flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Scientists Achieve Direct Counterfactual Quantum Comm...

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
Scientists Achieve Direct Counterfactual Quantum Comm...
http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-achieved-direct-counterfactual-quantum-communication-for-the-first-time

Quote:

Quantum communication is a strange beast, but one of the weirdest proposed forms of it is called counterfactual communication - a type of quantum communication where no particles travel between two recipients.

like magic, except this kinda information transaction beyond medium and space just mind boggling Embarassed
Post 16 May 2017, 12:26
YONG

Since you did not witness the experiment, you should just take its results 50/50!

Wink
Post 16 May 2017, 12:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

I don't get it. First it said no particles travel between two recipients, then it said you need to send a light wave to Alice, so which one is it? Confused

Pretty sure light communication has been around for at least a century or so. Except they use phase instead of intensity -- big deal?
Post 16 May 2017, 13:41
YONG

Furs wrote:
I don't get it. ...

Perhaps we should also take it 50/50!

Wink
Post 17 May 2017, 02:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

Well I don't take it 50/50 I'm interested for a real explanation not mumbo jumbo.

I mean yeah, no "particle" was sent (photon?) because they treat light as wave but... isn't it known that light is a wave (not just a particle) anyway? They just encode it in its phase instead of intensity, that's been done for ages with sound information (sent as light), not such a big deal to me. It's interesting discovery but not something that shatters our current understanding of physics.

Regardless it still means speed of light is a factor, so what's the point? To me "teleportation" means that it happens faster (i.e. instant) than the speed of light. Otherwise, what's the point? Confused
Post 17 May 2017, 11:29
YONG

I don't have time to read the article. So, I will just take it 50/50 for the time being.

Wink
Post 17 May 2017, 13:29
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
i take 50/50 on your 50/50, Laughing

imagine if we could stay alive on earth for another 50 years, all these new discoveries will certainly yield surprising new information and creative usage,

yah, i hope we all stay alive for another 50 years !
Post 17 May 2017, 14:49
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
yah, i hope we all stay alive for another 50 years !

You are still young; you may make it. But I am a middle-aged man; I am afraid that I can't make it. Confused

Wink
Post 18 May 2017, 03:35

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: