flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Demos that actually work on your computer?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vivik

Demos that actually work on your computer?
I downloaded an archive of demos (limited by size programs, usually just displaying pretty graphics), but not many actually worked correctly. Some of them just displayed black screen, some didn't restore screen resolution to normal. I wonder how common that is.

So, if you can recommend some that work ok on your computer, please do.
Post 01 Jul 2017, 09:55
Furs

Demos are typically highly reliant on a specific OS since they use low level hacks. Did you try in a VM?
Post 01 Jul 2017, 10:38
vivik

I... I'm interested in ones that work on windows, without any VM.

Feel free to share demos for any os, if it's the one you usually use. Just do whatever you want, don't listen to me.
Post 01 Jul 2017, 12:56
Furs

Well it's been a while since I've used Windows or ran demos "natively". Confused

I remember running some back in 1999 on Windows 98 but I was too young to remember anything I just thought they were cool. (without VM since I didn't even know what VMs were)
Post 02 Jul 2017, 10:50
rugxulo

Aren't most demos on sites like pouet.net?

E.g. SorryAss (clone of DONKEY.BAS, in honor of IBM PC's 35th anniversary last year), which was indeed written in FASM (but not for Windows).
Post 05 Jul 2017, 21:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vivik

Yeah, there are many of those on pouet. Too lazy to download those, many of those most likely wouldn't work for me (my computer isn't the best). Could watch them on youtube, but what's the point.
Post 06 Jul 2017, 17:41
bitRAKE

Shameless self-promotion, lol:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=61073

Of course, it's possible to search Pouet. I'm kind of partial to 1k or 4k windows demos. Procedural generated images are really cool, imo. https://www.shadertoy.com/ Modern video cards are sufficient - better ones just take less time to generate images.
Post 07 Jul 2017, 04:20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vivik

You guys really still use dos?
Post 07 Jul 2017, 05:53
YONG

You may want to play with probability:

Chaos Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbKtFN71Lfs&t=5m37s

Wink
Post 07 Jul 2017, 06:31
rugxulo

vivik wrote:
Yeah, there are many of those on pouet. Too lazy to download those, many of those most likely wouldn't work for me (my computer isn't the best). Could watch them on youtube, but what's the point.

What's the point?? A non-interactive demo on YouTube gives you the same experience.

vivik wrote:
You guys really still use dos?

Nobody on this forum except me probably still uses DOS, but I don't use it for demos. For demos, most people use DOSBox (emulator).
Post 08 Jul 2017, 06:00
Furs

I don't use DOSBox, I use FreeDOS in a VM. Razz (at least it runs with native code; some people have the misconception that all VMs emulate instructions, but that's only heavy weight ones like QEMU/Bochs not when running x86 code...)
Post 08 Jul 2017, 11:27
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

rugxulo wrote:

vivik wrote:

What's the point?? A non-interactive demo on YouTube gives you the same experience.

Not always. Wink For example one of my favorite old time demos, Second Reality, is quite hard to capture in its original glory. My point of reference is watching it on my old Pentium 1 machine with a classic CRT monitor (one that is able to seamlessly switch between modes, not with a "click" and a pause like later ones do). The demo did lots of tricks that relied on perfect synchronization with the beam, and this was with VGA's 70 Hz vertical refresh rate. Recently someone made a 60fps video with a recording of this demo, and it is near the original, but it still has some artifacts and I perceive it as a bit less "smooth". Well, maybe because 60 is not 70. Wink So I'm glad I still have my old machine in a good shape so I can watch the demo there. Unfortunately my original CRT has broken and I'm left with a newer one which does that "click" thing that I hate, but perhaps the old one can still be fixed...
Post 08 Jul 2017, 13:38

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: