flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
title secured, i could sleep well later, Laughing Embarassed
Post 10 Jun 2017, 13:37
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
title secured, i could sleep well later, Laughing Embarassed

Okay. The title is yours. Sweet dreams.

Wink
Post 10 Jun 2017, 14:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

Furs wrote:
The problem with technical support is that you have to waste a lot of time just to convince them you're not an idiot who is saying stupid stuff or did something retarded, because that's what they expect. They don't even take your problem "seriously" at the beginning.

Paid technical support is not always helpful, like you say. But as least you know you are talking to the right people, even if they don't help much. You also have recourse to complain. Or perhaps you want to pay more and get more personal attention. Depends upon what the customer wants. Most companies will be happy to provide service in return for payment.

But without any formal support how do you know who to ask? Maybe someone really can help with some specific problem but who is it and how to contact them? If you ask someone and are told there is no solution how do you know they know? Maybe you were asking the wrong person all along, maybe not. And there is no recourse to complain. No chance to get more person attention because you don't know who is the right person to pay.

Anyhow, not everyone wants technical support. Some are very happy to keep banging away at the search engine hoping for a miracle to find the right combination of buzzwords, jargon and error messages to stumble upon a solution eventually.

tl;dr: Technical support is a thorny subject. No particular method is the "right" method.
Post 11 Jun 2017, 00:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

revolution wrote:
If you ask someone and are told there is no solution how do you know they know?

I don't, you don't have to trust people.

To me there's not much difference (or at all) between "there is no solution, sorry" or "haven't found yet a solution". Meaning even if you don't trust the guy as he was speaking nonsense, you don't have to look for a solution for ages. You just need to judge if it's worth pursuing further or not. Even if there was a solution but it was so obscure that it would take you so long to search for it, it (probably) wouldn't be worth it. So the existence of a solution isn't important, but rather the existence of your knowledge of the solution. A solution can exist but if you (or anyone you ask) doesn't know about it then it's pointless, so why does it matter some random says there's no solution? He could just as well say "I don't know any solution" which amounts to the same thing.

(btw technical support isn't always right either, in most cases actually they're flat-out wrong and unhelpful if you have any non-trivial problem, until you complain to get redirected to someone knowledgeable which can take days via email back and forth)

But anyway, you can use distros with technical support though you'll have to pay for it, I guess. Confused
Post 11 Jun 2017, 14:18
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699

Quote:

If you ask someone and are told there is no solution how do you know they know? Maybe you were asking the wrong person all along, maybe not.

we hope, and we try? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post 12 Jun 2017, 08:21
revolution

When HP accidentally include a debug version of a driver and store keystrokes into a local file it is a huge serious OMFG security problem.

But for some reason when MS deliberately include an inbuilt keylogger and sends everything to a remote location with no indication of who has access to it, nobody seems to think there is problem?
Post 12 Jun 2017, 11:27
sleepsleep

without $$$ to run propaganda or real facts, we can't create forces to override people non-concern,

- how information distribute?
- how feedback help in future output?
- how every point of views measured and judged?

i think, most people simply don't care, like how we always underestimate tonight could be our last night,

if we apply positive values, maybe there is a hope for a new kind of system that could better integrate human communication Embarassed
Post 12 Jun 2017, 15:50
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
most people simply don't care, like how we always underestimate tonight could be our last night

I do care. "Carpe diem" is my motto, indeed.

Wink
Post 13 Jun 2017, 02:59
ProphetOfDoom

If this article is correct you can turn off the Windows keylogger.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2974057/windows/how-to-turn-off-windows-10s-keylogger-yes-it-still-has-one.html
Admittedly, the reason I'm so "complacent" about my "privacy", it's because I'm only using my laptop to develop software that's practically in the public domain anyway (BSD licenced​). If I was a Saudi Arabian homosexual, I probably wouldn't use Windows 10 to write my diary. I'd use Linux or store my diary in my head (I believe our heads are still secure for a couple of years at least...)
Post 13 Jun 2017, 12:47
revolution

ProphetOfDoom wrote:

Are you sure you can trust it? Just because it says it is off doesn't mean it actually is.

sleepsleep wrote:
https://twitter.com/m8urnett/status/866353982217699328

Quote:
I have this Win10 Enterprise vm that I was using to test out various privacy settings. Here's some of the stuff I found out so far...

ProphetOfDoom wrote:
Admittedly, the reason I'm so "complacent" about my "privacy", it's because I'm only using my laptop to develop software that's practically in the public domain anyway (BSD licenced​). If I was a Saudi Arabian homosexual, I probably wouldn't use Windows 10 to write my diary. I'd use Linux or store my diary in my head (I believe our heads are still secure for a couple of years at least...)

You just never know who is examining, processing and analysing your data.

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:
Give me six lines written by the most honourable of men, and I will find an excuse in them to hang him

Remember that little throw-away silly comment you made a few years ago? Well, oops, now you are in trouble! Hehe, yeah, of course I don't know what you may have said, but MS does (and by extension the NSA/CIA/GCHQ/China/Etc. do also). Twisted Evil

Last edited by revolution on 13 Jun 2017, 13:43; edited 1 time in total
Post 13 Jun 2017, 12:57
ProphetOfDoom

You're right, I'm doomed. How ironic.
Post 13 Jun 2017, 13:29
sleepsleep

came to page 25, and you are still using "windows 10", Laughing

Post 13 Jun 2017, 14:28
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:
came to page 25, and you are still using "windows 10"

What should we be using? "Windows Ten"? "Windows X"? Confused
Post 13 Jun 2017, 14:39
sleepsleep

windows 10 definitely a no-go,

a slightly old version, windows 8, 8.1 (embedded), 7, xp, vista, depend on what you need,

open source linux, bsd, but there are so many things to read, Embarassed and try Embarassed,

then the best might be, a dos 64bit, coded by us,

i have no doubt you are capable and having the ability to produce such os, but as usual, you have no to little time for such project, Laughing
Post 13 Jun 2017, 14:53
revolution

I thought you meant it was spelled wrong.

But even if one were to use Windows 7 or 8(.1) then they would also have to make sure to prevent updates that introduce all the spying.

WinXP-SP2 is the still best ever OS. Razz
Post 13 Jun 2017, 15:11
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
came to page 25, and you are still using "windows 10", Laughing

Given the thread-starter's picky requirements, what could we say?

An entry-level Chromebook plus a thoroughly-tested Linux distro is the best bet right now.

Wink
Post 14 Jun 2017, 02:11
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
open source linux, bsd, but there are so many things to read, Embarassed and try Embarassed

That is true. Installation guides are your good friends.

Wink
Post 14 Jun 2017, 02:15
sleepsleep

revolution might need this patch,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025687/microsoft-security-advisory-4025685-guidance-for-older-platforms

Quote:
This section summarizes resources for customers who are running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 8, or Windows Server 2003. At the time of release of this advisory (June 13, 2017), these platforms are no longer in mainstream or extended support.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/win-xp-patched-to-avert-new-outbreaks-spawned-by-nsa-leaking-shadow-brokers/
Win XP patched to avert new outbreaks spawned by NSA-leaking Shadow Brokers
Post 14 Jun 2017, 14:53
revolution

Those patches are for RDP, IIS6 and Exchange server. So anyone running XP with any of those services running might want to look into it.
Post 14 Jun 2017, 15:02
rocketsoft

if u cannot close programs, then i dont want the OS!!!!!
Post 18 Jun 2017, 19:10

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: