flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > movie thread (no ext/int politic plez)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

A low-budget sci-fi movie about alien abduction:

Abduct (2016)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3449588/

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XElv-DyNJU

Fans of the TV series "The X-Files" would find this film particularly interesting.

Wink
Post 19 Aug 2017, 01:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

Another nice Netflix movie:

What Happened to Monday (2017)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1536537/

I wish that the film placed more emphasis on the implications of the one-child policy, especially from a social or political standpoint.

Wink
Post 22 Aug 2017, 02:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

A low-budget "thriller" that actually sounds like a comedy:

Dave Made a Maze (2017)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4457344/

Wink
Post 22 Aug 2017, 09:30
YONG

An awesome crime/mystery movie:

Wind River (2017)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5362988/

Wink
Post 23 Aug 2017, 10:34
YONG

A relatively-low-budget action drama starring Antonio Banderas and Ben Kingsley:

Security (2017)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3501112/

Wink
Post 25 Aug 2017, 06:55
YONG

A surprisingly-entertaining animation that carries a deeply-philosophical message:

Batman and Harley Quinn (2017)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6556890/

Review
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/16/batman-and-harley-quinn-review

Wink
Post 26 Aug 2017, 02:14
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
this is the best film i watched so far, lately,

Quote:

Alien: Covenant is a 2017 science fiction horror film directed by Ridley Scott, and written by John Logan and Dante Harper, with a story by Michael Green and Jack Paglen. The film is a sequel to the 2012 film Prometheus, the second installment in the Alien prequel series and the sixth installment overall in the Alien film series, as well as the third directed by Scott.

superb, lots of questions, lots of pondering,
excellent movie!
Post 26 Aug 2017, 23:22
YONG

Watched Alien: Covenant a couple of months ago.

Most fans like the movie. But I would say that the storyline lacks originality, as it actually sounds very similar to Aliens (1986) in a number of aspects.

BTW, the film, once again, shows that self-learning robots can be very dangerous!

Wink
Post 27 Aug 2017, 05:10
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
maybe i should get aliens 1986, Wink

YONG wrote:
BTW, the film, once again, shows that self-learning robots can be very dangerous!

or making robots with exact physical till the point you hardly differentiate them is dangerous? Laughing
Post 27 Aug 2017, 08:45
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
or making robots with exact physical till the point you hardly differentiate them is dangerous? Laughing

Not just the external appearance. What is truly dangerous is the robot's ambition -- to create the ultimate life-form!

Wink
Post 27 Aug 2017, 09:22
Furs

YONG wrote:
Not just the external appearance. What is truly dangerous is the robot's ambition -- to create the ultimate life-form!

I haven't watched the movie, but if it's about "creating" and not "replacing" then I don't see the issue. I guess we should stop developing new technology also, since wanting to create an ultimate tech for X subject is bad and dangerous. Isn't Aliens set in the Universe with Predators etc anyway? An AI would have the best shot at dominating the galaxy against them. Razz
Post 27 Aug 2017, 15:35
sleepsleep

i have a little bit of questions,

is it okay for human to seek perfection in creation / design etc input/process/output?

or it suddenly becomes dangerous for non-human to seek what we seek? perfection?

eg, human can learn, in fact we are compulsory by government i guess, to learn, to school and etc,

and most of us, after completed our education, start working in our field or different field, and at the same time init our self-learning journey too,

so, human self-learning ~ not dangerous, but machine self-learning equal dangerous?
Post 27 Aug 2017, 19:15
YONG

Furs wrote:
... if it's about "creating" and not "replacing" then I don't see the issue.

David, the robot, creates the ultimate life-form, the aliens, to wipe out all non-plant creatures. To "him", "he" is creating a whole new world. How magnificent that is!

Wink
Post 28 Aug 2017, 01:49
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
so, human self-learning ~ not dangerous, but machine self-learning equal dangerous?

Let me apply sleepsleep's logic to something else:

Normal cells grow ~ not dangerous, but cancer cells grow ~ dangerous? Yes!

What's the big deal of cancer cells? They grow UNCONTROLLABLY!

What is truly dangerous is NOT self-learning itself; what is truly dangerous is the RATE at which AIs / self-learning machines learn and evolve.

Wink
Post 28 Aug 2017, 02:04
sleepsleep

i see you are cooking two different thing into one thing, Wink

now, just like a knife, one could use it to kill people, or one could use it as a mechanism to ease and complete his/her job, intention, desire,

emerging ai technology, possibly ai conscious, will cause impact to human, no doubt about this,

but there will be positive sides of this, more breakthrough in human knowledge, (take go for example, new way of playing)

and all these breakthrough will certainly help human to live forever and solve our finite lifetime bug,

eg, without ai, we might need 1 thousand years more to find cure for all diseases, and with ai, we could probably cure all diseases in 20 years,

personally, i don't think learning should be controlled, but learning without harming others should be enforced,

the rate of ai and self-learning machines are probably the bless that could help human live forever and solve our initial bugs,
Post 28 Aug 2017, 04:43
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
emerging ai technology, possibly ai conscious, will cause impact to human, no doubt about this

Yeah, the human race will be wiped out. No doubt about this, too.

Wink
Post 28 Aug 2017, 04:57
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
emerging ai technology ... there will be positive sides of this, more breakthrough in human knowledge

Let me make one thing absolutely clear. I am NOT against technological advancement. What I am against is unrestricted AI development. The following statement pretty much summarizes my standpoint:

"Dumb AI is good, smart AI is dangerous, and self-aware AI is catastrophic!"

Refer to:
https://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?p=193379#193379

That's why I keep emphasizing the importance of AI safety.

Wink
Post 28 Aug 2017, 05:04
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
the rate of ai and self-learning machines are probably the bless that could help human live forever and solve our initial bugs,

You are right, provided that the AIs / self-learning machines are under control!

Wink
Post 28 Aug 2017, 05:07
Furs

YONG wrote:
David, the robot, creates the ultimate life-form, the aliens, to wipe out all non-plant creatures. To "him", "he" is creating a whole new world. How magnificent that is!

I'd say David is a dumb AI then, considering the Aliens are dumb creatures. Wink If it was Predator it would be a different thing I guess.

BTW, there's no such thing as "controlled AI", that wouldn't be AI, it would be... a pattern matching machine. An AI, by definition, thinks for itself (else it's not "intelligence") and reprograms itself.

I mean, unless you say our algorithms are also having "intelligence" Confused
Post 28 Aug 2017, 11:58
YONG

Furs wrote:
An AI, by definition, thinks for itself (else it's not "intelligence") and reprograms itself.

What definition? Yours?

Just take a look at the different branches of AI and you will immediately understand that your definition is problematic.

Branches of artificial intelligence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_artificial_intelligence#Branches_of_artificial_intelligence

What you are talking about is called AGI -- Artificial General Intelligence.

Exclamation
Post 28 Aug 2017, 12:41

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: