flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

revolution wrote:
Would you be able to tell the difference?

If the update works, I can definitely tell the difference. Start-up and shut-down times are good indicators.

Wink
Post 10 Mar 2017, 07:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

sleepsleep wrote:
performance is defined totally different from ms windows perspective,

Yah, the performance of the telemetry and spy data will improve many-fold. The performance of the ad delivery will improve multi-fold. The performance of the DRM lockouts will improve uber-fold.
Post 10 Mar 2017, 08:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

YONG wrote:

revolution wrote:

If the update works, I can definitely tell the difference. Start-up and shut-down times are good indicators.

If startup and shutdown are all you care about then indeed measuring those will tell you something, not sure what though. But that in no way tells you about performance during other times. And if you can't notice it then it makes no difference anyway. It's no good being told it is faster, it has to be noticeable else it meaningless.
Post 10 Mar 2017, 08:19
YONG

revolution wrote:
If startup and shutdown are all you care about then indeed measuring those will tell you something, not sure what though. But that in no way tells you about performance during other times.

Windows 10 is no longer my workhorse OS. I just use it for backup and entertaining purposes. So, I do care about startup and shutdown times.

Wink
Post 10 Mar 2017, 09:52
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
if i replace windows 10 with a table fan, this is what is occurring,

- the fan will spins at a speed decided by fan, not you,

- the fan will do fake off, transmit the electricity to another fan using nfc, or do wireless charging to another fan,

- this objective of fan is to fan you, reduce your room temperature, but it will stop working and flashes itself at certain date time, especially the very hot day and you kids down with fever and urgently need this table fan to work as advertised,

- well, sometime the fan will produce some bubbles beside fanning you, they call it ads bubbles,

- forget to mention, this table fan uses a lot of electricity and bandwidth, it tracks how many times you on it, off it, what degree you adjust the fan, gps location, wait, it might have built in mic to capture whatever you said in front of the fan,

- what should you do with this kinda fan, you throw this shit into dustbin, Laughing Laughing Laughing,

- this is exactly like a malfunctioned keyboard, you press 1 character, eg, ffffffff and it produces several of the same, luckily it stops,

- from microsoft windows 10 keyboard,

Quote:
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Post 10 Mar 2017, 10:55
YONG

sleepsleep wrote:
- the fan will spins at a speed decided by fan, not you,

Well, even some really cheap handheld fans have speed control buttons that allow the users to choose between "High" and "Low".

Please think of better analogies next time.

Wink
Post 10 Mar 2017, 12:22
Furs

YONG wrote:

revolution wrote:

Wink

Since when does Windows Update make it faster...?

People complain of "Windows Rot" or "Registry Rot" if installing too many updates or applications always leading to degraded performance. And always suggest making a "fresh install" with updates bundled into the image.
Post 10 Mar 2017, 12:34
ford

YONG wrote:

revolution wrote:
If startup and shutdown are all you care about then indeed measuring those will tell you something, not sure what though. But that in no way tells you about performance during other times.

Windows 10 is no longer my workhorse OS. I just use it for backup and entertaining purposes. So, I do care about startup and shutdown times.

Wink

Every Windows user cares about startup/shutdown times because Windows updates, and software installations all require restarts in Windows. Also, the number one thing to do when troubleshooting any Windows problem: turn it off and on again.

Post 10 Mar 2017, 15:36
Trinitek

ford wrote:
Every Windows user cares about startup/shutdown times because Windows updates, and software installations all require restarts in Windows.

Required reboots for software installs on NT aren't common. Confused The 9x era ended 16 years ago.
Post 10 Mar 2017, 19:23
rugxulo

Trinitek wrote:
Required reboots for software installs on NT aren't common. Confused

I'm not sure. Do env. var. changes take effect immediately? I don't think they (always) do.

Quote:
The 9x era ended 16 years ago.

Support from MS ended in 2006.
Post 10 Mar 2017, 20:42
Trinitek

rugxulo wrote:

Trinitek wrote:
Required reboots for software installs on NT aren't common. Confused

I'm not sure. Do env. var. changes take effect immediately? I don't think they (always) do.

When you update a variable, if your application caches the vars at startup like CMD does with PATH, then you need to restart the application to apply the changes. A reboot is not necessary.
Post 10 Mar 2017, 21:28
YONG

ford wrote:
the number one thing to do when troubleshooting any Windows problem: turn it off and on again.

That is a hilarious truth!

Wink
Post 11 Mar 2017, 02:24
revolution

Automatic forced updates are definitely the best thing to do. Nothing could possibly go wrong, ever. Let's make sure all OSes will force the users to do this, always and forever. Naturally the OS is far more important than the end L-user. The end users shouldn't have any say about it because the OS writers know what they need better than they do. Rolling Eyes

https://betanews.com/2017/03/10/microsoft-admits-mistake-pulls-problematic-windows-10-driver/
Post 11 Mar 2017, 03:22
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                              ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣ Posts: 6699
getting Windows 10 Client Insider Preview - Build 15025 English, x64,
want to see how the latest windows 10 works,

please visit and sign up here, https://insider.windows.com/ if you want to test drive your microsoft windows 10 today, Embarassed

Quote:
About your privacy

Microsoft will collect data about your installation and use of Windows Insider Preview builds to help us improve our products and services. See our privacy statement to learn more.

latest mean you need to give back, Embarassed
Post 11 Mar 2017, 10:59
YONG

I will update my Windows 10 laptop & tablet in the next few days.

Have there been any major issues with the recent updates?

Wink
Post 12 Mar 2017, 06:12
Furs

FYI when I updated the Linux kernel once for security patch it broke my network, 90% of packets would randomly drop. So it was unbearably slow and some things didn't work at all.

The bug fix was released within a few hours, but the point is, updates aren't always "better" because regressions exist, and it's not only "spyware" that's the problem. At least it's super easy to revert the kernel in Linux, not sure how that would be with Windows updates (fully revert with no trace).

Not saying you shouldn't update (if you really want that security patch or feature), but be prepared for it. Ask yourself, if it failed to boot, would you be able to recover from it? If not, you aren't prepared. And of course have backup.
Post 12 Mar 2017, 16:46
revolution

A good example of "upgrades" not always being for the better is anything after XPSP2. Evil or Very Mad
Post 12 Mar 2017, 16:48
YONG

Furs wrote:
Not saying you shouldn't update (if you really want that security patch or feature), but be prepared for it. Ask yourself, if it failed to boot, would you be able to recover from it? If not, you aren't prepared. And of course have backup.

I back up my files regularly. But I have no backup of the OS. So, if the update goes seriously wrong, I will be screwed! (Well, I can still restore my laptop/tablet to the original factory settings that run Windows 8.1, which may be a good thing!)

Wink
Post 13 Mar 2017, 04:44
YONG

revolution wrote:
A good example of "upgrades" not always being for the better is anything after XPSP2. Evil or Very Mad

Actually, I missed Windows 2000, which was an utterly-stable OS.

Wink
Post 13 Mar 2017, 04:46
YONG

YONG wrote:
I will update my Windows 10 laptop & tablet in the next few days.

Just updated my Windows 10 laptop. Everything looks fine!

Wink
Post 15 Mar 2017, 08:13

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: