flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > International Mother Earth Day & a bit of US Politics

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
International Mother Earth Day & a bit of US Politics
Today, the 22nd of April, is International Mother Earth Day.

Refer to:
http://www.un.org/en/events/motherearthday/

Forum members are advised to do something to combat climate change and/or to protect the environment. For example, we may shut down all computers that are not mission-critical for one day to reduce electricity consumption.

Any other ideas?

Wink


Last edited by YONG on 28 Apr 2017, 13:36; edited 1 time in total
Post 22 Apr 2017, 09:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 15299
Location: Bigweld Industries
Re: International Mother Earth Day

YONG wrote:
Any other ideas?

Don't be lazy; ride a bicycle, walk or run instead of using a car/train/bus/motorbike. And don't make excuses about danger, weather, time, etc. just do it. You'll be fitter, healthier, happier and will sleep better.
Post 22 Apr 2017, 10:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs



Joined: 04 Mar 2016
Posts: 889
I don't care about it anymore, totally pointless as long as life is unfair and "the big fish" exist.

I mean, yeah, you stop using electricity as much and then watch a coal plant burning coal... yeah. Sounds like trying to squeeze 1 byte from a 10MB executable, at least the latter remains "permanent" so arguably it is a more "useful" feat. Wink
Post 22 Apr 2017, 11:14
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AsmGuru62



Joined: 28 Jan 2004
Posts: 1386
Location: Toronto, Canada
Climate always changed.
Total hoax, validation for more taxes.
Post 22 Apr 2017, 23:10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 15299
Location: Bigweld Industries
It always seemed rather hypocritical to me that many people insist upon change for the sake of change in things like UI and fashion etc. but then complain and panic when the climate changes around them.
Post 23 Apr 2017, 00:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E

Furs wrote:
I don't care about it anymore

It's okay, as April 22nd is "gone".

Seriously, the negative attitudes expressed in this thread remind us of the exact reason why we needed such a reminder in the first place. No-one seems to care about mother nature any more. Sad but true. Sad

Wink
Post 23 Apr 2017, 01:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs



Joined: 04 Mar 2016
Posts: 889

YONG wrote:
Seriously, the negative attitudes expressed in this thread remind us of the exact reason why we needed such a reminder in the first place. No-one seems to care about mother nature any more. Sad but true. Sad

Wink

No you misunderstood what I meant. I don't care about this "Earth Day" anymore as in "turn stuff off" etc. What's the point when you make no difference whatsoever anyway to the outcome? It may be symbolic, but after so many years I gave up on this symbolic meaning, since it seems it has zero impact.

For example, coal plants should be banned in my opinion, which is not gonna happen. Though that would be a first step for me to start caring about "contributing" again, because then at least it seems efforts aren't in vain.
Post 23 Apr 2017, 20:05
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E

Furs wrote:
No you misunderstood what I meant. I don't care about this "Earth Day" anymore as in "turn stuff off" etc. What's the point when you make no difference whatsoever anyway to the outcome? It may be symbolic, but after so many years I gave up on this symbolic meaning, since it seems it has zero impact.

No, I did not misunderstand your meaning.

Your "it makes no difference" argument has been proven wrong again and again throughout the history of mankind. The following link gives a classic example, which took place in your country:

United States presidential election, 2000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2000

At the end of the day, every single vote -- or effort -- counts!

Wink
Post 24 Apr 2017, 02:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs



Joined: 04 Mar 2016
Posts: 889
Well sadly I don't live in the US, now that I think about it, this probably explains my pessimism a bit. You know being in an utterly irrelevant environment can get to you Wink
Post 25 Apr 2017, 18:27
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E

Furs wrote:
... I don't live in the US ...

You said, in some other threads, that you supported Trump & his policies. Perhaps you were talking about "spiritual" support, not voting for him. Anyway. I am sorry that I got it wrong.

Wink
Post 26 Apr 2017, 03:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs



Joined: 04 Mar 2016
Posts: 889
Nah, you must have misread, I actually said I disagree with a lot of his policies. But I find him a cool guy because he has balls instead of, you know, doing nothing like most other politicians, who are just empty words. Razz (meaning I appreciate the fact he at least does things, even if I disagree with them, unlike being passive and useless)

On this topic, I completely disagree with Trump's opinion about global warming, and his policies around oil/coal etc... if that means anything. Wink
Post 26 Apr 2017, 12:12
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E

Furs wrote:
Nah, you must have misread, I actually said I disagree with a lot of his policies. But I find him a cool guy because he has balls instead of, you know, doing nothing like most other politicians, who are just empty words. Razz (meaning I appreciate the fact he at least does things, even if I disagree with them, unlike being passive and useless)

I am afraid that he, like other politicians, is nothing but empty words.

Refer to:

Poll: Trump approval even worse with millennials
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/25/politics/trump-harvard-poll-millennials/index.html

Wink
Post 26 Apr 2017, 12:32
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs



Joined: 04 Mar 2016
Posts: 889
I think that's the opposite in fact. People reference in the article are dissatisfied with what he does, not with what he did not do. Either way I don't think it has to do with him not doing anything, but rather that people don't like what he does.

An example cited there is people who said his tweeting is "inappropriate". This is the exact opposite of empty words. He says exactly what some of us are thinking and says it out LOUD, unlike others who try to be more "politically correct".

To be honest that's exactly what I like about him. I think me personally (who didn't get a say obviously) and others who share my opinion, and everyone in the USA who voted for him, mostly did so cause they were beyond sick of the social justice warriors getting offended by anything, and using bullshit words to "appease to everyone" because of them. Basically, a whole lot of text but with zero meaning.

If Trump tweets something that gets people pissed, it actually proves he does something; a politically correct tweet on the other hand has zero value because nobody cares/bats an eye about it Wink
Post 26 Apr 2017, 17:16
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E

Furs wrote:
People reference in the article are dissatisfied with what he does, not with what he did not do.

Let's give the playboy another 100 days. By the end of that period, if the border wall still exists only on paper, you should admit that he is nothing but empty words.

Wink
Post 27 Apr 2017, 02:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AsmGuru62



Joined: 28 Jan 2004
Posts: 1386
Location: Toronto, Canada
Links to CNN?
Fake!
Post 27 Apr 2017, 15:58
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E

AsmGuru62 wrote:
Links to CNN?
Fake!

If at least one forum member says the link is fake, the link MUST BE fake!

The following link is no exception:

Trump barks, but struggles to find his bite
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/27/politics/donald-trump-agenda/index.html

Wink
Post 28 Apr 2017, 04:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Trinitek



Joined: 06 Nov 2011
Posts: 257

YONG wrote:

AsmGuru62 wrote:
Links to CNN?
Fake!

If at least one forum member says the link is fake, the link MUST BE fake!

The following link is no exception:

Trump barks, but struggles to find his bite
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/27/politics/donald-trump-agenda/index.html

Why would he pull out of NAFTA without talking to Canada and Mexico first? He's renegotiating the agreement to put American workers and consumers at a better advantage, which is what he wanted to do all along. He ran on "better trade deals," not "no trade deals." But because he didn't technically pull out, it's a "loss"? Confused This is why I don't read CNN anymore.
Post 28 Apr 2017, 06:07
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E

Trinitek wrote:
But because he didn't technically pull out, it's a "loss"? Confused

He, once again, was unable to "force" the GOP-led House to repeal Obamacare.

Yes, it is considered a BIG, FAT, UGLY defeat for him, politically speaking.

Refer to:

Trump fails to force health care vote in first 100 days
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/25/politics/shutdown-border-wall-obamacare-congress/index.html

That's why I like reading CNN news articles.

Wink
Post 28 Apr 2017, 10:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
INSIDE DONALD TRUMP'S TUMULTUOUS FIRST 100 DAYS
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/politics/state/inside-donald-trumps-tumultuous-first-100-days/

I like the artwork a lot!

Wink
Post 28 Apr 2017, 13:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
Bernie Sanders BRILLIANT takedown of Trump's First 100 Days In Office
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmR6XYVEKWI

Wink
Post 29 Apr 2017, 02:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  


< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2005 phpBB Group.

Main index   Download   Documentation   Examples   Message board
Copyright © 2004-2016, Tomasz Grysztar.