flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Heap > Skype bug ‘system’ level access and English is the solution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
Furs wrote:
BTW I forgot to say that chinese will not be the international language in 50 years (and if it will be, it will be a sad day for mankind). Look at the horrendous characters and how difficult they are to type. (we might not use keyboards then, but I'm guessing in 50 years Google translations will be perfect, so English will remain anyway, no need to switch etc)

the idea of language is about transmitting ideas,
any language that capable to handle such task, will certainly become international language,

i would hope human could evolve beyond language, eg, transmit all the feelings in conscious dream mode, directly,

language is far too slow, and our lifetime is too limited,
Post 25 Feb 2018, 19:31
rugxulo

revolution wrote:
You are not locked into representing the characters/words/phonemes in only one way. The language and its representation are not exclusively intertwined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

Wikipedia wrote:

All Japanese who have attended elementary school since World War II have been taught to read and write romanized Japanese. Therefore, almost all Japanese are able to read and write Japanese using romaji, although it is extremely rare in Japan to use this method to write Japanese (except as an input tool on a computer or for special purposes like in some logo design), and most Japanese are more comfortable reading kanji/kana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C5%8Dy%C5%8D_kanji

Wikipedia wrote:

The joyo kanji is the guide to kanji characters and their readings, announced officially by the Japanese Ministry of Education. Current joyo kanji are those on a list of 2,136 characters issued in 2010.

Due to the requirement that official government documents make use of only jōyō kanji and their readings, several rare characters are also included by dint of being a part of the Constitution of Japan, which was being written at the same time the original 1850-character tōyō kanji list was compiled.

So yes, all you need is a well-defined, standardized, subset. But you have to get all parties to agree on which one, why, and when. And then you have to concede or bend a little to make sure not to overly burden the other side.

I'm not trying to pretend I'm a diplomat, just saying it's only fair to work on an agreeable solution without being overly rigid on minor details.
Post 25 Feb 2018, 22:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

Furs wrote:
I know the creator of Esperanto is probably butthurt it wasn't Spanish who ended up the international language. Rolling Eyes

"is"? He died in 1917. That's a hundred years ago. Besides, he wasn't Spanish but Polish. He spoke several languages and was familiar with many more, but Wikipedia mentions nothing about Spanish.

Esperanto etymology (Wikipedia)

Not to be too unintentionally rude (although I've done it before), but our fearless leader here, Privalov, is Polish. That's a Slavic language (although there are apparently many more!). Not sure of the details exactly, maybe he can chime in, if curious. I just personally don't know whether he was officially educated in English or not (or maybe Russian, who knows). My point is that, although you and I may prefer English (I really don't have much of a choice), he himself may only do it reluctantly.

So I wonder why you think someone like him would prefer English. Maybe he does, but it would also not be unusual for him to prefer something else entirely. And similarly it wouldn't be irrational for Linus Torvalds to prefer to communicate in Swedish. Yes, that would rule out some people like myself (no huge loss!), but that would be their right. Of course, no one is forced here to only speak one, so we can gladly switch as needed.

(Malgrau praktiko jam de kelkaj jaroj, mia scipovo iomete paneis pro maluzo. Chu la angla ververe pli internacia ol E-o? Chu ech la poloj au svedoj plejparte shatas la anglan interrete? Bonvolu paroli libere se taugus.)

BTW, last Wednesday was International Mother Language Day (who knew?). Although I'm sympathetic, I can't help but feel confused by the mixed messages being sent from various groups. I think it's the lazy way out to stay isolated, but certainly peace on Earth is difficult.

REDAKTIS: s/even/ech/

Last edited by rugxulo on 26 Feb 2018, 14:35; edited 1 time in total
Post 26 Feb 2018, 03:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

rugxulo wrote:
Besides, he wasn't Spanish but Polish.
Why do people think that someone must love his native language, it's prejudice IMO. Wink I've actually met a guy once who hated Spanish vehemently, yet he was Spanish himself. Assuming someone loves his native language (not just that he uses it) sounds like, I don't know, arranged marriage and other forced stuff that take away your individualism based on where and what you were born into? Can't find a better analogy, sorry. Confused

Esperanto is clearly very close to Spanish though, even the name says it all. Espanol -> Esperanto. Obvious connection, even for someone like me (not to mention many common words are very similar).

rugxulo wrote:
Not to be too unintentionally rude (although I've done it before), but our fearless leader here, Privalov, is Polish. That's a Slavic language (although there are apparently many more!). Not sure of the details exactly, maybe he can chime in, if curious. I just personally don't know whether he was officially educated in English or not (or maybe Russian, who knows). My point is that, although you and I may prefer English (I really don't have much of a choice), he himself may only do it reluctantly.

So I wonder why you think someone like him would prefer English. Maybe he does, but it would also not be unusual for him to prefer something else entirely. And similarly it wouldn't be irrational for Linus Torvalds to prefer to communicate in Swedish. Yes, that would rule out some people like myself (no huge loss!), but that would be their right. Of course, no one is forced here to only speak one, so we can gladly switch as needed.
Tomasz has great English knowledge, probably better than me. I don't care that it's not perfect, it's not even the point. Sure he can dislike English since Polish is quite different, but at least he knows it which means he isn't one of the stubborn ones who can't accept it

Linus, well, let's just say he knows how to curse a lot in English. Razz
Post 26 Feb 2018, 13:19
rugxulo

Furs wrote:
Why do people think that someone must love his native language, it's prejudice IMO. Wink

It's not prejudice just to appreciate something unless that somehow indirectly detracts from others. Zamenhof's native languages were apparently both Russian and Yiddish.

Furs wrote:

I've actually met a guy once who hated Spanish vehemently, yet he was Spanish himself.

Spain has several languages, as already mentioned. So it's debatable which one your friend prefers. There's quite a brouhaha about Catalonia these days.

Furs wrote:

Assuming someone loves his native language (not just that he uses it) sounds like, I don't know, arranged marriage and other forced stuff that take away your individualism based on where and what you were born into? Can't find a better analogy, sorry. Confused

I agree somewhat that it's pointless to be overly attached to minor details. However, even if language is only a tool, it's still heavily ingrained in us. So it's hard to let go. But we also shouldn't be forced due to scorn from others either. Some transitions "for the better" just don't work.

Furs wrote:

Esperanto is clearly very close to Spanish though, even the name says it all. Espanol -> Esperanto. Obvious connection, even for someone like me (not to mention many common words are very similar).

Latin had a huge influence, so did its offshoots (French, Spanish, Italian). More or less, Latin was always the international language, but it's grammar is quite difficult. Granted, I'm not sure if Latin is more difficult than the combination of all its children! So yes, E-o borrowed word roots that were common among many popular languages. It doesn't make sense to go totally against the grain for no reason.

Even GCC originally started as a C frontend to a Pascal-ish compiler (Pastel). But nowadays, since 4.8, it's mostly written in a subset of modern C++ (unlike old days where it was K&R C). Things change, whether we like it or not. Supposedly this switch helped maintainability.

Furs wrote:

rugxulo wrote:
Our fearless leader here, Privalov, is Polish. So I wonder why you think someone like him would prefer English.

Tomasz has great English knowledge, probably better than me. I don't care that it's not perfect, it's not even the point. Sure he can dislike English since Polish is quite different, but at least he knows it which means he isn't one of the stubborn ones who can't accept it

Linus, well, let's just say he knows how to curse a lot in English. Razz

I'm just saying, if he instead preferred Russian or Polish (or anything else) for this forum, could anyone truly be surprised? The only obvious reason to prefer English would be popularity. I'm sure if most of us spoke Russian (like some do on other forums), he'd probably prefer that.

Though Linus himself has said that the (minimal) similarities between Swedish and English helped him. But of course he lives here (and is a citizen now), and two of his children were born here (presumably also speaking English, but who knows what they speak at home).

I don't know, it's a mess. I do want to minimally defend the idea of language preservation, but it's somewhat hard to support everything. I don't want to force anyone to stop doing this or start doing that. But, at the same time, you have to speak what others speak, at least partially. But that should be obvious, and we shouldn't force it.
Post 26 Feb 2018, 15:06
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12525/security-researchers-publish-ryzen-flaws-gave-amd-24-hours-to-respond

24 hours before amd stock goes down? Laughing

probably more and more such trick in future,
Post 13 Mar 2018, 18:21
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

I read elsewhere that these "flaws" are a hoax intended to manipulate the stock market.
Post 13 Mar 2018, 22:56
Furs

They're a hoax. Their videos use stock footage for backgrounds etc. Scum basically.
Post 15 Mar 2018, 14:50
sleepsleep

Post 24 Mar 2018, 20:46
sleepsleep

http://blog.frizk.net/2018/03/total-meltdown.html?m=1

meltdown patch introduce another new feature, welcome, thanks

Quote:

Meet the Windows 7 Meltdown patch from January. It stopped Meltdown but opened up a vulnerability way worse ... It allowed any process to read the complete memory contents at gigabytes per second, oh - it was possible to write to arbitrary memory as well.
Post 28 Mar 2018, 08:28
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
http://blog.frizk.net/2018/03/total-meltdown.html?m=1

meltdown patch introduce another new feature, welcome, thanks

Quote:

Meet the Windows 7 Meltdown patch from January. It stopped Meltdown but opened up a vulnerability way worse ... It allowed any process to read the complete memory contents at gigabytes per second, oh - it was possible to write to arbitrary memory as well.
Microsoft are clearly getting more and more sloppy. I guess all that hard work they do stealing everyone's data is keeping them too busy to properly test the updates.
Post 28 Mar 2018, 10:04
Furs

Sloppy? This is obviously intended to push more people to "the much more secure Windows 10".
Post 28 Mar 2018, 14:05
revolution

Furs wrote:
Sloppy? This is obviously intended to push more people to "the much more secure Windows 10".
Hehe, maybe. But I'm quite sure MS think that the user's data is for them only, so why make it available to all the other bad actors also?
Post 28 Mar 2018, 21:37
sleepsleep

stupid browser webrtc shit, they knew you from tor, lol

https://voidsec.com/vpn-leak/

TL:DR: VPN leaks users’ IPs via WebRTC.
I’ve tested seventy VPN providers and 16 of them leaks users’ IPs via WebRTC (23%)

Disable WebRTC
Disable JavaScript (or at least some functions. Use NoScript)
Disable Canvas Rendering (Web API)
Always set a DNS fallback for every connection/adapter
Always kill all your browsers istances before and after a VPN connection
Clear browser cache, history and cookies
Drop all outgoing connections except for VPN provider
Post 29 Mar 2018, 01:21
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
Disable WebRTC
Disable JavaScript (or at least some functions. Use NoScript)
Disable Canvas Rendering (Web API)
Always set a DNS fallback for every connection/adapter
Always kill all your browsers istances before and after a VPN connection
Clear browser cache, history and cookies
Drop all outgoing connections except for VPN provider
Step 2 (disable JS) is all that is required. All the other steps rely on JS. And the cookies are a separate issue, not really related.
Post 29 Mar 2018, 01:30
revolution

Another "branch prediction attack" has emerged.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/its-not-just-spectre-researchers-reveal-more-branch-prediction-attacks/

The details are not really surprising. The article has an overview of the nature of the attack.

But the clear message here is that if you have any sort of history stored somewhere then it can be used against you. In this particular case it is the branch predictor, but as we have seen the caches are also a source of history.

This is also a social problem that we see from both online sources (facebook, twitter, etc.) and offline sources (your friends, family etc.). In the famous words from Cardinal Richelieu
Quote:
Give me six lines written by the most honest man in the world, and I will find enough in them to hang him.
Or in this case: If you give me some branch/cache history written by the CPU of the most innocent of program, I will find something in there which will expose the secret keys.

Wink
Post 29 Mar 2018, 11:39
sleepsleep

Post 03 May 2018, 18:59
Furs

sleepsleep wrote:
https://landave.io/2018/05/7-zip-from-uninitialized-memory-to-remote-code-execution/

update your 7-zip now, thank you,
This affects only decoding .rar archives?

A good idea to always decode archives you download online within a sandbox (the program itself, 7z in this case, should be run inside the sandbox I guess). Obviously no need for that with your own archives, unless you're bipolar and don't trust yourself. Wink

Yeah, this bug was fixed but who knows what others lurk?
Post 03 May 2018, 20:15
revolution

Eight new Spectre Variant Vulnerabilities for Intel Discovered - four of them critical

There are no details in the article, unfortunately.

But I'm sure all of you reading this have disabled all untrusted code, right? No JS. No AV. No random code from random websites. No kid sister access.
Post 04 May 2018, 00:47
sleepsleep

should cpu be designed from ground up?
with less instructions, less registers, less rules, no auto predict, and more simple approaches?

kiss?

or we need complexities to fill out egos, Laughing
maybe we are too smart to build simple stuff that simple works,
Post 04 May 2018, 01:42

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: