flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Feedback > Twitter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Do you use Twitter?
Yes, frequently
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Yes, occasionally
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
No, but I could give it a try if some fasm-related activity was happening there
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No, and I would never go anywhere near it
60%
 60%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Twitter
Are any of the members of this board using Twitter? I recently started to appreciate this medium and I would consider posting some assembly-related shorts there, if there were people interested in it.

Last edited by Tomasz Grysztar on 08 Mar 2016, 22:11; edited 2 times in total
Post 13 Feb 2016, 11:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
randall

Re: Twitter

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Are any of the members of this board using Twitter? I recently started to appreciate this medium and I would consider posting some assembly-related shorts there, if there were people interested in it.

I am "following" you now.

Post 13 Feb 2016, 12:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
idle

What if every user on this board picked his topics, proposed keywords describing each of those topics and posted $keywords, $topic_link in the $admins_to_create_complete_tree_structure_of_this_forum_______topic.
Else there will be more disorder, doubled topics, lazy-to-search users.
Post 13 Feb 2016, 13:27
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

idle: the FAQ/About threads in each subforum have a similar purpose.
Post 18 Feb 2016, 15:24
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

I think the results show that the users of this (very traditional) forum have little in common with the new communities that use media like Twitter. I thought I should look for some new communications channels in case this forum was decaying, but - on the other hand - it seems that it is still not in a bad shape.
Post 08 Mar 2016, 10:37
typedef

Do not confuse appreciation with addiction. Smile
Post 08 Mar 2016, 21:51
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

typedef wrote:
Do not confuse appreciation with addiction. Smile

I'm not all that curious what is the main reason that keeps people there, whether it is appreciation or addiction or something else, as long as it is a good communication channel to popularize assembly programming. But I'm afraid I lack resources to make a good use of such medium. As this forum demonstrates, my influence is limited to a small circle of people that prefer the old and proven methods.
Post 08 Mar 2016, 22:09
idle

something is wrong ... or new ... or perceptual conflict caused by two visions of single (you, TG) person
they say men fall into the mood at about 40
i'm below 30 and seem having same
Post 10 Mar 2016, 22:42
TmX

I still check my Twitter & Google+ accounts for news Very Happy
Post 11 Mar 2016, 01:23
system error

twitter isn't a good place for serious & technical things like assembler. You need a blog for that Tomasz. Don't feel down. You need to expand your fan base to a new demographic ----------->>>>> college students n academica. Don't underestimate their potentials. Only then you can use twitters, fb, WhatsApp and get new chics from all over the world everyday. Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil
Post 19 Mar 2016, 17:35
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

When I feel like writing a blog-like post about programming, I usually just post it on this board. As for the actual blogging, I only ever tried it in Polish language, because only then I feel confident enough about my writing. For an English one I'd perhaps need an editor. (Well, If I did actually had a good editor, I could probably also revisit an idea of writing a book about assembly).
Post 19 Mar 2016, 18:27
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
suggesting YONG as editor since he is teaching english afaik.
Post 19 Mar 2016, 19:10
fasmnewbie

Tomasz

Stop making excuses about writing that book. Your English is fine and better than mine and most people here and obviously better than Wayne Rooney's (afaik, he talks Sanskrit). Beside I believe every publishing house have their own editors. People here maybe seem to be a bit reluctant to help, but you really don't know how many people are indeed willing to help. Send us a small sub-topic that you have completed and people here will help you with the reviews (don't send the entire manuscript though).

There sleepsleep and Yong are offering already. Since I am the lamest coder here, you book must make me understand things or else it won't pass Quality Control. And I've seen many asm books out there, believe me they are not good.

How about Chapter 1, next week?
Post 19 Mar 2016, 20:56
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
suggesting YONG as editor since he is teaching english afaik.

Sure. I am happy to do it if I get paid handsomely! Very Happy Wink
Post 21 Mar 2016, 02:41
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

YONG wrote:
I am happy to do it if I get paid handsomely! Very Happy Wink

What if you were offered double the amount you paid for fasm?
Post 21 Mar 2016, 02:45
YONG

revolution wrote:
What if you were offered double the amount you paid for fasm?

I wish I could do it for free. But I really need to make some cash for the LEJOG and Fast America rides that I am planning to do. Both are expensive bike trips.

Wink
Post 21 Mar 2016, 03:56
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

YONG wrote:
But I really need to make some cash for the LEJOG and Fast America rides that I am planning to do. Both are expensive bike trips.

Sounds awesome. Have fun.
Post 21 Mar 2016, 04:11
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
some of my considerations,

since the main writer is tomasz himself,
and we don't know how much desire and time he is having right now to realize his first fasm book.

and project like this scale would probably take some length of time, maybe a year? idk,

to double check and verify code, and how to deal with something that change in fasmg architecture during writing process?

i think writing the first fasm book, hard cover would be one of the biggest achievement in ones own life time, and having your nick inside that book is also one of the biggest appreciation in ones own life time.

idk how much money (in euro) we really need to gather to have such a book exists on earth, me myself are not in book publishing line.

and we really need to use "money" in the sense to have professional graphic illustrations, editing, text layout arrangement, cover design, and etc.

how about a appreciation page in that book, for euro 50 per nick/name/email, so somehow we could gather fund through such method and realize this book?

my euro 5o is on delivery if tomasz decide to proceed.
Post 21 Mar 2016, 20:04
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

fasmnewbie wrote:
Since I am the lamest coder here, you book must make me understand things or else it won't pass Quality Control. And I've seen many asm books out there, believe me they are not good.

Did you read that old unfinished tutorial I wrote about ten years ago? I mean the second chapter, the one that is actually about assembly. It interests me if it could "make you understand things", since it demonstrates the direction I could take. After many years I still sometimes receive a positive feedback concerning that tutorial (even though it's written in malformed English) and this is one the reasons why I am reconsidering the idea of writing about the assembly language.

sleepsleep wrote:
my euro 5o is on delivery if tomasz decide to proceed.

If I had something written but had trouble publishing it, then I might consider accepting this kind of support, but not until then.
And first I would like to focus on finishing the fasm g 1.0 release.
Post 22 Mar 2016, 19:29
fasmnewbie

Tomasz, you should add the following sub-topic either in Chap 1 or 2;

1) valid immediates that FASM can take, since you are already talking about ASCII, so why not discuss a little about valid immediates. This can save you a lot of explanation/time later because beginners often make this kind of mistakes (e.g, 68o for octal, ' vs ", etc)
2) "I" and "we" - pick only one. Don't use both.
3) Since you are an author of an assembler, you should take a different approach. You should include "Assembling Process (steps, parsing, lexical analysis etc)" in Chapter 1 or 2. Just a short description to save you time much later when messing up with macros (compile time vs assembly time). I think you should include other FASM docs in here.
4) DOS discussion should go somewhere in the Appendix. For historical reason, you can begin with COM or MZ "hello world" there but then you should just quickly skip the DOS discussion to some place else. But that "hello world" is important to meet the expectations of HLL programmers. Kind of a initiation ritual.

That's what I can suggest so far from a quick look of that old tutorial you wrote. Other people may suggest other things. Nice way to go.

N.B Server is sloooowww...
Post 23 Mar 2016, 01:31

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: