flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > Converting NTFS->FAT32

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

Is it possible to convert a NTFS HD to FAT32 without losing data?
I'd like to do it to install Linux on another partition and it can "see" the files from the other partition.

Thanks!
Post 10 Sep 2006, 05:05
RedGhost

There is beta (final now?) and intermediate support for NTFS in Linux. I don't know the exact URLS but I am sure you can google around for it.

Post 10 Sep 2006, 06:20
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Reverend

AFAIK:
1) It's impossible to convert NTFS to FAT32 (and vice versa) without formatting hard drive.
2) By default Linux kernel supports NTFS only for reading. If you want to have full access (writing, deleting, etc.) you'll have to recompile the kernel.
Post 10 Sep 2006, 11:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Artlav

Reverend: Wrong. There are programs, like "PowerQuest PartitionMagic Pro", which can convert any filesystem to any other (fat, ntfs, ext2) or resize partitions without loosing data.
But if disk contains errors, PartitionMagic will destroy all data on the disk, and send you to their tech support center.

NTFS support in linux is read-only, with minimal write support (as of 2.6.17), that allows you to change file contents without alterng it's size or name. No deleting, creating, etc is supported.
Post 10 Sep 2006, 12:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
UCM

It is possibe to convert FAT32 to NTFS, using "convert" (under Windows.) The Linux kernel only supports reading, *BUT* there is 'ntfsmount', which supports writing (not so well), and 'ntfs-3g' which has decent write support. (These two use FUSE.)
Post 10 Sep 2006, 14:14
f0dder

I'd be very careful about using NTFS write from linux; read should be safe enough thuogh Smile

There was a project that basically wrapped Microsoft's own NTFS drivers, that might be a bit safer than other hacks around...
Post 10 Sep 2006, 20:04
Rookie

V-Com DriveWorks does a great job at converting NTFS partitions to something else (I used it for conversion to FAT16 and FAT32).
PartitionMagic can also do that, but it also has the bad habbit of corrupting your data, and you also need to have the partition defragmented before converting it.
Post 11 Sep 2006, 12:23

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: