more thought, focus and attention than even people who hadn't had anything have. Especially if there are more people there, the debate just steers off into something you never intended, because under alchocol people loose that touch in their respect towards other people's unique knowledge and experience. Even if very slight, it still makes the whole thing seem pointless to anyone sober there.

And on tom's statement on CPUs: I agree making a new CPU should be interesting. There are many mistakes in the current architectures and I am sure that the current implementations aren't the only possible ones. I have been experimenting a bit with single-step-pipeline processor shematics and have enjoyed what they ended up to be. On more down-to-earth designs I have been looking into programable circuit chips and card-based memory... the technology exists and you could technically get 50 of those programmable chips + some memory chips for a relatively cheap price, make some protoboard PCI cards, programm your programmable circuits and make a high-preformance parallel-processing computer out of your desktop. Quite doable.
Post 12 Jun 2007, 09:58
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

tom tobias wrote:
Revolution: are you opposed to ALL pharmacologic agents, or only the depressants, such as midazolam and alcohol.....
Do you drink coffee????
How about Tea????
Hi tom, actually for alcohol, it is mostly just a metaphor for the general "something that causes significantly less control over one's actions". I do drink tea and also sodas. As HyperVista correctly mentioned it is not a religious thing, it is just a personal preference. I don't make any sort of stand or complaint about it, I just simply find it more comfortable to find another activity away from people that are drinking. If the first day is the "heaviest" day then it is no problem I can do my own thing and join in at a later day. Although, with the date in August it clashes precisely with Penang so I think this one I have to sit out Sad

Tom, your comment on CPU architecture is very interesting, I am curious to learn your opinion on the ARM. Personally I like it, one instruction can do 2 and maybe 3 useful things in one cycle. I think you would like the idea of using "mov reg,0", in ARM that has no penalty (or advantage) over "eor reg,reg,reg".

Anyhow, sorry to post two paragraphs off topic, although the first has some relevance. On topic, I have never been to any part of Europe except England (is England part of Europe?) and I would be very keen to see some of it. If the dates and projects can mesh together well next year then definitely I am keen.
Post 12 Jun 2007, 13:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kake_zinger

Having been to both I'd vote Tallinn over Helsinki, much more interesting from a touristy viewpoint: nice old town, much cheaper prices, great availability of hotels, very wide range of food and drink options, is part of EU mainland which means you can even take an Eurolines bus from central Europe or your own car. In my opinion Helsinki is stiff, cold and expensive compared to its southern sister.

However I don't think there are that many direct international flights arriving on their barn-sized airport, so anyone taking the plane from outside of Europe would have to change somewhere. Just joking about the barn, don't take offense Madis Smile
Post 12 Jun 2007, 18:38
Madis731

Smile We'll be expanding our airport soon, but the problem isn't its size. AirForce 1 visited this I remember and some jumbos have landed. Anyway, Tallinn really is cheaper but in the future there has been some talk about Talsingi (Tallinn+Helsingi with a 'g' in Estonian).

I can look for some conference places when Tallinn wins, but I will also attend when other cities win.
Post 14 Jun 2007, 14:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: