flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Linux hardware advice: What to buy?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

sleepsleep wrote:
maybe there are some customized stuffs that will probably degrade the overall performance if without ssd,

Maybe, but I don't care about the storage performance. I care about the storage capacity.
Post 23 Sep 2017, 22:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

Oh yeah I remember a somewhat similar scenario in my case when my first SSD bricked. It was still in warranty but they didn't have a replacement in stock so they just let me pick another new one (different model) for the same price (which ended up being superior).

I chose the "slower write speeds" SSD because it had way higher capacity (TLC) and the vendor is like "WTF why do you pick that one, it has slow writing!!"

Hello? It has 2.5x the capacity. Who the fuck cares about write speed, seriously? I mean I can understand people who want SSD for read speed, but write speed, seriously? For what, backups? Do them in background or overnight. Sheesh.

People these days lack patience. Confused
Post 23 Sep 2017, 23:47
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
2.5x is capacity or write speed? Wink

btw, you could install termux in phone to get linux terminal, not sure if aircrack-ng is available, Laughing
Post 24 Sep 2017, 07:15
Furs

sleepsleep wrote:
2.5x is capacity or write speed? Wink

Capacity. Original SSD was like 50GB, I don't remember exactly, replacement 128GB. But really, that guy looked genuinely shocked that I picked 128GB over 64GB or whatever else was in stock, he seriously thought that the 128GB SSD is bad purely because of write speed.

Because write speed is so important Rolling Eyes I don't even know what do people use it for. (no, encoding videos is NOT it, since such fast encoding results in pathetic quality or compression anyway, why settle for less than perfect because of impatience)

Heck even 100MB/s is fast enough on writes.

sleepsleep wrote:
btw, you could install termux in phone to get linux terminal, not sure if aircrack-ng is available, Laughing

What's the point of a terminal on a phone? Pain to use and besides isn't it locked down by Google or whoever (can you even log in as root or use sudo?). Personally, I can't even use a PC without Total Commander or Double Commander or similar file managers. Wink Which is quite impossible on the phone so I don't care about organizing every little file in there.
Post 24 Sep 2017, 19:41
revolution

Furs wrote:
People these days lack patience. Confused

Some people do. In a world where instant gratification is encouraged people don't want to miss out on being the first see something. Hehe, it's almost like we are all¹ still five years old and must have everything NOW!

¹ By "all" I mean those people that are impatient.
Post 24 Sep 2017, 22:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
i guess people rarely have patience, it just people got too much stuff to get inpatient with, driving, email, faxing, lift, teaching, guiding, playing games, waiting for salary, customer payment, queueing, airport waiting, food ordering, growing into adult, dating, marriage, having first child, become somebody, having something, etc

we are not and can't wait by default,
Post 25 Sep 2017, 11:34
Furs

sleepsleep wrote:
we are not and can't wait by default

I'm willing to bet 99% of these people waste an extra few minutes in bed or whatever every day, so yeah, "can't wait" sounds pretty false to me.

Besides, you can always do something else while it's writing or whatever. It's called multi-tasking. (and no, not just on the PC either). Heck you could do a large write overnight while sleeping.
Post 25 Sep 2017, 11:36
revolution

Not that anyone probably cares Crying or Very sad Wink but my shorter list just became a shorterer list after one vendor failed to respond to any of my queries after 8 weeks of trying. I feel that such awesome responsiveness (or lack thereof) will be indicative of the kind of treatment I can expect if I ever needed help with a system problem.
Post 07 Oct 2017, 18:26
sleepsleep

maybe you should just get a usb pendrive and put linux inside pendrive, Wink

and solve whatever incompatible texts that came up on the screen, or maybe, everything will just run smooth, boot into desktop and you could use it straight away,
Post 08 Oct 2017, 02:33
revolution

sleepsleep: I've already tried to run Linux, I posted the results both here and in another thread. I don't have the knowledge to figure out all the problems by myself. And I don't have the time to attain the knowledge. And it shouldn't be my job to do that anyway, the manufacturers should do that because they know their systems. Or at the very least they should publish the details needed to run whatever OS someone wants.
Post 08 Oct 2017, 02:41
sleepsleep

linux support is mostly a diy thing, i dont expect oem brand to offer such support since they only want to support windows, and probably have limited resources to support windows only,

so most of thing about open source is diy thing, (in its cheapest form to acquired)

best bet always is, using the exact model like developer, (they most likely did lots of research before purchase)

i prefer memory based, so far, everything seems to work, from desktop, old desktop, to new desktop, and laptop,

partedmagic, porteus, windows pe, hirenboot,

work is defined as,
- able to online, eth0 and wlan0
- rw data on hard disk
Post 08 Oct 2017, 03:01
revolution

DIY, yes I know. That is why I want to pay someone else to do the work for me. I was happy to pay MS for such work (and their interfacing with the manufacturers), but once MS turned into full-on spying/tracking/monitoring/monetising mode that is no longer an option for me.
Post 08 Oct 2017, 04:00
sleepsleep

bad luck, ms will continue function as u you said until it breaks up,

and new applications or os will believe it is okay to integrate such telemetry inside their services,

maybe good in some sense, but we will leave with less and less privacy in the future,
Post 08 Oct 2017, 09:18
Furs

revolution wrote:
DIY, yes I know. That is why I want to pay someone else to do the work for me. I was happy to pay MS for such work (and their interfacing with the manufacturers), but once MS turned into full-on spying/tracking/monitoring/monetising mode that is no longer an option for me.

IMO searching online for solutions ("DIY" Linux) is faster than tech support that treats you like someone who doesn't know how to use a mouse and it takes half an hour to convince them otherwise and get to the real business. (most of the time the guy is clueless too, from what I read)

Well, I've never used tech support for Windows either after that one time I had bad experience with... so Wink
Post 08 Oct 2017, 10:47
revolution

Tech support is a whole different world. No one in any company that I know of does it well. That includes MS and system vendors. But when it is all designed to work together by engineers (wishful thinking perhaps?) then tech support is shouldn't be needed unless something is broken. i.e. broken as opposed to "we don't support <OS> so go away".
Post 08 Oct 2017, 10:59
sleepsleep

a Chinese restaurant sells Chinese food, kfc sells burgers, chickens, pork, McDonald sells chickens, sushi king sells sushi,
Post 08 Oct 2017, 11:16
Furs

Well FWIW I was "afraid" of Linux first since I was used with the Windows world, never used another Unix in my life.

Heck, I was even afraid of the filesystem layout, I thought it would be "bad" since I'm used to Windows drive letters etc. No, seriously, I was. Laughing I thought Linux FS separates stuff by extension and stuff, not that it's just a stupid rule of thumb for system files (which I hate btw).

But of course I found out there's not much difference in the filesystem layouts, and in fact Linux is far superior there, since you can mount a device or other mount point on any directory, instead of having the stupid drive letters. (heck you can "emulate" the drive letters if you want to this way).

So, I recommend you to install Linux and dual boot or use it in a VM for now. Get familiar with it (it will take a while, if you're a freak like me) etc, make some Bash scripts to fit your needs so you'll be ready when you install it for real. Do this a few minutes everyday (10-30min) in your spare time. To me it was fun to learn new things.

Note that I spent a lot of time on Windows to tweak it so it's lite and not bloated etc too. So it's not necessarily that it takes a lot of time compared to Windows (to me), just because I wasn't used to it.
Post 08 Oct 2017, 11:57
revolution

If you are recommending to me, then I've already tried such things. It is easy to say "install it and try it". Well I did, and I tried it, and it didn't work well at all. It was in fact unusable. It was painful to use. When the keyboard layout is wrong, and the mouse moves at 20 pixels per micron, yeah ... erm, NO. I'm sure it was a set of hardware incompatibilities, I guess. So that is why I started this very thread, to get advice from all the experts.
Post 08 Oct 2017, 12:07
Furs

The question is did you try to fix those issues in that spare time frame? I don't know your exact problem, but for example a search ends up: https://askubuntu.com/questions/109635/wrong-keyboard-map

Literally a 2 minute fix in this case, tho I don't know if you have anything similar.

Such problems to me are minor.
Post 08 Oct 2017, 13:22
sleepsleep

@revolution,
i dont doubt your experiences, but could you let me know what linux and its iso file you are using?

what keyboard map you intended to use?

preferred timezone?

input language?

when you said mouse moving 20px, is it usb mouse? or touchpad on laptop?

the system you are using while having those issues,

because, it doesnt really makes sense linux chooses not to work under your command, Laughing
Post 08 Oct 2017, 13:43

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: