flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > The hatred of the good for claiming to be the best

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Mike Gonta

The hatred of the good for claiming to be the best

http://mikegonta.com

Last edited by Mike Gonta on 20 Jun 2017, 10:36; edited 2 times in total
Post 09 Apr 2017, 22:51
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Yet another broken piece of the web. Sad

Quote:
To use Google Groups Discussions, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings and then refresh this page.

Post 09 Apr 2017, 22:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike Gonta

revolution wrote:
Yet another broken piece of the web. Sad

Quote:
To use Google Groups Discussions, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings and then refresh this page.

http://mikegonta.com

Last edited by Mike Gonta on 11 Apr 2017, 17:52; edited 1 time in total
Post 09 Apr 2017, 23:07
revolution

Some searching revels this link:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/alt.os.development/79RdALctgPg

But I have to say that the post appears to be US centric. Different countries have different laws regarding patents.
Post 09 Apr 2017, 23:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

revolution wrote:
... But I have to say that the post appears to be US centric.

Most people still think that the U.S. is the greatest country in the world even though the truth is ...

Refer to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML3qYHWRIZk

Wink
Post 10 Apr 2017, 02:15
TmX

But can you can patent the idea/algorithm/techcniques implemented in the software?

BTW, I'm not a lawyer, and not a US citizen either
Post 10 Apr 2017, 07:07
revolution

TmX wrote:
But can you can patent the idea/algorithm/techcniques implemented in the software?

BTW, I'm not a lawyer, and not a US citizen either

It depends upon your country's laws, but generally, IME, you can't patent an idea. However you probably can patent an implementation of an idea. The difference is subtle but important. And the difference is also useless in practice because there far too many possible implementations that trying to cover them all is impossible.
Post 10 Apr 2017, 09:50
TmX

revolution wrote:
However you probably can patent an implementation of an idea. The difference is subtle but important

Yeah, I actually meant that. Sorry, bad wordings.
As long as the idea doesn't have a proper implementation, it cannot be patented.
Post 10 Apr 2017, 10:11
rocketsoft

USA:United Sex Addicts
Post 18 Jun 2017, 19:14
YONG

rocketsoft wrote:
USA:United Sex Addicts

Laughing Wink
Post 19 Jun 2017, 01:58
revolution

YONG wrote:
Most people still think that the U.S. is the greatest country in the world even though the truth is ...

Refer to:

Having had a chance to review this video, I think it should be made mandatory Evil or Very Mad (like with W10 reboots now) that everyone watch this. Regardless of whether it is all true or not, at least it might make people reassess their beliefs and see if they are based on facts or myth.

As a small anecdote from my personal experience visiting USA one time: I had allowed 4 hours between arriving at LAX and my connecting flight to Dallas. But my flight into LAX arrived late. And as usual the immigration line was long (why is the US so slow at this?). And after immigration the customs line was also very long (again, why is the US so anal about customs checks?). Anyhow, eventually I made it through all the lines and delays which made me 3 hours and 10 minutes into my 4 hour buffer. Which means I have only 5 minutes to get to the domestic terminal before check-in closes. Since this was my first time arriving in LAX I wasn't sure which way to go to get to the domestic terminal and their were no immediately apparent signs pointing it out. So I thought the fastest way would be to ask the security guard that was standing about 2 meters from me. Me: "Excuse me, which way is it to the domestic terminal?". Guard (pointing to his left): "You can go that way to get to freedom!".

Haha, that comment was so unexpected. And unfortunately it is indicative of the belief of many people there, they truly believe they are in the only free place on the planet. While it might have been amusing to debate the aspects of freedom with him I didn't have the time, and also, he might have decided to shoot me with his freedom gun if I challenged his beliefs. There are further WTF moments later in the domestic terminal, but that is for another time.
Post 20 Jun 2017, 02:57
YONG

revolution wrote:

YONG wrote:

Refer to:

Having had a chance to review this video, I think it should be made mandatory Evil or Very Mad (like with W10 reboots now) that everyone watch this.

Even though my post was dated like the 10th of April, a late yet well-written reply is definitely better than nothing.

Back in my I.T. days, I once had a chance to work on a really big system migration project with a public utility company. The management consultancy branch of a really big international accounting firm was involved, and a few US-based consultants took part in the project. I don't mean to be rude or discriminating, but those arrogant and overcharged consultants from the "free" world always gave the local project team members the impression that they were "better" and "smarter". Yet, the truth was that they, other than being able to speak fluent American English, were pretty average, especially in terms of technical knowledge.

Wink

Last edited by YONG on 20 Jun 2017, 08:10; edited 1 time in total
Post 20 Jun 2017, 03:56
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

revolution wrote:

YONG wrote:

Refer to:

Having had a chance to review this video, I think it should be made mandatory Evil or Very Mad (like with W10 reboots now) that everyone watch this.

I recall this scene, I must have seen the work that it is taken from - but I feel that it has been edited as it misses a few details that made me like it even more originally.
Post 20 Jun 2017, 07:43
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:

revolution wrote:

YONG wrote:

Refer to:

I recall this scene, I must have seen the work that it is taken from - but I feel that it has been edited as it misses a few details that made me like it even more originally.

The unedited version is as follows:

The Newsroom - Opening Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOYBabXmA

Wink
Post 20 Jun 2017, 08:14

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: