flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Coding heresy?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
neville

Coding heresy?
Coding Heresy

I hardly ever browse the Windows sub-forum here because it is generally of no interest to me. However I was recently drawn to it as a result of a robust discussion here in the Heap, being a spillover from another animated thread in Windows.

Let me say at the outset we should all recognise that each of us has a unique set of strengths & weaknesses, abilities & limitations: a product of our unique graduation from the "University of Life". So if we think we know more than somebody else about a particular topic, whether that is actually true or not, we can always rest assured that we will know less about some other topic!

Now when a noob comes here and asks a lot of very basic questions which makes it obvious that they know very little about assembly language (which happens quite often), we have several non-mutually-exclusive choices:
1. patiently answer their questions ad infinitum
2. answer their questions but hope they will bring themselves up to speed by further study
3. don't answer their questions directly but suggest references to them so that they can answer their own questions as their knowledge base increases
4. politely suggest they at least learn about basic X86 architecture, programming models, instruction sets, stack operations etc before they hope to start understanding assembler
5. ignore them completely, perhaps with the thought that somebody else will take pity on them (especially if they have a user name like beautiful_damsel_in_distress).

Which is where conflict often arises: one board member might believe that his help is "better", or that another member's help is really unhelpful and counter-productive. And it quickly degenerates from there...

So let's just remember that we all have choices, and bear in mind my second paragraph above. Nowadays I have to admit I tend to go for choice 5 because it's less stressful Shocked

Post 02 Apr 2017, 02:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

Re: Coding heresy?

neville wrote:
1. patiently answer their questions ad infinitum
2. ...
3. ...
4. ...
5. ...

There is one more choice, which is constantly picked by one of the mods:

6. Trick the noob into visiting the mod's fake website.

Wink
Post 02 Apr 2017, 05:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Trinitek

Re: Coding heresy?

YONG wrote:
There is one more choice, which is constantly picked by one of the mods:

6. Trick the noob into visiting the mod's fake website.

Sometimes, that's the best advice.
Post 02 Apr 2017, 05:53
Furs

I have to admit I really laughed at your point 5 Laughing

I know what you refer to, and in this case I'm partly responsible. However, I cannot stand people who ignore proof and don't admit of being wrong when shown so. It is infuriating to me. I don't mind being wrong, but I absolutely hate people who ignore proof and cling to their fantasy world.

Anyway when someone gives advice to a newbie, I've never actually bashed them for it, even if they are wrong. I just tell them politely why that is so. Not my problem if they start throwing a tantrum after that tho.
Post 02 Apr 2017, 11:27

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: