flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Feedback > Discord

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Discord
Does any of you use Discord? Even though it advertises itself as focused on gamers, recently it became an instant-messaging channel of choice for me and several friends, mainly because it runs everywhere (well... OK, it does not run on DOS, but I do not feel that I really need to chat from my DOS machine).

So if someone wanted to casually talk about assembly language, we could set up a channel there. There used to be an IRC channel for fasm, but it is probably long gone (honestly, I'd never been visiting it much), maybe some modern options are worth giving them a shot.

Last edited by Tomasz Grysztar on 28 Oct 2017, 17:03; edited 1 time in total
Post 07 Apr 2017, 16:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
zhak

Too much messangers Smile Never heard of this one. I use Viber Skype and Slack. If everyone will be in Discord, probably will give it a try
Post 07 Apr 2017, 17:17
Trinitek

I abandoned Skype for Discord. It's pretty great.
Post 07 Apr 2017, 20:35
YONG

Never heard of Discord. Btw, who picked such a lousy brand name? Discard? Distort? Rolling Eyes

Wink
Post 08 Apr 2017, 03:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

YONG wrote:
Never heard of Discord. Btw, who picked such a lousy brand name? Discard? Distort? Rolling Eyes

Wink

I used to be a fan of Discordianism so to me the name felt appropriate. Wink
Post 08 Apr 2017, 07:29
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
I used to be a fan of Discordianism ...

I just learned a new word. Thanks.

Wink
Post 08 Apr 2017, 14:00
ford

I use Discord. I too have been a fan of Discordianism, and especially "Bob".
Post 08 Apr 2017, 14:06
Enko

I haven't tried discord. For a long while I have been using Telegram. It has mobile, desktop and web version and it makes file sharing easy because they are left in the cloud and can be accessed from anywhere (which might be a pro or con depending or how you view it)

I do agree with discord webpage, Skype is a cpu hog. (bad in windows, horrible in linux, extremely horrible in macos)
Post 10 Apr 2017, 23:37
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

OK, so we may give it a try. You can join the channel I made for fasm:
https://discord.gg/sZxPxwZ
I do not plan to use the voice channels, only text. And I may not always answer immediately. But for anyone interested in a casual chat about assembly that's now an option.
Post 18 Apr 2017, 13:29
YONG

One month elapsed.

How many forum members have tried the new channel? Any feedback?

Wink
Post 18 May 2017, 06:45
Grom PE

Got some people in there, but most are being quiet. Discussions don't happen all the time, but when they do, they're almost always insightful.
Post 18 May 2017, 07:25
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

The JS requirement is keeping me away.
Post 18 May 2017, 11:28
Grom PE

I doubt there any real time online chats left that work without JS. Frames with 15-second refresh were quite a terrible experience.

Granted, would be great to have a real client for Discord (the one they offer is just a webpage wrapped together with Chrome browser), or a gateway to either XMPP or IRC.
Post 18 May 2017, 11:49
YONG

Grom PE wrote:
Discussions don't happen all the time, but when they do, they're almost always insightful.

Can we read those insightful discussions here (without visiting Discord)? Rolling Eyes

Wink
Post 19 May 2017, 02:56
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

YONG wrote:
Can we read those insightful discussions here (without visiting Discord)? Rolling Eyes

Wink

Someone might think of writing a "bot" program that would periodically post copies of chat logs here on forums. Wink In fact, we could then be near having a JS-less client, too.
Post 19 May 2017, 20:52
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Someone might think of writing a "bot" program that would periodically post copies of chat logs here on forums. Wink

I don't want chat logs; I just want insightful discussions!

Wink
Post 20 May 2017, 05:43

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: