flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > One terminal or two?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ProphetOfDoom

One terminal or two?
I'm just starting to write a debugger for my nascent programming language Idlewild-Lang. I'm writing it on MacOS first, then there will be a fairly trivial Unix-y port to Ubuntu, then the problem of somehow getting it to work on Windows.
My prototype application opens a new terminal window in which to run the traced process. So you have two terminal emulators on screen, one to type in debugging commands and one for the traced process's output. You switch between them using CTRL+` (On MacOS and Ubuntu anyway).
One advantage of this is that the debugger's output doesn't get mixed in with the traced program's output, which is much tidier and less confusing if there's a lot of debug output from both. Another advantage is that you could query the debugger for statistics like tracee memory usage without stopping the traced program running. Also you could type expressions in to evaluate whilst the program runs.
The big disadvantage is obvious. You might have to switch between windows more often.
So, which would you prefer, one terminal emulator or two?
Post 23 Aug 2017, 17:57
Furs

Why do you have to switch to the program's output? It's not like you can enter any commands, or is it an interactive terminal app?
Post 23 Aug 2017, 19:50
ProphetOfDoom

I was anticipating people using computers with small screens - my MacBook Pro has a 15" screen and yet you can only just fit two default sized Terminal instances horizontally on the screen. And yes, it could be an interactive terminal app, also.
Post 23 Aug 2017, 19:59
Furs

Well I don't know precisely what you are after, but ALT+Tab is usually what you use to switch between Windows on... Windows. (works on Linux also, just now I used it on two terminal emulators). It's not more of a pain than what you said, actually I find it easier to type.

I know, maybe I misunderstood and am stating the obvious.
Post 24 Aug 2017, 21:45
ProphetOfDoom

Hmm, not booted into Windows in a while, but I Googled it and it said ALT+TAB is for switching between apps, and ALT+` is for switching between windows of the _same_ app. So it seems as if all three major OSs work the same. I'm trying to implement the two-terminal version ATM. I don't have to worry about whether end-users like it yet, as I don't appear to have any end-users. LOL.
Post 25 Aug 2017, 18:03
Furs

Oh you mean tabs in the terminal emulator? At least on mine they are tabs, not "windows" Confused
Post 25 Aug 2017, 19:26
ProphetOfDoom

No I don't mean tabs. I mean windows. The app gnome-terminal which I believe Ubuntu uses can be configured to open a new tab or a new window entirely. It's in Edit->Preferences->General. Your flavour of Linux may vary.
Post 25 Aug 2017, 19:36

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: