flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Term for the conversion from a believer to a non-believer

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

I find disillusion a good word, in a sense of disenchant, as in Breaking the spell. Wink
Post 24 Jun 2017, 13:20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
I find disillusion a good word

The verb form means disappoint someone by revealing the falsity or dark side of his/her belief; it does not seem to describe the conversion process.

Wink
Post 24 Jun 2017, 13:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699

nyrtzi wrote:

It used to be trendy among atheists to say to Christians that “I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

In a similar way those skeptics, who don't have faith in humanity, progress, science and technology almighty, tell other skeptics that "I contend we are both skeptics, I just hold one less ideology than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other ideologies, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Laughing
it feels just so hilarious and so weird, people in war, killing others, and all others unnecessary conflict, because you don't believe what i believe, and you must believe what i believed,

it just so comedy, with all the blood spilled because all these unnecessary desire to impose what others should believe, Laughing

why the heck you want to control what others should believe?

YONG wrote:

sleepsleep wrote:
@YONG,
when you say believer, it includes believers of every "stuffs" out there, including science believers too, Embarassed

Given the context, the meaning of "believer" is unambiguous.

For example, when we talk about computer hardware, the word "processor" would not mean "word processor". Right?

Wink

sorry for my language limitation, Embarassed
changes is always the ingredient for any process,
and people change and always change,

since good and bad depend on perspective, so we can't justify whether the process from believers to non-believers is always positive or negative,

i think, "believers to non-believers" i guess, i should treat them as one word, Laughing Embarassed
Post 24 Jun 2017, 16:05
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
... so we can't justify whether the process from believers to non-believers is always positive or negative

This thread is not about moral judgement; it is about finding the proper word to describe a specific thing.

Wink
Post 25 Jun 2017, 01:33
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699

i see the following, maybe i am wrong, Embarassed
since most of the descriptive words will contain positive or negative values, like synonyms and antonyms,

not sure how easy it would be to have a non judgemental word to describe a changes + outcome, maybe it is hard, thats why you ask about such word here, Embarassed
Post 25 Jun 2017, 07:33
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
not sure how easy it would be to have a non judgemental word to describe a changes + outcome

Example:

In Poland, property prices have been escalating since 2009 -- right after the global financial crisis.

Is the verb "escalate" good or bad? Positive or negative?

The verb merely describes an objective fact.

For real estate developers, the statement is very positive; for an average worker who wants to buy his/her first home, the statement is very negative.

Wink
Post 25 Jun 2017, 10:45
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

YONG wrote:

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
I find disillusion a good word

The verb form means disappoint someone by revealing the falsity or dark side of his/her belief; it does not seem to describe the conversion process.

Deconversion seems to be a widely used term for this kind of conversion.
Post 26 Jun 2017, 09:36
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Deconversion seems to be a widely used term for this kind of conversion.

Thanks.

Other than the part of returning to a previously-held religion or non-religion, "deconversion" has the needed meaning.

But ... how come it does not show up on any of the widely-used online dictionary websites?

Because it is a newly-invented word!

In fact, I have already invented one for my writing, which, I believe, is even better.

Nope. I am not going to tell you my invented word.

Wink
Post 26 Jun 2017, 10:00

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: