flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Linux hardware advice: What to buy?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

YONG
TmX wrote:
revolution wrote:
I don't want to believe that. Perseverance and patience may pay great rewards. Time will tell.

Once you met your working Linux system, please let us know.
Smile
Probably in 2023!

Wink
Post 01 Jun 2017, 12:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
Furs wrote:
Rolling Eyes Feels like I'm talking with a non-techie. To me Firefox "feels" faster, go dispute it.
You are not talking to anyone; you are corresponding with someone on a message board.

I don't really know or care about which browser is (a bit) faster. On Windows, I tend to use Firefox; on ChromeOS & GalliumOS, I use Chrome.

Wink
Post 01 Jun 2017, 12:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Hehe, kind of related to my reason for avoiding Windows is also the same reason to avoid Chrome: Spying and monitoring. Why would Google care to make a browser that has no monetary cost to the user? What is in it for them? The answer: They can extend their tentacles directly into your computer.

Separation of tasks and suppliers is important IMO. While the latest FF might also be spying and monitoring, the destination of the data is different. And even though it is not a perfect situation to have anyone spying on you at least the data is not all going to a single entity.

Windows with Edge using Bing: MS gets to watch you do everything.

Chrome with Chrome [sic] using Google: Alphabet gets to watch you do everything.

Linux with FF using DDG: Everyone gets to see only a small piece.

ETA: At no time did I ever consider the browser's speed. Perhaps all those JS scripts running makes people see pages loading really slow? Anyhow, slow loading has never been a issue for me.
Post 01 Jun 2017, 13:08
rugxulo

rugxulo
revolution, your needs are so specific (and beyond what I normally focus upon) that I'm not sure any suggestions I might make would be totally applicable to you.

Have you at least looked at FSF's "Respects Your Freedom" items? https://ryf.fsf.org/

EDIT: I really meant http://www.fsf.org/ryf, which points to three laptops. (No idea why the first link doesn't go there automatically, although it does mention it.)

They seem to have at least three (refurbished IBM Thinkpad??) laptops available (from third-parties). It may not have everything you wanted (ultra-huge battery??), but it's better than nothing, right?

RMS himself currently uses a Thinkpad X60 (with libreboot and Trisquel GNU/Linux). He formerly used (MIPS) Lemote Yeeloong, but I don't know where to (reliably) find those.

You might be stuck checking eBay for suitable parts and cobbling together your own.
Post 01 Jun 2017, 15:13
revolution

revolution
rugxulo: Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen the RYF page. It comes up early in the search list. But I'm not so specific with the "fully free" thing. That is one level higher than I need. If there are proprietary drivers (like with nVidia) then I'm okay with that. I just need it to work, and not have unusable bits, or require me to jump through flaming hoops just to find the right driver. For all its pitfalls Windows has always been easy: buy a system turn it on, use it. I'm okay with one extra step: buy a system, turn it on, install Linux, use it. But I am scared by what appears to be the situation for many systems out there: buy a system, turn it on, install Linux, fail, boot Windows, search for a solution, install Linux, apply fix, fail, ... and repeat. This has been my experience so far. I don't want to go through it ever again.
Post 01 Jun 2017, 17:44
Furs

Furs
There should be one driver for common Nvidia GPUs. Did you visit nvidia.com? It even lets you select what OS/card you have and automatically gives you version of driver. If you install Mint/Ubuntu you can do it from PPA (just note the version) which makes it 2-step automatic...

Well here's how mine went.

Prepare for new install (with few info, you have a laptop already anyways to browse if you aren't prepared), install Linux, when booting go into menu (hold SHIFT and/or spam ESC), use 'nomodeset' setting (read online) so that it can boot (because no nVidia drivers yet and the kernel it came with was old), then add PPA from desktop (one command in terminal) and install driver (another command), reboot.

That's it. Then driver is fully installed and working in 2 commands.

You can likely skip the nomodeset step, since you won't get an old kernel version like I did when I installed it. (3.13)
Post 01 Jun 2017, 20:46
revolution

revolution
I don't have any nVidia hardware. It was an example of a non-free driver that I have no objection to using if needed. i.e. I don't need a full RYF system, as long as the drivers actually work.
Post 01 Jun 2017, 20:57
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
But I am scared by what appears to be the situation for many systems out there: buy a system, turn it on, install Linux, fail, boot Windows, search for a solution, install Linux, apply fix, fail, ... and repeat. This has been my experience so far. I don't want to go through it ever again.
I can literally feel your frustration. Back in the netbook days, I had tried to install at least a dozen brands of free Linux on those cheap machines. But I could never find one distro of free Linux that had all the needed drivers. At the end, I had no choice but to switch back to Windows 7.

Wink
Post 02 Jun 2017, 02:34
ford

ford
For the past few years, I have found that using Intel CPU/GPU and Intel chipsets has brought me the best luck. Everything simply works OOB. This has not been the case with anything else.
Post 02 Jun 2017, 03:16
YONG

YONG
ford wrote:
Everything simply works OOB.
What is OOB?

Out of the box? It should be OOTB!

Wink
Post 02 Jun 2017, 03:25
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
I still use an acer aspire one with xubuntu. No issues since the first day. It feels outdated now, but it has served me well all those years. All hardware worked properly and I do not remember having to do any more than just installing it.
If you like to really enjoy Linux, try buying a Raspberry pi and use it as an always on, headless home server or media box. I wish i had more time available for fasming on it.
Post 03 Jun 2017, 19:35
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
TmX wrote:
Once you met your working Linux system, please let us know.
Probably in 2023!
Don't be silly. More likely in 3220. Very Happy
YONG wrote:
Back in the netbook days, I had tried to install at least a dozen brands of free Linux on those cheap machines. But I could never find one distro of free Linux that had all the needed drivers. At the end, I had no choice but to switch back to Windows 7.
And how can we fix this? Back in the "great OS debate" thread I mentioned that without the hardware manufacturers help we can't fix this. Ever. They keep things secret.
pelaillo wrote:
I still use an acer aspire one with xubuntu. No issues since the first day. It feels outdated now, but it has served me well all those years. All hardware worked properly and I do not remember having to do any more than just installing it.
Do you know of anything current that can be bought today?
pelaillo wrote:
If you like to really enjoy Linux, try buying a Raspberry pi and use it as an always on, headless home server or media box. I wish i had more time available for fasming on it.
That isn't suitable for travelling though. And not being x86 based means compiling things from source in many cases.
Post 03 Jun 2017, 23:36
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
And how can we fix this? Back in the "great OS debate" thread I mentioned that without the hardware manufacturers help we can't fix this.
To me, the solution is Chromebook plus thoroughly-tested Linux distro. To you, there is no solution -- unless you are willing to drop your picky requirements.

Wink
Post 04 Jun 2017, 02:22
revolution

revolution
I already said there are solutions available. For some reason you choose to ignore that. The problem is trying to find "good" solutions, not just any solution.
Post 04 Jun 2017, 02:25
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
I already said there are solutions available. For some reason you choose to ignore that.
If those expensive solutions actually work for you, why would you even bother to start a thread to explore other/better/more accessible solutions?

Wink
Post 04 Jun 2017, 03:27
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
If those expensive solutions actually work for you, why would you even bother to start a thread to explore other/better/more accessible solutions?
Why wouldn't I? I want to find a good solution. Is there something wrong with that? Am I expected to accept the first solution that appears and not judge its merits? Or is this just a Linux thing, that people shouldn't expect to find anything good and just accept whatever bones are thrown at them? I hope not, because that would be sad. Sad
Post 04 Jun 2017, 03:36
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
Why wouldn't I? I want to find a good solution. Is there something wrong with that?
No, there is nothing wrong. But it shows that those expensive solutions do not work for you. Let's say in the coming six -- or even twelve -- months, there are no other "good" solutions available. Would you actually buy one of those expensive Linux machine from one of those small companies? You and I both know the negative answer.

Wink
Post 04 Jun 2017, 04:41
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
But it shows that those expensive solutions do not work for you. Let's say in the coming six -- or even twelve -- months, there are no other "good" solutions available. Would you actually buy one of those expensive Linux machine from one of those small companies? You and I both know the negative answer.
I don't know the answer. I haven't yet explored enough options to have an informed opinion. So I wonder how you can know the answer already?
Post 04 Jun 2017, 04:57
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
I wonder how you can know the answer already?
Time will tell. Sorry for "copying" your argument tactic. Laughing

Wink
Post 04 Jun 2017, 05:35
revolution

revolution
Time is such a terrible master. Can someone please invent something to tame it? Evil or Very Mad
Post 04 Jun 2017, 06:12

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: