flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Vizio TV Spies on costumers

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Enko

Vizio TV Spies on costumers
I thought this might be of interest:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2017/02/08/shocking-smart-tv-manufacturer-vizio-spies-on-customers-using-advanced-big-data-analytics/#327ea9e5cb6e

Quote:

Bernard Marr , CONTRIBUTOR
I write about big data, analytics and enterprise performance

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
Play Video
US TV manufacturer Vizio’s underhanded Big Data dealing may have just cost it $2.2 million but I think it is something we can unfortunately expect to see a lot more of.

The FTC this week announced that viewing data of individual households was monitored through a built-in spy device which used image recognition technology. Once every second, software in the Vizio TVs would read pixel data from a segment of the screen. This was sent home and compared against a database of film, television and advertising content to determine what was being watched.

The FTC has revealed that Vizio went further than this – matching data on what was being watched with IP addresses, and selling it, along with third party demographic data, to businesses and organizations with a need for audience measurement.

This week we heard that Vizio paid $2.2 million to settle the FTC complaint, agreed to stop collecting viewing data in this way, and to delete the data it had already collected from its servers. That might seem like a comparatively low figure, but this may be, as Vizio point out in their statement, because personally identifiable information wasn’t transmitted.

This isn’t the first time our smart home entertainment systems have been accused of spying on us. In 2013 LG admitted that voice data was still being captured and transmitted even if users had denied consent for this to happen. And in 2015 there was concern after it was found that Samsung TVs were also recording and sending home “living room chatter”.

Interestingly, and acknowledging that this is likely to be a problem which only becomes more frequent in the future, the FTC put out some suggestions for manufacturers of smart home equipment, to help them steer clear of causing this sort of trouble.

They were:

Explain your data collection processes up front
Get consumer’s consent before you collect and share highly specific information about their preferences
Make it easy for customers to exercise options
Established consumer protection principles apply to new technology.
It is the first and second of these principles where Vizio most spectacularly fell short. Their (clearly ineffective) means of gaining “consent” was through an option presented to the user as “Smart Interactivity”. Customers were informed that leaving this option switch on (its default setting) meant their personal data would be monitored for the vague and undefined purpose of “enables program offers and suggestions.”

Best regards
Enko

Last edited by Enko on 08 Feb 2017, 13:38; edited 1 time in total
Post 08 Feb 2017, 13:28
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

I can't read the link because of JS I expect.

Anyhow, just based upon the text of the title I am not surprised. It is driven by basic greed and lack of respect for the customers. And the CEO needs to support his/her million dollar lifestyle somehow. Won't anyone think of the CEOs?
Post 08 Feb 2017, 13:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Enko

When I was posting, I was just thinking about the javascript thingie xD

Maybe this one would work?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4199138/Vizio-pay-2-2m-tracking-selling-smart-TV-data.html

Quote:
Your 'smart TV' could be spying on you.
Vizio, one of the world's biggest smart TV makers, is paying $2.2million to settle charges that it tracked the viewing habits of 11 million devices without consent.
Vizio then turned that mountain of data into cash by selling it to advertisers and media companies.
The company is being forced to delete all data that it has collected since February 2014.
But concerns have been raised that the Vizio could have spied on millions more viewers across the globe.
Vizio, one of the world's biggest smart TV makers, is paying $2.2million to settle charges that it tracked the viewing habits of 11 million devices without consent. Vizio then turned that mountain of data into cash by selling it to advertisers and media companies
Vizio, one of the world's biggest smart TV makers, is paying $2.2million to settle charges that it tracked the viewing habits of 11 million devices without consent. Vizio then turned that mountain of data into cash by selling it to advertisers and media companies

HOW TO PROTECT YOUR DATA
If you own a Vizio smart TV, default settings mean that your viewing habits and IP address will be shared with third parties.
But you can turn it off if you don't want to share that information using these steps:
-Press 'menu' on your remote
-Select settings
-Highlight 'smart interactivity'
-Press the right arrow to turn it off
Internet-connected TVs sold by California-based Vizio contained Automated Content Recognition software (ACR), a complaint filed on Monday by the US Federal Trade Commission claims.
Without the consent of TV users the ACR software tracked second-by-second viewing information of what was playing on the screen.
It not only spied on satellite TV viewing data but also noted viewers' DVD and Netflix habits.
The software took personal information and merged it with viewing data to sell to advertisers and media companies.
Personal data taken includes users' IP address, meaning that data collected could be targeted to those users through their different mobile devices.
IP addresses cannot be directly used to identify a user, but they are increasingly used to build up a person's profile.

Post 08 Feb 2017, 13:37
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
they probably think it is ok too, to build one high def camera to monitor viewers eye ball movement and track eye activities, this could probably happening inside major laptops, now, yes, right now at this moment, please cover your webcam with sticker, thank you.
Post 08 Feb 2017, 13:44
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
they probably think it is ok too, to build one high def camera to monitor viewers eye ball movement and track eye activities, this could probably happening inside major laptops, now, yes, right now at this moment, please cover your webcam with sticker, thank you.

That is not enough. Also disconnect your speaker and microphone.

Yes, really, I said your speaker also. Because many chipsets are flexible enough to switch the speaker into an input device and it becomes a microphone.
Post 08 Feb 2017, 13:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
can't imagine all the hacked android phones out there,
every android phones are hacked, Laughing Laughing Laughing damn, what phone i gonna use, shit,
Post 08 Feb 2017, 14:29
Xorpd!

I don't get why Vizio has to do this. Ever since Comcast encrypted their signals you have to select your channels through their HD DTA for which there is no problem to send Comcast all your viewing data. And yes, I do have a Vizio TV, although it's not a smart TV, thus not connected to the internet. I keep my Samsung smart TV disconnected from the internet except occasionally to update its software, thus hopefully it's not sending any data through its infamous microphone-equipped smart remote.
Post 08 Feb 2017, 16:10
revolution

Companies do this because they can do this. Not because they need to do this. And not because the customers want them to do this. But that in no way means they should do this.

My solution to this TV spying problem is to simply not have a TV. Even before TVs became "smart" I was already practising this solution. Wink
Post 08 Feb 2017, 16:19
AsmGuru62

So, Vizio has a process to turn this OFF with a remote?
Now, why would they do that?
Unless, they did not 'really' turn it OFF.
Post 08 Feb 2017, 17:38
Xorpd!

I don't see how you can get by without a TV. What I would say is a minimal configuration, 50 in 4K, is about 400 bucks for a low end model at Walmart or Target. How much would one have to pay for what would be marketed as a monitor of at least this size and resolution?
Post 09 Feb 2017, 01:27
YONG

Xorpd! wrote:
I don't see how you can get by without a TV.

I have no TV set. In fact, I have not watched TV for 12 years or so. Everything that I want to watch is available on the Internet. Nowadays, a laptop with a fast wireless connection is all you need!

Wink
Post 09 Feb 2017, 02:53
revolution

Xorpd! wrote:
I don't see how you can get by without a TV.

Oh? I am curious to know what you find mandatory about a TV?
Post 09 Feb 2017, 03:07
sleepsleep

YONG wrote:

I have not watched TV for 12 years or so

sounds very impossible, there are tv sets everywhere, mall, 7/11, coffee house, restaurant, Laughing Laughing
now, this sounds like without oxygen and food for 6 months?
Post 09 Feb 2017, 04:00
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:

YONG wrote:

sounds very impossible, there are tv sets everywhere, mall, 7/11, coffee house, restaurant,

That does not correlate with watching it.
Post 09 Feb 2017, 04:38
ford

The thing that is most criminal is when it opts you in despite you having tried to opt out, and then also opts in people who didn't even buy one of the devices. For example, every Android handset is passive listening device. This can be verified empirically by having a conversation and watching how ads change in aps and web pages where the only computerized device was an Android phone. I assume that if Android phones are doing this that any Google OS enabled device is doing this. Given that Facebook is able to build a decent detection system for non-members who were merely tagged in a photo, I would assume that Google can track people even if they do not opt in to Google's shit. So, now, you do not even need to volunteer information to social media platforms or to Google's searches for tracking... you are being tracked at all times by every smart phone, smart TV, smart toaster, smart fridge, smart car infotainment system, etc...
Post 09 Feb 2017, 04:42
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:

YONG wrote:

sounds very impossible, there are tv sets everywhere, mall, 7/11, coffee house, restaurant, Laughing Laughing
now, this sounds like without oxygen and food for 6 months?

Yeah, LCD TV sets are everywhere. But seeing is different from watching.

Wink
Post 09 Feb 2017, 05:05
sleepsleep

learn something today, see vs watch, they are quite different,

To see means to be aware of what is around you by using your eyes.

To watch means to deliberately look at something for a period of time, especially something that is changing or moving.

"a period of time" is very unclear, Laughing
Post 09 Feb 2017, 06:15
sleepsleep

Samsung warns customers not to discuss personal information in front of smart TVs
https://theweek.com/speedreads/538379/samsung-warns-customers-not-discuss-personal-information-front-smart-tvs

the existence of such news only proves one thing, Embarassed

damn those secret audio recorders everywhere around us,
Post 22 Feb 2017, 21:50
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
Samsung warns customers not to discuss personal information in front of smart TVs
https://theweek.com/speedreads/538379/samsung-warns-customers-not-discuss-personal-information-front-smart-tvs

the existence of such news only proves one thing, Embarassed

damn those secret audio recorders everywhere around us,

Now you should understand why one of the forum members, extremely visionary, stopped watching TV about 12 years ago.

Wink
Post 23 Feb 2017, 02:03
revolution

It is no longer good enough for you to buy and pay for some widget. Apparently you now also have to sell your soul to the data aggregators and in return they will allow you to use the widget.

YOU are the product even when you paid for the widget. The only reason for the widget to exist is to get to you and your data.

So what is next? Internet connected toothpicks? So that your dentist can convince you to spend more money on treatments you don't need.

Internet connected clothing? So that marketers can tell you they are now out of fashion and you have to buy new stuff.

Internet connected forks? Because ... um, I dunno, just because we can. So hurry up and buy them to show everyone how cool you are.

Maybe "smart" devices are a dumb idea? Nobody really needs them. But the corporate overlords absolutely love them; all that worthless ... oops, I mean, all that priceless personal data is worth big bucks. Rolling Eyes
Post 23 Feb 2017, 23:08

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: