flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
probably brick your windows 10 phone

My (very old) Windows phone runs Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2, or something like that. So, I believe that it is pretty safe!

Wink
Post 07 Jun 2017, 02:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

Furs wrote:
When Linux doesn't work with something, or you need to tweak a few commands/files, it's a waste of time and a stupid OS.

Being a power user, I am happy (and able) to do that. However, most of the time, the problems are driver-related and can't be fixed.

Wink

Last edited by YONG on 08 Jun 2017, 02:16; edited 1 time in total
Post 07 Jun 2017, 02:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

revolution wrote:

YONG wrote:
Have there been any major issues with Windows update lately?

My website may help to discover any recent issues. Twisted Evil

You started this thread for discussions of Windows 10. But when there is a legitimate question about Windows Update, you not just ignore it but also attempt to trick the forum member into visiting your fake website. That's why lots of forum members hate you and depart this message board.

Mad
Post 07 Jun 2017, 02:23
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

I'm sorry that you don't see that as a joke. Oh well. But you did ask a dumb question. You waited a few days and got no answer. Ad asked it again. But you could have answered your own question very quickly.
Post 07 Jun 2017, 02:42
YONG

revolution wrote:
I'm sorry that you don't see that as a joke. Oh well. But you did ask a dumb question. You waited a few days and got no answer. Ad asked it again. But you could have answered your own question very quickly.

First, it should have been "And". You don't even have the very basic error-spotting skill.

Second, nope, I don't think that "tricking other forum members into visiting your fake website" is a joke.

Third, if you are not willing to give help, you should just renounce your mod status.

Fourth, my question is not dumb at all. We all know that Windows Update has lots of issues. How come it is "dumb" to ask whether there have been any major issues?

Wink
Post 07 Jun 2017, 03:22
revolution

Thank you for the spelling correction. I am not a perfect typist or a perfect person. I can't change that. Oh well. As long as the meaning is conveyed then I am okay with a few typos. They are no big deal to me.
Post 07 Jun 2017, 03:30
revolution

Hehe, BTW. I expect you haven't visited my website recently so perhaps you are unfamiliar with the content:

Quote:
Someone thinks you are an idiot because you were too stupid to check Google before asking a question. They gave you a link to this site as a joke.

And, yes, we are all idiots at some point or another.
Post 07 Jun 2017, 03:33
Furs

revolution wrote:
I think there is a difference in the two situations. The "Linux doesn't work" might mean when you first try to use it. Whereas the "Windows doesn't work" is probably after an update or installation of something like an AV. But even so I don't see much love being expressed for Windows lately. The UI changes, advertisements, forced reboots etc. turn up many complaints.

Well I meant from other forums of much less tech-oriented users of course (who don't even know how to navigate the registry without holding their hand). Wink

YONG wrote:
Being a power user, I am happy (and is able) to do that. However, most of the time, the problems are driver-related and can't be fixed

That's not entirely true. Sometimes you can just pass a command to the kernel boot parameters (i.e. usbhid.quirks=...) to make it work. Of course you'll have to Google for the solution and the hex codes. Other times you can just find a driver (kernel module) either by 3rd party or the company itself (you will have to compile it though but that's easy once you get the hang of it), though this is somewhat rare. Or other user-land workarounds, depending on the problem.

I personally don't see how this is any different to editing Windows registry or doing stuff like that on Windows. (though, sure, more devices come with proper installers for their drivers, sometimes they have issues though)
Post 07 Jun 2017, 11:00
YONG

Furs wrote:
Of course you'll have to Google for the solution and the hex codes.

To read (or even edit) the hex codes is the job of an assembly programmer, not that of a power user.

Wink
Post 07 Jun 2017, 11:10
Furs

Yeah, I'm sure a BSOD is also for assembly programmers when it gives you the error code in hex. Is that why they changed it to a useless smiley with zero information? Rolling Eyes Clearly the Windows registry doesn't use DWORDs either (which are in hex, if used as masks).

Editing the registry like that is truly a feat only assembly programmers can do. Heck, on Linux it's even easier since you can copy paste it, with registry you need to navigate yourself or create a .reg file.

Oh, NVIDIA also list error codes and hex masks on their troubleshooting page. I guess their support and bug reporting is also for assembly programmers only.

Or is "reading" (aka copying the hex code) a task for normal or power users but "writing" (aka pasting the hex code) for assembly programmers? Help me understand the logic.
Post 08 Jun 2017, 12:28
YONG

Furs wrote:
Is that why they changed it to a useless smiley with zero information? Rolling Eyes

I think so!

Wink
Post 09 Jun 2017, 04:34
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
just a few thoughts, what is the point of customer service if you could google the whole problem and find solution?

then another idea kicks in, customer service having some more value than what google or internet search could provide,

i am the king and queen for dumb questions, please don't steal my title, thank you, Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post 10 Jun 2017, 11:32
Furs

sleepsleep wrote:
just a few thoughts, what is the point of customer service if you could google the whole problem and find solution?

If it's paid, then to scam you off money and for them to get easy money. If it's not paid, to "advertise" their product to the illiterate sheep and give them confidence "look we give 24/7 tech support, don't worry, just BUY IT!!!".

I even know people who went to tech support and paid quite a sum to "fix" their phone when, in fact, all the tech support scammer did was reset it. Sad, but true.

(in fact Linux isn't a saint here either, depending on the distribution, for example RHEL, so I'm not blaming it on Windows/Microsoft only at all)
Post 10 Jun 2017, 11:38
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
what kind of confidence a person / company / group etc could get if without exaggerate?

the honest way might lead a job seeker to unemployment,

if the objective is to fix the phone, yeah, maybe only through pressing power and volume to reset the whole phone, and people paid like 100 usd for such service, maybe that is supply and demand,

i would define scam as getting no result, or fair result as oppose to advertised promised result / output,
Post 10 Jun 2017, 11:50
revolution

sleepsleep wrote:

The problem is that it isn't necessarily always possible or convenient to find a "Google solution" for highly technical things. One can end up finding so many false "solutions" and dead-ends that it becomes a huge time waster (just ask me, I already experienced this first hand). And it is of no help when no solution exists but there is no one to tell you that because the situation never came up before.
Post 10 Jun 2017, 11:51
Furs

To me it's a scam since they don't tell them exactly what they did (for obvious reasons). Paying $50-100 to hold two buttons, seriously? They'd feel scammed so that's the point. Not to mention even the information itself isn't worth more than $0, since it's available online very easily.

@revolution: Technical support is even slower, though. I don't even like asking questions on forums, much less technical support, so I always prefer to find something already solved, it's much faster.

The problem with technical support is that you have to waste a lot of time just to convince them you're not an idiot who is saying stupid stuff or did something retarded, because that's what they expect. They don't even take your problem "seriously" at the beginning.

Well, I guess that applies to software. With hardware you sort of need technical support, since the products can be defective (not by design, but due to manufacturing problem) -- such a thing is not possible with software.
Post 10 Jun 2017, 11:53
sleepsleep

here another idea, garbage in, garbage out,
so, perhaps we need to feed google with correct questions to get desired answers, Idea

or maybe we need to use "please" in our search string, Embarassed
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/16/482343107/a-bit-of-afternoon-cheer-google-charmed-by-grandmas-polite-searches

probably the situations already came up, and the way people describe their problems is totally different from regions to regions,

and usually people keep on pressing next, pages to next pages instead of modifying their query string, Embarassed
Post 10 Jun 2017, 12:26
sleepsleep

@Furs,
and they need to pay rental, maintenance fee, workers salary etc to "help you" press that power + volume in that particular place, and particular time,

surely the information itself is widely known, but still, there are people who don't know, or just simply demand others to solve their issues,

and this actually still something that i still pondering, how to price your product or services in etiquette and win win way
Post 10 Jun 2017, 12:31
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
i am the king and queen for dumb questions, please don't steal my title, thank you, Laughing Laughing Laughing

I guess I could share the title with you, as the Windows Update question I asked in this thread was regarded as a "dumb" one by the thread-starter. Mad

Wink
Post 10 Jun 2017, 12:55
revolution

Sorry YONG, but one dumb question doesn't make you the king or queen. You'll have to try harder. Twisted Evil
Post 10 Jun 2017, 12:57

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: