flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > Delphi Community Edition - free download

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
TmX

Quote:

Embarcadero® Delphi 10.2 Tokyo Community Edition is a great way to get started building high-performance Delphi apps for Windows, mac OS, iOS, and Android. Delphi Community Edition includes a streamlined IDE, code editor, integrated debugger, two-way visual designers to speed development, hundreds of visual components, and a limited commercial use license.

https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter/free-download

Seems like Embarcadero decided to follow MS's footstep. A bit late, perhaps? Smile
Post 19 Jul 2018, 06:59
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
a great news,
i will try download it later if i connected to fast network, thanks
Post 19 Jul 2018, 07:20
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

TmX wrote:
A bit late, perhaps? Smile
These days everything seems like "a bit late". Wink
Post 19 Jul 2018, 07:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

Obligatory link to Free Pascal / Lazarus:

https://www.freepascal.org/
http://www.lazarus-ide.org/

Feel free to report bugs on what works in Delphi but doesn't in FPC (yet)!

https://bugs.freepascal.org/my_view_page.php
Post 11 Aug 2018, 23:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DimonSoft

rugxulo wrote:
Obligatory link to Free Pascal / Lazarus:

https://www.freepascal.org/
http://www.lazarus-ide.org/

Feel free to report bugs on what works in Delphi but doesn't in FPC (yet)!

https://bugs.freepascal.org/my_view_page.php

Used to have a very buggy IDE with poor debugging features near 2008, then, if I remember correctly, it dropped support for Win9x which was a bad thing for me back then. Have they rewritten the IDE since then?
Post 12 Aug 2018, 09:30
rugxulo

DimonSoft wrote:

Used to have a very buggy IDE with poor debugging features near 2008, then, if I remember correctly, it dropped support for Win9x which was a bad thing for me back then. Have they rewritten the IDE since then?

I love FPC, it's very good, but I don't claim to know or use every feature. In particular, I just thought it was somewhat strange to see a recommendation to use Delphi Starter (although I was aware of it but never tried) because of various restrictions and limitations (32-bit only?). Perhaps it's great for someone, I'm not denying that, but I think FPC should still be strongly considered if at all possible. (FPC is very robust and actually older than Delphi. Obviously it can build itself.)

AFAIK, FPC is very low on volunteers and developers, but they still do a majestic job of releases for many OSes and cpu arches. So I've heard that the TUI IDE was older code and somewhat unmaintained but gradually got better over time (since first 2.0.0 Delphi-focused release in 2005). The TUI IDE (FP.EXE) tries to mimic old Borland IDEs, so it (usually?) has compiler and GDB built-in for easier development. But honestly I never even use the IDE, only cmdline! And anyways, most people would probably recommend Lazarus' GUI IDE instead. I think Lazarus is considered quite stable these days.

A ton has changed and improved since 2008. But I'm sure you know that Win9x has been unsupported by MS since 2006. Even FPC dropped support for it a few years ago. They just don't have maintainers for it (despite more interest in Windows target than others, but their core devs mostly prefer Linux and other OSes more). I'm not even honestly sure if they guarantee XP support anymore (which MS dropped in 2014, obviously).

Just try it, and if it doesn't work somehow, file a bug. Especially for something that works correctly in Delphi since they are very vigilant in trying to keep up with that. They support various dialects, but clearly Delphi is the main one nowadays. Legacy "tp" / Turbo is still supported, thankfully, but most code, including the compiler itself, is Delphi-based. It used to be classic Delphi 7 [2003?] focused, but since a few years they've gone quite beyond that, too. I prefer other dialects, honestly, so I'm not sure exactly what else is still not supported. Delphi has had TONS of releases and added TONS of features! It's almost unfair to consider it Pascal at this point because they changed so much.

(Sorry for ramble.)
Post 13 Aug 2018, 19:03
DimonSoft

rugxulo wrote:
A ton has changed and improved since 2008. But I'm sure you know that Win9x has been unsupported by MS since 2006. Even FPC dropped support for it a few years ago. They just don't have maintainers for it (despite more interest in Windows target than others, but their core devs mostly prefer Linux and other OSes more). I'm not even honestly sure if they guarantee XP support anymore (which MS dropped in 2014, obviously).

Just try it, and if it doesn't work somehow, file a bug. Especially for something that works correctly in Delphi since they are very vigilant in trying to keep up with that. They support various dialects, but clearly Delphi is the main one nowadays. Legacy "tp" / Turbo is still supported, thankfully, but most code, including the compiler itself, is Delphi-based. It used to be classic Delphi 7 [2003?] focused, but since a few years they've gone quite beyond that, too. I prefer other dialects, honestly, so I'm not sure exactly what else is still not supported. Delphi has had TONS of releases and added TONS of features! It's almost unfair to consider it Pascal at this point because they changed so much.

That’s what I find really funny: compile for MS-DOS but give up Win9x although most applications (those that do data moving here and there) do not require any new features introduced in NT. TrackMouseEvent might be the only feature that is not in the basic API of Win9x but even it is supported there, just from another system DLL.

And it’s not Delphi Starter. Community Edition is Professional version with the only difference that you should earn at most $5000 with it. It supports all the cross-platform stuff modern Delphi is proud of.
Post 13 Aug 2018, 19:38
rugxulo

DimonSoft wrote:

That’s what I find really funny: compile for MS-DOS but give up Win9x although most applications (those that do data moving here and there) do not require any new features introduced in NT.

DOS/Go32v2 lost its maintainer in 2003, and I don't think it's ever truly had one since then! It too almost died but was revived circa 2008 (barely), mostly thanks to volunteer work by Tomas (OS/2 dude) and Pierre (IDE and snapshots dude), with other bits by MarcoV (FreeBSD dude). While DOS stuff runs well on Win9x, it can't target Win32 APIs. Honestly, as a DOS fan, I'm the last to whine about Win9x being obsolete, but that ship has long sailed.

I honestly don't know the details. Something about having to be extremely careful not to accidentally rely on WinXP etc. APIs (which is harder to test for the few devs, plus documentation is harder to find since MS abandoned / deprecated it all). At least the internal linker helped them not pull in too much unnecessary stuff anymore, I think, which was a problem for a while.

DimonSoft wrote:

TrackMouseEvent might be the only feature that is not in the basic API of Win9x but even it is supported there, just from another system DLL.

They just couldn't do it anymore, or else they didn't find it worth their time. Like I said, there's more interest in Windows than other compiler targets, but their few devs are just volunteers (no one being paid full-time) and "mostly" prefer using other OSes.

DimonSoft wrote:

And it’s not Delphi Starter. Community Edition is Professional version with the only difference that you should earn at most $5000 with it. It supports all the cross-platform stuff modern Delphi is proud of.

The URL contains "/starter/", so I just assumed it was the same thing. Good for them if they've expanded their offerings. I'm not saying it's a bad product. I'm sure it's a godsend for some, but you just have to be careful about any potential restrictions.
Post 13 Aug 2018, 20:05
rugxulo

rugxulo wrote:
Honestly, as a DOS fan, I'm the last to whine about Win9x being obsolete, but that ship has long sailed.

Just FYI, in case you didn't know, FPC has officially supported i8086-msdos (16-bit) target for the first time in 3.0.0 (2015, thanks to Nikolai). But it's cross-compiler only, thus you need Linux or Win32 host to use it. Actually, you can run the Win32 cross-compiler (ppcross8086.exe) under Japheth's HX / HDPMI32 in DOS if you're careful. The 3.1.1 snapshots are still not finalized, so there is still no actual Go32v2 hosted version ("cross"-compiler from 32-bit DOS host to 16-bit DOS target) yet. Although they did some work in trunk by switching away from OpenWatcom's WLINK + WLIB + NASM (since it conflicted with DJGPP's cmdline passing proxy mechanism). So it has an internal assembler + (smart)linker there, too, nowadays, which should help a lot.

I've not looked (much) at that internally, and I don't think others have either. It would be nice to have a Go32v2-hosted version, but nobody's done it. In fact, I don't think the compiler itself will even build (at least not directly, easily, without patches) in DOS itself. Yet another problem. Yeah, everybody is too busy. We're just lucky anything still works. They're very diligent and go beyond the call of duty, though, so who can complain? Hey, maybe I should force myself to take a closer look again (ugh). But some things aren't as easy as they sound.
Post 13 Aug 2018, 20:17
Furs

rugxulo wrote:
I honestly don't know the details. Something about having to be extremely careful not to accidentally rely on WinXP etc. APIs (which is harder to test for the few devs, plus documentation is harder to find since MS abandoned / deprecated it all).
I always find the "harder to test" argument laughable, and so many insist on it in general. I mean, how hard can it be to boot a Virtual Machine with Win98 on it and test? Nothing but pure lies obviously.

"But it won't guarantee it's the same as on a real OS" well guess what, at least keep "Win98 VM compatibility" then rather than dropping it if testing was *really* the issue you had with it? Clearly they're just lying though, and I'm not picking them out specifically: a lot of morons think they can fool people with this PR speech especially from companies.
Post 14 Aug 2018, 12:07

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: